• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie that OC'd

rrsmith66

imported post

To all: I am new to OCing. I have CC for years. I was coming home from work late (11pm). Stopped at I-95 and 21 Enmark for gas. Port Wentworth police was inside talking to employees. I got the courage to OC inside to make small purchase. Police was eyeing me the instant I walked in. I made my purchase and walked out. Police office followed me and asked if I was LEO. I told him no. He asked if I had CC license. I told him yes and gave it to him. He proceeded to tell me it was not legal to OC carry into a store. I told him to read back of license and told him what the laws of CC and OC are (not word for word). After reading back of license and determining I was not a threat he let me go. We shook hands and I left.

Did I handle this okay???

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

You did pretty good, you remained calm, did what was required of you, and most importantly, didn't freak out.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well it could be useful to have handy to refer to but don't expect that they will accept your copies or that it change what could happen. I have been in a situation where we tried to present some documentation to LEOs and they were not receptive to the act. See the Tonys incident in Manassas.

Pointman

imported post

There are a lot of threads on here about people's experiences with the police. They provide great insight into handling an encounter and what may/may not happen. If you take some time to look through the older threads you'll probably find it well worth it.

Dustin

imported post

Nice to hear a good success story.

Would have been better if the LEO never said a word though.

Of course he would have had to known the LAW which he is cast to protect though. I guess that's too much to ask nowadays :cry:

imperialism2024

imported post

Welcome!

It sounds like you handled it well. Hopefully you sparked the curiousity of the LEO, and afterward he looked up the laws and confirmed what you said.

Anyhow, might be better to move to the Georgia forum?