• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SMITHS on 2100 S and 900 E SLC-security guard encounter

Amendment 2

imported post

Ok fellow OC'ers here is another great open carry story. Tonight on June 25 2008 at about 2200 I was shopping at my local smiths to get some food and I had my glock 23 in serpa holster. which I love by the way. Anyway as I got done doing my shopping I made my way to the front of the store and waited in the self check out line. As I waited in line a security guard came behind me and I turned my head to glance at him. He then walked to the cashier at self check out and then pointed at me and started talking to her. I already knew what was coming. He then came back to me and said :uhoh: You better have a badge with that gun. I then replied no I don't he said we are not allowed to carry on sites I then said you mean you or me he said I cannot carry and neither can you it is store policy. I then replied and said ok well there are no signs out front stating that and can I see the smiths policy he said I do not have it but I can find it :banghead: ya i bet you can. I then repliued can I buy my stuff and then I will leave he said yes. I then said I want to have a policy and your name at the store managers name at you bosses name when I'm done. I then had a store manager come to me and said sir are you a police officer I said no I do work for the Salt Lake County Constables office but I'am not a full fledge officer. She said ok can you cover your gun. I then told her no because i do not have a cwp and if i do cover my gun I could get charged criminally. She said ok well I will call my main manager I said ok. I then bought my stuff and went to customer service. The Secuirty officer then was on the phone with main manager of the store. She asked to speak with me. She was very polite and nice to me she wanted to know why the Secuirty was harrasing me and what was going on. I informed her of what happened and she said Im so sorry I do not have a problem with you or your gun and I was welcome to come and shop anytime. She said that smiths has no known policy against weapons she also remmebered who i was since im a regular. She also stated im actually glad you carry because it makes me feel safe when your in the store. I then got off the phone and told him what she said. His face went :shock: I then got his name and his bosses name. Security officer name was DON CALL with COMMAND PROTECTION AGENCY, Store managers name was Angelina. The Main manager was SHANA WATSON. So just out of curiosty how to people think I handled the situation Im also going to call command and tell them they need to train there officers better what else should I add. negative and postive Comments are welcome. PS I never refused to leave property nor was I asked to leave

Outsider

imported post

I would say that you did very well except for the one point of "I didn't see any signs." As someone said here or UCC, forget which one, that in Utah "No Weapons Allowed" signs have no legal weight. I try to refrain from that myself. Very good though indeed. Do you have a website for Command Protection Agency or contact information for them? I tried to Google them but didn't find anything.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Amendment 2 wrote:
Ok fellow OC'ers here is another great open carry story. Tonight on June 25 2008 at about 2200 I was shopping at my local smiths to get some food and I had my glock 23 in serpa holster. which I love by the way. Anyway as I got done doing my shopping I made my way to the front of the store and waited in the self check out line. As I waited in line a security guard came behind me and I turned my head to glance at him. He then walked to the cashier at self check out and then pointed at me and started talking to her. I already knew what was coming. He then came back to me and said :uhoh: You better have a badge with that gun. I then replied no I don't he said we are not allowed to carry on sites I then said you mean you or me he said I cannot carry and neither can you it is store policy. I then replied and said ok well there are no signs out front stating that and can I see the smiths policy he said I do not have it but I can find it :banghead: ya i bet you can. I then repliued can I buy my stuff and then I will leave he said yes. I then said I want to have a policy and your name at the store managers name at you bosses name when I'm done. I then had a store manager come to me and said sir are you a police officer I said no I do work for the Salt Lake County Constables office but I'am not a full fledge officer. She said ok can you cover your gun. I then told her no because i do not have a cwp and if i do cover my gun I could get charged criminally. She said ok well I will call my main manager I said ok. I then bought my stuff and went to customer service. The Secuirty officer then was on the phone with main manager of the store. She asked to speak with me. She was very polite and nice to me she wanted to know why the Secuirty was harrasing me and what was going on. I informed her of what happened and she said Im so sorry I do not have a problem with you or your gun and I was welcome to come and shop anytime. She said that smiths has no known policy against weapons she also remmebered who i was since im a regular. She also stated im actually glad you carry because it makes me feel safe when your in the store. I then got off the phone and told him what she said. His face went :shock: I then got his name and his bosses name. Security officer name was DON CALL with COMMAND PROTECTION AGENCY, Store managers name was Angelina. The Main manager was SHANA WATSON. So just out of curiosty how to people think I handled the situation Im also going to call command and tell them they need to train there officers better what else should I add. negative and postive Comments are welcome. PS I never refused to leave property nor was I asked to leave

You did AWESOME. On a scale on 1 - 10 Guns...you get 12:celebrate.

NICE JOB

TJ

GeneticsDave

imported post

Outsider wrote:
I would say that you did very well except for the one point of "I didn't see any signs." As someone said here or UCC, forget which one, that in Utah "No Weapons Allowed" signs have no legal weight. I try to refrain from that myself. Very good though indeed. Do you have a website for Command Protection Agency or contact information for them? I tried to Google them but didn't find anything.
I agree, no real need to bring up the signs. Just say, "I wasn't aware of that policy, could I see that in writing?" Then they can take you to a sign or a company policy book. Then say, I would like to speak with your manager if possible.

I think you did a great job, glad to hear there is no policy. Seems that the "no guns policy" may just be something people say to get you to do what they want, just blowing smoke up your rear so to speak.

Anyways, congrats and let's all give Shana Watson a big round of applause :celebrate

Amendment 2

imported post

Outsider I do have the contact info it is 801-546-2889. how to you quote someone and re post it

Amendment 2

imported post

thanks tj and dave. ya it does sound like it is just something they say which is BS. do you guys have any opion on what I should tell command and there boss

GeneticsDave

imported post

Amendment 2 wrote:
thanks tj and dave. ya it does sound like it is just something they say which is BS. do you guys have any opion on what I should tell command and there boss
I would just tell him what happened. Make sure he understands that his employee was telling you incorrect information. I wouldn't insinuate that the security guard was lying, but I would ask him to make sure that the guards KNOW the policy before they enforce it. Make sure you reiterate that Smiths does not have a policy like this and his guards could potentially be damaging Smiths by giving incorrect information and causing customers to cease business with the grocery store.

Honesty will get you the furthest. Please let us know how the conversation goes and what the general tone is from the security company. I think the managers could use a nice follow-up letter from you with information on how the talk with the security company went as well.

Good luck!

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yay! nice job!

but it was kinda hard to read your post, you could try like this next time

me: yes its real

guard: bla bla bla bla bla

me: yes it is legal

me:I told you so

Just a thought...

Outsider

imported post

Amendment 2 wrote:
Outsider I do have the contact info it is 801-546-2889. how to you quote someone and re post it
Thanks.

To quote someone as you are looking at the topic posts, if you want to quote what I just said right of that topic this is a "Quote" button and "Reply" buttons. You just click "Quote" instead of "Reply." If you want to multi quote you have to do some C&Ping because this forum, from what I've found, doesn't have a multi-quote feature like XDTalk.com does.

Amendment 2

imported post

Outsider wrote:
Amendment 2 wrote:
Thanks.

To quote someone as you are looking at the topic posts, if you want to quote what I just said right of that topic this is a "Quote" button and "Reply" buttons.  You just click "Quote" instead of "Reply."  If you want to multi quote you have to do some C&Ping because this forum, from what I've found, doesn't have a multi-quote feature like XDTalk.com does.

your welcome.

lets see if this quote works

Amendment 2

imported post

usSiR wrote:
Yay! nice job!

me: I told you so

Just a thought...

Ya im tired my spelling isnt up to par right now. lol.

Amendment 2

imported post

usSiR wrote:
Yay! nice job!

me: I told you so

Just a thought...

Ya im tired my spelling isnt up to par right now. lol.