• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy here

Wheel

imported post

Hello all, first time here. I used to visit defensivecarry.com multiple times daily, but was just banned because I voiced my opinion about the needless killing of pigeons (I'm against it). Some members felt I should be killed for that opinion, and I voiced my dissapointment that the people there will alienate those of us that are pro 2a but dissagree with some of their other philosophy.

Apparently, if you are not a hunter and have a problem with killing animals simply because they pose a nuisance, you are not wanted at DC.com. I find it very interesting, that a web-site dedicated to freedom would be so hypocritical and one-sided, unwilling to engage in coversation. This type of action is what helps foster and reinforce the feeling that pro-gun people are "nuts" and 'rednecks' etc...

I know this forum is dedicated more to opencarry, and that is fine with me. I have a CFP and prefer to be concealed, but am truly interested in the open carry movement and wouldn't mind doing what I can to help. I hope I won't be strung up here for my beliefs as I was at dc.com. Funny, because I'm in a good position to push the 2a movement forward in areas traditionally very anti. I'm a PETA member, I'm a total vegan. I'm the type of person that generally is so anti they can't see straight when the topic comes up. That means I, and others like me, have the rare ability to get inside the heads of antis that share our beliefs elsewhere.

It saddens me and dissapoints me greatly that those at dc.com don't see that value, and have even started me second-guessing my support of the new law allowing CCW in National parks.

Anyway, sorry about the rant, and hello!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Welcome aboard, we try to keep topics somewhat gun or freedom related around here. Hunting is along the edge of the central focus of the forum. I'm sure we have folks on both sides of many issues and spectrums but for the most part share a common passion for our freedom and liberty and our right to keep and bear arms. So I hope you feel welcome.

Walleye

imported post

Wheel, this is a pretty diverse group of people, and the only thing we can all seem to agree on is being armed at all times and not being forced to disarm against our will. ;)

Welcome aboard.

Wheel

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Welcome aboard, we try to keep topics somewhat gun or freedom related around here. Hunting is along the edge of the central focus of the forum. I'm sure we have folks on both sides of many issues and spectrums but for the most part share a common passion for our freedom and liberty and our right to keep and bear arms. So I hope you feel welcome.

That's great to hear. Defensivecarry.com presents itself as a concealed carry forum, but allows topics that are not related that may be offensive. I initially started off by asking whether or not the topic really belonged there, and that is when it was suggested that the marksmen that shot the pigeons be called in to shoot at me. And then it was suggested that all the PETA members should be shot.

Yet, I was the one banned. Go figure.

Anyway, I hold certain beliefs and understand that other people have theirs. I come to a 2a/gun/freedom forum to discuss exactly that, and I don't think cheering on the debatable practice of killing birds that bother you belongs in such a place.

I'm ranting again, I know.. Just really irritated by the whole "youve been banned" message. Thanks for the welcome :D

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Except for a few short discussions re: hunting rifles I don't recall any conversation about the topic in the general sub-forums, although there could easily have been some in state forums I missed. Regardless, they are rare and easy to just avoid if you find them distasteful.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Welcome to OCDO (opencarry dot org)!

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate events. Sadly there are those in this world who would fight so readily for one freedom only to throw others away.

I hope you find many friends on this forum, many here exhibit pleantly of atributes you would find attractive. And if you get a chance to attend one of the picnics by all means bring some delicious vegan food, I'm sure someone will be brave enough to try.

Flintlock

imported post

I am sure there are lots of hunters that frequent this site, myself included, but this site is full of good natured individuals and all are welcome to post here. My freezer is full of moose and shark meat and I am a member of organizations that combat yours,but I respect the opposite opinions of others and will not chastise you for having a differing opinion as long as we all get the same treatment.

I have also been "scolded" at the site you mentioned and rarely, if ever post there anymore.

Welcome to this forum Wheel. Please post your knowledge and experiences so that we may all gain from them.

Wheel

imported post

Well thanks for the warm welcome!

I carry a Kahr P40, a Kahr Mk9, and a Kel-Tec P3AT. Obviously, most of my guns are well suited to concealed carry. The Mk9 is actually my wife's, but until she gets her CFP, it's MINE lol.

Looking to add a G19 to the mix when $$ allows :D

Legba

imported post

As for the pigeon question, we'll have to disagree. We have a couple of large flocks of them living in a couple of attics on my block and they are to the point of causing structural damage to homes. I'm all for sniping the bastards at this point. Bird droppings carry diseases also, so it's not merely a "cosmetic/esthetic" problem. Nothing against them otherwise, but it's like the introduction of coyotes into Ohio. They're not a native species and they are a problem - the Department of Natural Resources here would be happy if they went extinct locally.

I don't propose banning you for your views however. Welcome.

-ljp

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Wheel wrote:
Hello all, first time here. I used to visit defensivecarry.com multiple times daily, but was just banned because I voiced my opinion about the needless killing of pigeons (I'm against it). Some members felt I should be killed for that opinion, and I voiced my dissapointment that the people there will alienate those of us that are pro 2a but dissagree with some of their other philosophy.

Apparently, if you are not a hunter and have a problem with killing animals simply because they pose a nuisance, you are not wanted at DC.com. I find it very interesting, that a web-site dedicated to freedom would be so hypocritical and one-sided, unwilling to engage in coversation. This type of action is what helps foster and reinforce the feeling that pro-gun people are "nuts" and 'rednecks' etc...

I know this forum is dedicated more to opencarry, and that is fine with me. I have a CFP and prefer to be concealed, but am truly interested in the open carry movement and wouldn't mind doing what I can to help. I hope I won't be strung up here for my beliefs as I was at dc.com. Funny, because I'm in a good position to push the 2a movement forward in areas traditionally very anti. I'm a PETA member, I'm a total vegan. I'm the type of person that generally is so anti they can't see straight when the topic comes up. That means I, and others like me, have the rare ability to get inside the heads of antis that share our beliefs elsewhere.

It saddens me and dissapoints me greatly that those at dc.com don't see that value, and have even started me second-guessing my support of the new law allowing CCW in National parks.

Anyway, sorry about the rant, and hello!
Welcome.

I swear a lot.

I have a one sided, bigoted opinion of Glocks and XS Big Dot Sights.

Welcome to the board.

Wheel

imported post

Legba wrote:
As for the pigeon question, we'll have to disagree. We have a couple of large flocks of them living in a couple of attics on my block and they are to the point of causing structural damage to homes. I'm all for sniping the bastards at this point. Bird droppings carry diseases also, so it's not merely a "cosmetic/esthetic" problem. Nothing against them otherwise, but it's like the introduction of coyotes into Ohio. They're not a native species and they are a problem - the Department of Natural Resources here would be happy if they went extinct locally.

I don't propose banning you for your views however. Welcome.

-ljp

Well, I didn't realy hope to get into the discussion of pigeons here, I guess that is why I thought it was out of place at DC.com. I don't think these issues belong on such a forum.

However, FYI:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/epi/epi-pigeon.shtml

As you can see, the pigeons pose an extremely small, if not nonexistant health problem to those that aren't already dying. IMHO, the extremely minor health risk that may be present by the minimal droppings at the tennis match do not justify killing the animals in question, nor do I believe it would justify killing the birds in your neighborhood. If the animal are nesting in your neighbor's attics, there are ways to prevent that. The birds don't have to be killed to be shoo'd off. There is a reason they are there. A food source, and a nice place to nest. Remove the nesting site and the source of food, and they will go away.

We have a small group of pigeons (2-6) come through every so often, and they leave just as quickly as they came. There is no food for them here, and no place for them to nest.The point is that killing a few birds will not solve the problem, but it will end the life of a being. I think a better solution would be to solve the problem at it's root, rather than simply nipping off a few branches here and there.

Okay, that's it. Back on topic. I really did not come here to discuss pigeons. I felt I should insert my opinion, however, so that you could see that I'm not an extremist. Rather, I'm a logical thinker, and logically, killing the birds is wrong not only morally, but practically as well.

Yay!

Legba

imported post

It's also not "likely" for a given person to be raped, robbed, or murdered, but we here take what we consider reasonable provisions for our security. Others may disagree, and that's fine - I'm not selling anything.

I'm also inclined to think that acts don't have intrinsic moral value. Killing is something most people consciously dread, but everyone - vegans included - lives parasitically from the deaths of other living things. Just a thought.

-ljp