• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Chicago

KT

imported post

Hello, everyone! I'm from Missouri; I have CCW and generally carry in my SUV console a loaded Glock.

In July, I'm driving my two sons (I'm female) up to Chicago to do some museuming. We're staying on the Magnificent Mile and plan on parking there and walking or trolleying anywhere we need to go.

Do I correctly understand that I just need to leave my handgun at home? It appears that IL and esp Chicago laws are very tight against carrying of any sort. Am I reading that correctly?

It sounds interesting to me that in a place where all the "bad guys" notoriously have their guns already, the skilled, educated citizen is prevented from carrying.

Thanks for your help! :)

KT

frmr_marine58

imported post

KT,
I’m originally from Chicago and from my experiences I can tell you that in order to even be in a gun store, you must apply for a F.O.I.D. Card, (Fire Arms Owner I.D.) I worked as an armed security guard and had to show my FOID Card every time I went into a gun store. Now as the laws, I left Illinois back in the mid 90’s so the laws might have changed, but I doubt it as Mayor Daily has been in office since I left.
As for the State vs. Chicago; back in the 90’s if you had a CCW or permit issued through the State, you still had to register the weapon and apply for another permit to carry the weapon within the City limits. I’m not sure if State Law requires you to register the weapon as soon as you enter the State, but you can register your gun at any gun store, wait and pay a fee for a FIOD Card. (IL. Way of taxing gun owners).
The good news is that my friends (who still live in Chicago) tell me that crime has dropped significantly as the projects have been torn down and YUPPIE condos have been built in their places.

Frmr_Marine58

Solitaryman

imported post

[suP]You've got your information backwards. I presently live in Chicago and your last statement [/suP][suP]is wrong. Because the projects have been torn down, the crime rate, especially shootings and [/suP][suP]murders, are up despite what the politicians say. Also, the past two weekends have seen an [/suP][suP]increase in police involved shootings, as though they're trying to even the score. You're right [/suP][suP]about one thing, as long as Daley's in office, it'll be a tough fight for open carry. It's funny how those people who oppose private citizens carrying guns fall in one of two categories. They're either allowed to carry a gun or are surrounded by people who are allowed to carry a gun. Since criminals are already breaking the law with their intent to commit crimes, the laws seem to take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens and makes us targets.[/suP]

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Solitaryman wrote:
[suP]You've got your information backwards. I presently live in Chicago and your last statement [/suP][suP]is wrong. Because the projects have been torn down, the crime rate, especially shootings and [/suP][suP]murders, are up despite what the politicians say. Also, the past two weekends have seen an [/suP][suP]increase in police involved shootings, as though they're trying to even the score. You're right [/suP][suP]about one thing, as long as Daley's in office, it'll be a tough fight for open carry. It's funny how those people who oppose private citizens carrying guns fall in one of two categories. They're either allowed to carry a gun or are surrounded by people who are allowed to carry a gun. Since criminals are already breaking the law with their intent to commit crimes, the laws seem to take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens and makes us targets.[/suP]

My sentiments exactly!!

2nd Amendment.........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

KT

imported post

Wow... thanks for all of the good info. It looks like I'll definitely be leaving it here. How sad.

In reference to those who oppose OC and CC, I guess I don't mind debating the issue when they're at least intelligent and informed, but I have to admit, I've run across VERY few "intelligent and informed" who oppose.

My bottom line argument always seems to be that the criminals are going to have weapons, anyway - and I don't plan on bringing a knife to a gun-fight, so to speak, if ever, God forbid, the situation called for it.

Thanks for your insights and help! :)

~KT~