• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I don't OC more often

357luvr

imported post

I used to be quite the popular poster here but had decided a while back to carry primarily concealed. Because of this, I faded away. However, personal circumstances have forced me to carry openly for the next forseeable future. Tonight was the first time I'd OC'd in over a year. I had to go get gas and only had a handful of change to pay for it. So having been in that position earlier in my life, I decided to be nice and wait until shortly after midnight before going. Just FYI - I was wearing a G27 with a scherer +2 extension that makes the firearm look admittedly odd.

Guy - that a BB gun or something?
Me - no, it's a Glock
Guy - You sure? (WTF) It sure looks like a BB gun.
me - silence
Guy - So they're legal to carry in this state
me - yup
Guy - In my state we carry shotguns. I'm from west virginia.
me - I can believe that. (I swear it came out a lot less rude than it sounds)
Guy - Goes on to say that a guy once put a shotgun to his head and he pushed it away and beat him after taking the gun after which he called the cops on the guy that pulled the gun.
me - <insert polite laugh here> That's what you do.
Guy - So you LE or something?
me- nope
Guy - So why you carrying a gun?
me- Just doing my part to protect the country. (already thought of a new line, Just trying to keep freedom free. What do you think about that one?)
Guy - So your military then?
me - nope
Guy - Oh I get it, you're a terrorist hunter!
me - <insert slightly rolled eyes here>
Guy - You gonna hunt down Osama?
me - I'd like to
Code:
So how did I do. I'm admittedly a little rusty on talking to people about the gun that's on my hip but overall, for someone who hasn't had to go through something like this for many months, how'd I do? Is there anything you'd suggest about the way I handled it?

EDIT: Don't know what I did to put the final comments in a box with green text but oh well I guess.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think you did fine.

Sometimes it's tough when the person tries to play up the "cool" angle, and you want to bring it back to reality without hurting their feelings or being condescending.

Glad to hear you're OCing again too. In terms of raw numbers, I CC more than OC, but I really enjoy the opportunity to talk with folks about it when OCing. There is a lot of ignorance and misinformation these days, and if they don't hear the truth from us, they're not likely to hear it anywhere else.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

"I'm from west virginia."

The End.

Don't talk to people, at all. That is another constitutional right you have. You handled yourself just fine, but being discouraged by dumb people and anti's should not stop what you believe in. If you can't CC then OC, but don't stop carrying your weapon just because people are dumb.

357luvr

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
"I'm from west virginia."

The End.

Don't talk to people, at all. That is another constitutional right you have. You handled yourself just fine, but being discouraged by dumb people and anti's should not stop what you believe in. If you can't CC then OC, but don't stop carrying your weapon just because people are dumb.
Yeah, I knew once he said that he was from west virginia that the chances of the conversation going well were slim to none. Once he started talking about having a shotgun pointed at his head I figured it was all a bunch of BS and that he no longer deserved my attention. I still kept an eye on him for sake of situational awarness but I feel the conversation was doomed from "Is that a BB gun?"

Aberk

imported post

I was at radio shack and the credit card pad was acting up. The clerk joking said I should just take my gun out and shoot it. I kinda forced a laugh and said that would be a really bad idea.

tdyoung58

imported post

I CC more than I OC due to the demographics of living here in Central PA. Being sort of in the middle of Harrisburg and Lebanon is like being in a cespool stupidity. I swear they obviously put someting in the water to keep people dumb around here. Or maybe it's just the proximity to the state capital.

Luckily the LEO's seem better informed of the actual laws than most of the state of PA.

Legba

imported post

Proximity to Three Mile Island, no doubt... (which I took photos of just after the accident, only to have them not get developed at the drug store I took the film to. This might be unremarkable that some pics got screwed up, except that I know another person that this happened to as well - all such photos were "disappeared." Anyway, anybody taking pics of a nuclear powerplant these days is likely to be summarily executed, so no chance of repeating this experiment.)

-ljp

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Legba wrote:
Proximity to Three Mile Island, no doubt... (which I took photos of just after the accident, only to have them not get developed at the drug store I took the film to. This might be unremarkable that some pics got screwed up, except that I know another person that this happened to as well - all such photos were "disappeared." Anyway, anybody taking pics of a nuclear powerplant these days is likely to be summarily executed, so no chance of repeating this experiment.)

-ljp

Digital Cameras. :cool:

Legba

imported post

They won't keep Homeland Security from renditioning you to Romania.

-ljp

Vegassteve

imported post

Legba wrote:

-ljp
Please step away from the drugs and the tin foil hats. Your right the govt had all kinds of time on its hands to make sure that drugstores didnt let any film get developed.

Legba

imported post

I admit it sounds kooky, but forthe identical thing to have happened to another person I met - how do you explain it? Radiation would have zapped the entire rolls. It was only pics of the power plant that did not get developed, or returned anyway.

And the government does, apparently, have nothing better to do than obtain cell phone records from service providers. They can peruse your borrowing choices at the library, obtain "trap and trace/PEN register" taps on phones without a FISA warrant, etc.

If they government wanted to plant a chip in your body to track your movements, you'd be rightly concerned about an infringment of your liberty. But then they don't reallyneed to since you pay for the privilege with your cell phone, which the providers have just obtained immunity for providing them records of. Why would they need that if this was all above-board?

I don't make these things up. I think it's entirely plausible that some kid at a drug store film department called the FBI when he saw nuclear power plant cooling tower pics from PA at around that time.

I've had dealings with the FBI before - no tin hats involved, sorry.

-ljp

packnrat

imported post

Legba wrote:
I admit it sounds kooky, but forthe identical thing to have happened to another person I met - how do you explain it? Radiation would have zapped the entire rolls. It was only pics of the power plant that did not get developed, or returned anyway.

And the government does, apparently, have nothing better to do than obtain cell phone records from service providers. They can peruse your borrowing choices at the library, obtain "trap and trace/PEN register" taps on phones without a FISA warrant, etc.

If they government wanted to plant a chip in your body to track your movements, you'd be rightly concerned about an infringment of your liberty. But then they don't reallyneed to since you pay for the privilege with your cell phone, which the providers have just obtained immunity for providing them records of. Why would they need that if this was all above-board?

I don't make these things up. I think it's entirely plausible that some kid at a drug store film department called the FBI when he saw nuclear power plant cooling tower pics from PA at around that time.

I've had dealings with the FBI before - no tin hats involved, sorry.

-ljp
can not say for three mile island...but the gov does have certen "request" of shops that delovep film for photos.

try a couple nude photos of your young looking (but over 21) girl friend...see what happens.:what:

:shock:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

357luvr wrote:
me- Just doing my part to protect the country. (already thought of a new line, Just trying to keep freedom free. What do you think about that one?)

No offense, but I can see why he came out with the "terrorist hunter" comment. Your response would indicate you seem to feel terrorists are real. I would advise you to ignore government fear-mongering, and I would suggest you will have better results if you try an approach that seems a little less paranoid (whom exactly are you protecting the country from? Terrorists seems like a likely bet. Too bad they don't exist).

How about, "I'm just taking responsibility for the safety of myself and those around me."

You're not going to get anywhere with Democrats and the like if you obviously buy into all this BS fear-mongering and propaganda, trying to "keep the country safe." I've got news for you, our country is perfectly safe. It's you and I, as individuals, who need to be defended.

And PLEASE don't use the "keeping freedom free" line. I think I'm gonna vomit. :quirky That kind of sloganeering may work with those who already agree with you, but then you're just preaching to the choir. Part of the benefit of OC is getting to educate those who are ignorant. And PLEASE don't buy into all the partisan BS. America is no more "left" and "right" than it is up or down. It's just the politicians who are. There are many people on the "left" who are open to what we are trying to accomplish. Buying into the lies and blinding yourself to that fact is counterproductive. We'll never get those people on our side if we treat RKBA as a partisan or (god forbid) "conservative" issue. There is nothing conservative about defending liberty.

Edit: to be fair, I think the value of the militia in defending our home has been neglected in modern mainstream political discourse. In that we are ALL doing our part to keep our country safe from invasion by owning guns, I agree. I just don't think you're going to win anybody over to our side by claiming that the purpose of you carrying is "doing my part to protect the country."

Flyer22

imported post

Marshaul, I don't want to go OT too badly, but quite frankly, you don't know what you're talking about. I VERY strongly suggest that youread of the things that al-Qaida people have posted on the internet, especially Osama bin Laden's declaration of war against America.
(Available here.)
http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/opf980830a.htm

As a matter of fact, one of the biggest reasons that we've been attacked is the existence of the Constitution. Using man-made law instead of Sharia lawis considered in certain circles to be very wrong. If you read that link carefully, you will see that bin Laden mentions that very point.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Osama bin Laden cannot declare war on America, any more than you can declare war on Afghanistan. :quirky

The guy is a lunatic, not worthy of our attention. Last I heard, he lives in a cave, in a cultural and technological backwater. If you think you will ever have the opportunity to defend yourself against him or his goons, I'm afraid it's you who doesn't know what you're talking about.

Just look at 9/11. We LET that happen. The hijackers didn't bypass airport security, in fact used weapons which they were allowed to bring on the plane. There was no attempt to stop the hijackers by any passengers or crew on any of the flights that managed to hit their "objective"; in large part due to airline policy at the time, which was to allow hijackers to commandeer planes without resistance. With passengers and crew completely disarmed by the Federal Government, the hijackers managed to accomplish their goals using box cutters.

Our government holds the responsibility for allowing such things to be easily accomplished by a group of unskilled fanatics. A single gun on board any one of those planes could have saved hundreds of lives. Yet, because we allow our government to "protect us" (out of fear, I might add), there could not have been any guns on those planes.

The hijackers of 9/11 did not execute a sophisticated "terrorist" attack. They exploited a loophole, one which was created by the fear-mongering U.S. Government, as a result of policies which exist supposedly to prevent exactly such events.

So, yes, terrorists "exist." However, if Americans didn't rely on our government for protection (something we do because of fear), there would never have been an opportunity for them to ply their trade here, in a free country.

Wake up.

Besides, if you really think hatred for America is fueled not by foreign interventionism, but by hatred for our Constitution....
I mean seriously, how many would-be Arab terrorists would even know America HAS a Constitution, if Osama didn't tell them?

Aside: I think when you declare a firearm before a flight, instead of having to check it, you should get a couple packages of these, included with the price of your ticket, in your caliber of choice:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=263017

Edit: I did bother to look at bin Laden's ravings, and it turns out I was right. The entire "Declaration of War" is a list of (imagined or real) transgressions by America and its "allies" against the Muslim people. He only mentions the violation of Shari'a in relation to these supposed transgressions. Nowhere does he suggest that America needs to destroyed because we have a constitution, it is because (he claims) we have caused Shari'a to be replaced by "man made" law in Muslim countries.

Look, truth be told, I don't buy one bit of what bin Laden says. But since YOU posted this document of his, I feel obliged to point out that, whatever the man believes, what he is claiming is that, thanks to U.S. interventionism in the Muslim word, (and I quote) "The people of Islam [have] suffered from aggression, iniquity and injustice imposed on them by the ZionistCrusaders alliance and their collaborators..."

At this point he goes only to list a number of countries supposedly suffering "massacres" at the hands of "a clear conspiracy between the USA and its' allies and under the cover of the iniquitous United Nations":
Lebanon, Tajakestan, Burma, Cashmere, Assam, Philippine, Fatani, Ogadin, Somalia, Erithria, Chechnia and in BosniaHerzegovina
You will note that these countries, every one, historically have a large Muslim population; thus they are (in his view) Islamic nations. So, in fact, his gripe is clearly with the usurpation (as he sees it) of Shari'a law in Muslim countries, and has absolutely nothing whatever to do with the U.S. Constitution or any laws that we have within our own country.

His claims, frankly, don't have any validity, and he certainly doesn't back them up with hard evidence. The only reason people buy his bull is because the U.S. consistently displays interventionist foreign policy. Which was my original point with this edit: interventionism is what creates antipathy towards America, not our Constitution.

Carolina40

imported post

" I was wearing a G27 with a scherer +2 extension that makes the firearm look admittedly odd."

(insert frown, sad eyes) - this is my rig and I think it looks fantastic. Odd? no way...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Marshaul,

Shari'a law is also man made law.

The only non-man made law I can think of is the natural Law of Survival. "Survival of the fitist"
The right to self-defense!

Yata hey