• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

STATE PARKS

Amendment 2

imported post

Does anyone know if it is legal to open carry in and on state parks without a cwp. By state parks I mean like echo lake and scofield resevoir and stuff like that

Cykaos

Opt-Out Members
imported post

R651-612-1. Weapons Prohibited.
Possession or use of firearms, including air and gas powered types, traps and all other devices capable of launching a projectile which could immobilize, injure, or kill any person or animal or damage property are prohibited in the park system unless:

(1) The weapon or device is unloaded and cased or otherwise packed away to prevent its use in the park area.

(2) The weapon or device is being used for the legal pursuit of wildlife, see R651-614, or in accordance with UCA 53-5-701 Concealed Weapons Act.
(3) The weapon or device is being used by authorized enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Slow down buddy. I don't know where you got your old text, but this is how it now reads. Discharge, not possession.

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r651/r651-612.htm

As in effect on May 1, 2008

R651-612-1. Unlawful Discharge of Weapons or Firearms.

The discharge of weapons or firearms, including air and gas powered types, and all other devices capable of launching a projectile which could immobilize, injure, or kill any person or animal or damage property are prohibited in the park system unless:

(1) The weapon or device is being used for the legal pursuit of wildlife as per R651-614.
(2) The use of the weapon or device is authorized by a Special Use Permit or an authorized event as per R651-608.
(3) The weapon or device is used in accordance with UCA 53-5-701 Concealed Weapons Act, or UCA 76-2- 402, 76-2-403, or 76-2-405.
(4) The weapon or device is being used by authorized law enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties in accordance with UCA 76-2-402.

Amendment 2

imported post

So correct me if im wrong it sounds like you are allowed to oc on state parks without a permut

SGT Jensen wrote:
Slow down buddy.  I don't know where you got your old text, but this is how it now reads. Discharge, not possession.

The discharge of weapons or firearms, including air and gas powered types, and all other devices capable of launching a projectile which could immobilize, injure, or kill any person or animal or damage property are prohibited in the park system unless:

(1) The weapon or device is being used for the legal pursuit of wildlife as per R651-614.
(2) The use of the weapon or device is authorized by a Special Use Permit or an authorized event as per R651-608.
(3) The weapon or device is used in accordance with UCA 53-5-701 Concealed Weapons Act, or UCA 76-2- 402, 76-2-403, or 76-2-405.
(4) The weapon or device is being used by authorized law enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties in accordance with UCA 76-2-402.

SlimsBFG

imported post

Amendment 2 wrote:
So correct me if im wrong it sounds like you are allowed to oc on state parks without a permut

SGT Jensen wrote:
Slow down buddy. I don't know where you got your old text, but this is how it now reads. Discharge, not possession.

Yeah, that's how I take it!

If a bear/mountain lion/homicidal maniac/rabid squirrel (hehe)acosts you, protect yourself/others FIRST, then deal with the legal ramifications/consequences later...No jury of your peers would convict you for surviving an attack like that!!!

Amendment 2

imported post

ok then sounds good to me

SlimsBFG wrote:
Amendment 2 wrote:

SGT Jensen wrote:
Slow down buddy.  I don't know where you got your old text, but this is how it now reads. Discharge, not possession.

Yeah, that's how I take it!

If a bear/mountain lion/homicidal maniac/rabid squirrel (hehe) acosts you, protect yourself/others FIRST, then deal with the legal ramifications/consequences later...No jury of your peers would convict you for surviving an attack like that!!!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Also, if you are camping in a State Park, you are protected by Utah law.
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]
76-10-511. Possession of loaded weapon at residence authorized.
Except for persons described in Section 76-10-503, a person may have a loaded firearm at his place of residence, including any temporary residence or camp. [/font]

thx997303

imported post

Yeah, and and we can all agree that those Rabid Squirrels are a HUGE PROBLEM!

Random guy: Why are you carrying a gun?

Me: Rabid Squirrels!

xmirage2kx

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Also, if you are camping in a State Park, you are protected by Utah law.
[font=Arial,Helvetica]
76-10-511. Possession of loaded weapon at residence authorized.
Except for persons described in Section 76-10-503, a person may have a loaded firearm at his place of residence, including any temporary residence or camp. [/font]

On a side note I just got back from Bear Lake state park (Utah side) and OC-ed while I was there (well when I was not on the lake). Had a good discussion with a ranger there that (after about an hour) agreed that it was, as he put it, "Seems to be Technically legal" but would prefer if I didn't carry.

Oh, but the "No firearms" sign was still up at every entrance and even in the restrooms.

xmirage2kx

imported post

swillden wrote:
xmirage2kx wrote:
Oh, but the "No firearms" sign was still up at every entrance and even in the restrooms
Time for a letter to Mark Shurtleff?
I went through the whole process last year and didn't get anywhere, but I will still fire off a few letters.