• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motion detector, Gun, Dog, flashlight, cell phone, training

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I found this account very interesting from www.concealedcarryforum.com. so I thought I would share it with OCDO.
Good for him everything worked out.

After reading this I see it was good to buy a flashlight, for so long I did not have a flashlight in my arsenal. But I recently bought myself a 125 lum flashlight http://www.insightlights.com/products-arcturus.htmit is a good addition to add to my defensive plan for my family and self.

Ok, I just got off the phone w/ my lawyer and I am free to discuss my issues from this past friday night. I didn't put a "topic" on it before because of issues that may arise and did.

Friday night at about 3 am -
I am sleeping and I hear my driveway tender, it is an electronic device that puts a beam across the driveway and anytime the beam is broken it sounds a bell, like a doorbell, inside the house to let you know someone has just pulled into the driveway. Cheap insurance to know when someone is at your house. Well, my first thought as I was woken up from it was that it was probably a stay animal. But anyway, I sat up for a minute, my room is downstairs so I grabbed my pistol and flashlight and just listened for a minute. Not at all alarmed, just listening. I heard some metal clanking. I got up wondering who the hell was here at 3 am.

Well, half way up the stairs my 225 pound English Mastiff (Blake) and 45 pound Alaskan Huskie (Chiba) were barking their asses off, and I could tell something was not right the way Blake was growling immensly. I slowly made my way around the corner and out the back door, clearing the corners carfully w/ pistol drawn close to my body and light out. I was on hight aleart and actually a littly scared. We have had issues w/ huge raccoons or groundhogs and I didn't want to turn the corner and have one hauling ass my direction. When I hit the doorway, I could see both the front and rear security lights were on. Not right.

My back yard is enclosed w/ a 6 ft privacy fence and near the garage, I have 3 huge aluminum racks leaning on the fence. One takes up my whole truck bed. Well, what I saw put me on hight aleart. There, behind the racks, hiding from the pissed off dogs was a guy. In my back yard! The gate was still locked, he had to have jumped over. I am immediatly screaming for him to get down and put his hands out to the side where I can see him. So much that I lost my voice the next day. I remember not believing what was happening, my quiet little town? This head would not move at first and then w/o warning tries to run kinda at me, but to the side, I can only assume that he was going for the open door. I did not have any other chance to react, I was dead ready to shoot (no pun intended). My kids were in there asleep! Before I could react Blake, my mastiff, had him by the rear and he was down. Now I have seen video of GSD's doing take down, and such, but I was utterly amazed at this 225 pound dog "man handling" this little guy. He was about 5'8" maybe 180. Blake is a very protective dog, as are most mastiffs, but he is truely friendly at heart, until someone attacks.

I called Blake to stand down and he complied farely well, I was totally impressed, but still trying to take action. The guy decided that was going to lie there still w/ Blake standing over him. I was on the phone to 911 and the operator told me they already had units on the way because they had a call about someone yelling "stop or I will fire" at the top of their lungs. I told her yes, that was me, exlpained the situation the best I could and described myselfe at the guy wearing the boxers, barefoot, w/ ccw pistol and flashlight. She kinda giggled at first, "you are only wearing underwear" she said. Well, my smartass, only thing I could think to say was yeah, my first scheduled criminal was a no show, this one was a shoe in.

Not sure, how that came out in that situation, I guess a smartass never sleeps. But, the reaction of the sheriffs deputy was very fast. Two cars 3 deputies came fast. When they came to the fence, I told them who I was and followed their instructions to lower my pistol. I gave them the combo to my garage door opener (now changed)and two came through the house while the one kept the guy under watch. I put the dogs in their pen (oh, the whole time the guy on the ground is whining about having a chunk of his ass missing from the dog bite).

Ok, now the guy is in handcuffs, the deputies have my weapon unloaded. Actually I had to tell him how to do it, my 1911 isn't like his glock - flabergasted was I. Out front we went, and I finally saw the BG's truck, backed into my drive. He was after the aluminum racks in my back yard. His truck was full of copper tubing and aluminum and such. After the questioning and YES, I want to file charges, it was about 530 am. I was able to go back inside (I had put some clothes on long ago), but I had most of the neighborhood out there checking things out. There was no way I could go back to sleep, I was still on high aleart.

Saturday morning about 11 am I was visited again by one of the three deputies to be notified that the guy had pressed charges on my for the dog bite. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, CAN HE DO THAT? Yes, he can and did. I guess the 30 or so stitches he got made him kinda sore. Well, I called my lawyer, glad I have one lined up for this kinda crap. I let him run w/ it.

Today my lawyer called and informed me that the charges against me were dropped, more like thrown out by the judge (thank you Judge). I didn't even know there was a hearing today, but I guess it was for the butthead to go in front of the judge and hear his charges of felony burglary, assault, tresspassing, resisting arrest and a couple of others. My lawyer had informed me to not put out any info on friday night, but today he said it didn't matter that all charges on me were dropped and that was all to be worried about.

Now, I know this is not over, far from it probably. But, there are a few things I am glad I had in motion before this ever came about. The things that gave me the upper hand - driveway tender, security lights, privacy fence, BIG and LOUD dogs, pistol, flashlight, cell phone, training, and good neighbors. I am totally sure this could have easily ended in a completely different way. I am however, happy w/ the way things got handled. I do recall starting to get tunnel vision when I couldn't see his hands at first and he would not come out from behind the racks. I recognized it and was able to not let it happen. However, when the BG did his charge, my reaction was to move away and then try to aim (I think, kinda foggy), but my dog beat me to him. I think I would have shot if the dog wasn't right on him. I am really happy I didn't have to and the night ended w/o a shot fired. I am still trying to recoupe a few of the details, but for the most part that was my excitement for friday night. So, now, not that I am keeping score, that is the first time I have had to draw my pistol in self defense.

Legba

imported post

It's not unusual that you weren't called for his hearing. I assume he was just being arraigned, which is about a 90-second reading of charges, entry of a plea, and setting of bond. There's no need for the plaintiff to attend.

I, for one, don't do the dog thing. Then again, I don'tburglarize houses either, but it will end badly for Fido if a dog ever attacks me again.

Anyway, it looks like that was handled well enough - no unnecessary bloodshed and someone intent on malfeasance caught in the act. Good on ya.

-ljp

David.Car

imported post

Sounds to me like your dog saved you from having to deal with a self defense killing of a tresspasser.

Glad it all worked out the way it did.

Edit: Dog get anything special out of this? At least a steak?

unreconstructed1

imported post

see, that's what worries me about my dogs. I have a 90 lb boxer tat is tgentle as a mouse... except when someone tries to come on my property. not everyone mind you, but if they are acting "suspiciously", my dog takes note. I have no doubt that if someone were to try this mess at my house, they'd be greeted by the same agressive "how the hell are ya" as the mastiff greeted this BG with. only problem with that? my county has caught the same "pit-bull fever" as seems to have infected much of the nation. it is pretty concievable, especially around here, that by the time my boxer would have been cleared of all charges, he'd already have been put to sleep. what a sad punishment for a dog that would be protecting his family...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

With motion sensors and door alarms so dang cheap these days, you're almost stupid to NOT take advantage of them. I live in an apartment, and for $2 at a flea mall I bought enough door alarms to cover every possible entry point. If any of my doors or windowsopen while I'm in the house, I will most definitely know about it. That gives you SO much more security. This story would have played out completely differently if it hadn't been for that tiny sensor at the bottom of his drive-way.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

David.Car wrote:
Sounds to me like your dog saved you from having to deal with a self defense killing of a tresspasser.

Glad it all worked out the way it did.

Edit: Dog get anything special out of this? At least a steak?

Oh it's not my story it's one I saw on another site.

Yeah I had to Dobermans for home security (alert) they were very effective. The Female was part chicken afraid of everything, but my male Pharaoh was a bad ass. I am thinking about a Massive next, But if they do protect us and bite an intruder, I could be sued, that’s the bad part about th laws.

NowI am now doing my research on motion detectors to find a good one This story proves no matter how safe one neighborhood is criminals will fine you.

David.Car

imported post

Well I currently rent a house, and we don't have a driveway. But I think the sensor idea would actually be great for the side gate to our backyard, front gate walkway, and backyard gate to alley. I am going to have to look into it.

We have 2 dogs. They would never attack anything, but they bark when they hear noise at either of the doors. So at least that is a warning to me someone is coming up to the house.