• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while hunting in Pennsylvania??

Farmer Troy

imported post

I just got my new hunting license yesterday, and I was reading the book that they give you, and on page 20 there is a section on handguns.

Now I never paid much attention to this clause in the past, because I have a LTCF, but if I read this correctly, it seems that open carry without a LTCF or a "Sportsman's Firearms Permit" would be illegal.

Without copying the whole reg., it says something like . . .

A Sportsman's Firearms Permit or a LTCF is REQUIRED to carry a handgun.

What do you folks think about this?

Thanks, Troy

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

You need an LTCF or Sportsmans' Permit for Open CarryWhile Hunting !!!

Title 34, Game and Wildlife Code:

Sec. 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.
(a) General rule.- It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.
(b) Construction.

• (1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.
    [align=justify](2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title. [/align]
(c) Definitions. - As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

• "Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).
    [align=justify]"Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions). [/align]

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

You only need a LTCF to OC while hunting IF the OC'd gun is not legal to hunt with during your hunting/season.

Examples:

1) You go deer hunting, during regular firearms season, while OC'in a 44magnum revolver:
No LTCF needed.

2) Yu go deer hunting, during regular firerms season while OC (or CC) a semi-auto pistol
LTCF NEEDED

3) You go bow hunting (deer) during archery season
LTCF NEEDED

4) You go small game hunting with a revolver (any cal)
No LTCF/SP needed

5) You go small game hunting while OC (or cc) a semi-auto handgun
LTCF needed.

You need a LTCF/SP to carry the firearm to/from hunting in a vehicle. Otherwise unloaded seperate container while transporting.