• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supreme Court Rules......Who let the dogs out!!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The Court has released the opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290), on whether the District’s firearms regulations – which bar the possession of handguns and require shotguns and rifles to be kept disassembled or under trigger lock – violate the Second Amendment. The ruling below, which struck down the provisions in question, is affirmed.
Justice Scalia wrote the opinion. Justice Breyer dissented, joined by Justices Stevens, Souter and Ginsburg. We will provide a link to the decision as soon as it is available.
10:13 Tom Goldstein - Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm.

Mtn Jack

imported post

I have tears in my eyes. We all should be proud we live in such a great country. My hats off to all who have worked and upheld the cause. Mtn Jack :celebrate:celebrate

Aegis

imported post

I love my Country!!!!!

Congratulations to EVERY free citizen who has just had their rights reaffirmed today by the hard work and perserverance of people like those in this forum!!

It should be noted though, that we cannot stop being diligent in watching what the courts and politians are doing...please note the following quote by a dissenting SCOTUS Justice:

"the majority "would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons."

Translation? "We need ways to take rights away from Free citizens to better control them"

We have a victory, buty the war isnt over yet.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
The Bush admin was not totally happy with the descision and McCain voted in Ginsberg. So when's the first dining out in DC????????

NOW we are talking:celebrate.

How do you Guys think Commi...hrm...I mean...California will react to this:question:

TJ

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
The Bush admin was not totally happy with the descision and McCain voted in Ginsberg. So when's the first dining out in DC????????
It make take more lawsuits before that will happen. AFIAK this only affected 2 laws baring the ownership of handguns and requiring disassembly or trigger locks.

I skimmed the 63 page opinion, and though bear was broadly interpreted to mean carrying, there was no direct assertion that DC must allow carry.

Also as absurd as this may seem, the ruling allowed DC to require that people have permits to carry their guns in their homes.

The important thing is that there is no longer any question that RKBA is an individual right, further lawsuits will work to chip away at laws that infringe on that right.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

longwatch wrote:
The Court has released the opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290), on whether the District’s firearms regulations – which bar the possession of handguns and require shotguns and rifles to be kept disassembled or under trigger lock – violate the Second Amendment. The ruling below, which struck down the provisions in question, is affirmed.
Justice Scalia wrote the opinion. Justice Breyer dissented, joined by Justices Stevens, Souter and Ginsburg. We will provide a link to the decision as soon as it is available.
10:13 Tom Goldstein - Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm.

Maybe this kind of ruling could help us to get rid of "Utah Unloaded".

TJ

Sheriff

imported post

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., a leading gun control advocate in Congress, criticized the ruling. "I believe the people of this great country will be less safe because of it," she said.

Damn crybaby! :lol:

400HP

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., a leading gun control advocate in Congress, criticized the ruling. "I believe the people of this great country will be less safe because of it," she said.

I bet she was talking directly to her paid armed guard.

ScottyT

imported post

Mtn Jack wrote:
I have tears in my eyes. We all should be proud we live in such a great country. My hats off to all who have worked and upheld the cause. Mtn Jack :celebrate:celebrate

I had the same reaction! Definitely teared up a little. Now is the time to push for our rights harder than ever! This is the beginning, a great first step in the right direction!

Bravo to all those on the front lines, as well as to all of us fighting on more of a grassroots level! :celebrate:monkey

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Its good that they overturned something on grounds of the Second Amendment, which will set a precedent for future things being overturned on the basis of the second amendment.

Unfortunately, Scalia, who wrote the opinion still allows for virtually unlimited regulation, by allowing for guns purchases to be "qualified," and allowing "bans on guns near schools and government buildings." So to ban all guns you simply need to limit it to a $500 a monthlicensing fee only allowed to ex-police officers and ban guns within 20 miles of every school and government building.

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

Sheriff wrote:

I lived in CA for 13 years, it's my understanding that Sen. Dianne Feinstein has a CC permit. Am I wrong?

On the ruling - WHOO HOO !!!!! We gotta keep pushing though...

xd.40

imported post

Actually, I do believe that is true, although I don't think there is any official confirmation.

Edit: I think that most of the anti-gunners there do have them