• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AFFIRMED!

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

CONGRATS TO YOU ALL!

I don't live there but I was very proud when I heard this. Welcome to America, Oficially. This was a ban that never made sense to me.

NetRangerM

imported post

Congratulations to those of you who live in DC, and for some reason chose to remain there.....

Mayor Fenty / The DC Government's Reply has been posted online at http://dc.gov/mayor/news/release.asp?id=1325&mon=200806

They're trying to spin the story to say that the ruling has minimum impact on DC, I found the blurb below particularly interesting (Found about Halfway through the press release above, emphasis mine.):

"The Mayor, Attorney General and Chief emphasized that the Supreme Court’s ruling is limited and leaves intact various other laws that apply to private citizens who would purchase handguns or other firearms for home possession. First, all firearms must be registered with the Metropolitan Police Department’s Firearms Registration Section before they may be lawfully possessed. Second, automatic and semiautomatic handguns generally remain illegal and may not be registered. Third, the Supreme Court’s ruling is limited to handguns in the home and does not entitle anyone to carry firearms outside his or her own home. In addition, although the Court struck the safe storage provision on the ground that it was too broadly written, firearms at home should be kept either unloaded and disassembled or else locked except for use in self-defense in emergencies."

Could someone please explain to these folks that in an emergency, it is usually quite difficult to get the bad guy to wait while you unlock, uncase, assemble, and load your firearm? Yet they honestly expect people to follow that advice.

Also, what laws are still in effect prohibiting semiautomatic handguns from being owned? Anyone have a cite handy?

Eeesh......

NetRangerM

N00blet45

imported post

I think the mayor is just blowing smoke, trying to make it seem like nothing will change. I'm sure there would be hell to pay if they try to keep the same rules in place. It'd be like them spitting in the supreme court's face. I've only heard of that one time and that was Andrew Jackson almost 200 years ago.