• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

everyone should OC for at least a day

rmodel65

imported post

even CCers should OC for a few day in response for DC vs Heller decision:D

Bullseye69

imported post

Open carry for one day in Alabama? I don't know where you are from, but in this state if you carry open for anytime at all, and are seen by the police, you are going to be arrested on the spot for brandishing a firearm. No nonsense policy in this state.

Do I want it to be different? You bet I do. I am a NRA certified pistol instructor, and I would love to be able to teach folks how to carry open responsibly rather than be so careful to keep it concealed. But, that is the law for the time being, and perhaps it will change down the road and I would be one in favor of the open carry policy.

The mindset these days of anyone who would want to carry a gun openly is mixed to say the least. Some in my classes just wouldn't want a society if everyone carried openly. But, that is not my mindset at all. The laws need to change and change drastically for those of us who carry daily. First we need a nation-wide conceal carry law, where every state would allow us to carry a firearm if we have a conceal carry permit from your home state. For instance I would love to see a state like California or Illinois to allow me to carry even concealed while in their state. But, if you are caught, your gun would be confiscated and you probably would go to jail no questions asked. That needs to change.

We live in an age where carrying is almost a must. But, I am a firm believer in training for those who carry concealed or open. It should be mandatory to take at least a three day class from a first class self defense organization. Why? Because you will learn things that will save your life and perhaps those around you once you are ever forced to use your pistol. I know to may cowboys who say they have been shooting for many years and don't need any training. But, shooting for many years doesn't make you a good defensive handgun handler. When the pressure of the moment hits you, you may fall apart with no training.

This certainly is not any advertisement for self defense schools, but as one who has taken many hours of such training, I know the value of the teachings.

But, open carry is my long term goal for carry in the future for all states. Big goal I know, but if you have no goals, you have no future.

rmodel65

imported post

Bullseye69 wrote:
Open carry for one day in Alabama? I don't know where you are from, but in this state if you carry open for anytime at all, and are seen by the police, you are going to be arrested on the spot for brandishing a firearm. No nonsense policy in this state.

Do I want it to be different? You bet I do. I am a NRA certified pistol instructor, and I would love to be able to teach folks how to carry open responsibly rather than be so careful to keep it concealed. But, that is the law for the time being, and perhaps it will change down the road and I would be one in favor of the open carry policy.

The mindset these days of anyone who would want to carry a gun openly is mixed to say the least. Some in my classes just wouldn't want a society if everyone carried openly. But, that is not my mindset at all. The laws need to change and change drastically for those of us who carry daily. First we need a nation-wide conceal carry law, where every state would allow us to carry a firearm if we have a conceal carry permit from your home state. For instance I would love to see a state like California or Illinois to allow me to carry even concealed while in their state. But, if you are caught, your gun would be confiscated and you probably would go to jail no questions asked. That needs to change.

We live in an age where carrying is almost a must. But, I am a firm believer in training for those who carry concealed or open. It should be mandatory to take at least a three day class from a first class self defense organization. Why? Because you will learn things that will save your life and perhaps those around you once you are ever forced to use your pistol. I know to may cowboys who say they have been shooting for many years and don't need any training. But, shooting for many years doesn't make you a good defensive handgun handler. When the pressure of the moment hits you, you may fall apart with no training.

This certainly is not any advertisement for self defense schools, but as one who has taken many hours of such training, I know the value of the teachings.

But, open carry is my long term goal for carry in the future for all states. Big goal I know, but if you have no goals, you have no future.

sorry i didnt specify, respectively in states it is legal in

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I certainly would if I could. There is hope for Texas tho. The Govenor isn't opposed to it and there are over 10,000 signatures on a petition for it. Plus we've been getting tons of news coverage lately. Still hope...

Vegassteve

imported post

Bullseye69 wrote:
Has the law changed? I see lots of OC stories in the AL section of this site.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
I certainly would if I could. There is hope for Texas tho. The Govenor isn't opposed to it and there are over 10,000 signatures on a petition for it. Plus we've been getting tons of news coverage lately. Still hope...
You may have just received a shot in the arm with Heller.

Putting all of these textual elements together, we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation. This meaning is strongly confirmed by the historical background

Bullseye69

imported post

Yes, I agree with you, as I have read the stories also. But, it all boils down to what county you are from as it is not a state rule of open carry. As the state sees it, if you have a concealed carry permit, that is just what it means, concealed. Do the police tollerate open carry in the whole state of Alabama? Not in your life. There is still debate on whether open carry inside your car is still going on. Again, concealed means just that as far as the state code goes.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Well - I did OC today, and in celebration of the Heller decision/majority opinion - I openly carried in my local Wal-Mart here in Colorado Springs. I have beenOC'ing in other locations, but had reservations about Wally-World. I am happy to say that I was well received. No one mentioned the fact that I was armed - but I was aware of being "checked-out" by many shoppers.At the check-out - the clerk seemed quite comfortable with me. I am 65 - but have been told I look 55. I half-way expected to be confronted & questioned - but I wasn't (this time). My response , if questioned, would have been: " I am authorized to carry this weapon by the State of Colorado,and El Paso County" If asked for some I.D. by someone with store authority, I would have shown them my CO CHP. If asked to coneal my weapon - I would have complied....and then pointed out that my openly carrying was a benefit to the security of others while I was in their store - and that management might wish to consider allowing the practice by their law-abiding customers. The point being the OC practice wouldinfluence opportunistic criminals to loiter elsewhere.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Bullseye69, you should check the Alabama forums. There are people the OC and have no problems.

There is no such thing as 'brandishing' in Alabama. Most people are either charged with disorderly conduct (and never convicted) or charged under section 13A-11-52 (and, again, never convicted since it must be read in light of 13A-11-73).

The Supreme Court of Alabama has said that the only way to defensively carry a pistol is unconcealed. There is no law prohibiting carrying an unconcealed pistol as long as you aren't in a vehicle.

Remember: Arrest != Conviction.

If you are arrested I imagine you could get some damages vs. the department in civil court.

I don't OC very often, but I have done it with no problems. I'm planning to carry unconcealed much more in the near future, and I'll probably keep a log of occurrences and whatnot when I do.

Jack Hollowpoint

imported post

Open carry, in light of Heller (SCOTUS 07-290) will likely be one of the issues that come up in subsequent RKBA cases.

Nonetheless, the majority opinion (Scalia) notes that governments have the legal option to regulate possession. What seems the inevitable paradox in Heller is that "to keep and bear" is affirmed as an individual right while the govt. is provided recourse to regulate some parameters pursuant to keeping and bearing.

At some point the courts need to address the right to "keep and bear" a handgun for personal defense, and the right to reasonably "bear" that firearm in open carry for personal defense.

It seems reasonable to allow a permit process for such possession, but unreasonable to prohibit "keeping and bearing" of the firearm for personal defense. I suppose the govt. could argue that "reasonable regulation" would entail keeping the gun concealed and requiring a permit for carrying concealed.

But what do you do in Alabama or like states when you're out in the woods, hunting/fishing . . . otherwise engaged in outdoor recreation, and you find it prudent to carry a large caliber sidearm for personal defense (cougar, bear, two-legged skunk)???

I exercise open carry frequently. CONTEXT seems to play a large part in public response to it.

If I'm dressed for "outdoor recreation" -- hunting, fishing, hiking -- then the sidearm in the holster is as normal a part of the "gear" as sunscreen and dark-glasses.

We're in an outdoor recreation venue here, but even in the more populous upscale suburbs, if I'm dressed for "outdoor recreation" and wearing a holster it doesn't get a second look.

Walking the dog through the urban park in jogging togs gets a whole different reaction.

Oregon allows municipalities to pre-empt the "open carry" provisions of Oregon statutes. But the cities don't generally post on their signs coming into town that open carry is prohibited. The reaction/policy of local police toward enforcing "no open carry" laws is that they will advise the "bearer" that the gun needs to be legally concealed or not otherwise carried.

Of course, if you're being a "jerk" you're going to limit your options with respect to the way an LEO is going to approach you. That pretty much goes without saying.

Mokarov_9mm

imported post

No begging-pleading or asking in anyway for what is already yours!...Affirmed by the recent Supreme Court ruling that the right to keep and bear arms is that ofan individual, not a malitia.

Get together as many friends and family including everyone they might know also,and DEMAND from your local officials that action be taken on this matter...it may not seem like much you can do,but you'de be surprised what 20 people carrying signs in front of City Hall will do to get your cause in the paper & on the tv news.

Remeber..you also havethe right to peacefull protest..it all starts with one person.

rmodel65

imported post

Mokarov_9mm wrote:
No begging-pleading or asking in anyway for what is already yours!...Affirmed by the recent Supreme Court ruling that the right to keep and bear arms is that ofan individual, not a malitia.

Get together as many friends and family including everyone they might know also,and DEMAND from your local officials that action be taken on this matter...it may not seem like much you can do,but you'de be surprised what 20 people carrying signs in front of City Hall will do to get your cause in the paper & on the tv news.

Remeber..you also havethe right to peacefull protest..it all starts with one person.

not in ga if you had a bunch of people carrying firearms demonstrating, then you would be in violation of the public gathering law here. for 1 you would be with in 200 feet of the public building and also political rallies are banned for carry in ga :(

hopefully GCO will get that taken care of this year ;)