• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Rapids Open Carry Meet July 12th, John Ball Park

Furner

imported post

can i get a tack on this?

We have settled on a Date, Time and Place
July 12th, 2008
1:00pm until ???
John Ball Park, near the pond (map:Map)
This map has a marker at the exact spot we plan to meet. I ran directions from Lansing to the location and it looks like it checks out. There is also parking directly at the location, as well as other locations in the immediate area.
You may bring a dish to pass. We will be grilling on charcoal. If you want to bring a dish to pass, please post it here. If you plan on attending, please post it here so we can keep track of how many people are coming and how many tables we will need.

I plan on "marking the spot" with 3 balloons, one red, one white, one blue.

If anyone from the Macomb area is planning on attending, please send a message to warlockmatized.

Supply List

Charcoal - Furner
Dogs -
lcamino1984*, SpringerXDacp
Burgers - lcamino1984*, SpringerXDacp, Furner
Venison - DickTracy1953
Buns - lcamino1984*, SpringerXDacp
Potato Salad - Furner
A Desert - Furner
Cake - DickTracy1953
Tableware - ghostrider
Tablecloth - Furner
Chips - warlockmatized
Condiments -
lcamino1984*, SpringerXDacp
Ice - warlockmatized
Water -
SpringerXDacp
Pop -
SpringerXDacp, warlockmatized
Gas Grill - SpringerXDacp
Video Camera -
Signs -
Paper handouts - Furner
Cooler - Furner

Confirmed Attendees
Furner +1
DickTracy1953
lcamino1984*
SpringerXDacp
ghostrider
warlockmatized +1

*maybe, could be late.

Possible Attendees
SQLtables

warlockmatized

imported post

i would like to say i am definaitely in BUT, i won't have my CPL by then, so transport is an issue. i am trying to get a friend to go who has his CPL so he can transport for me. will update as soon as i know.

Furner

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
i would like to say i am definaitely in BUT, i won't have my CPL by then, so transport is an issue. i am trying to get a friend to go who has his CPL so he can transport for me. will update as soon as i know.
can you case and lock? if not, i can send you a case and lock.

Furner

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
without a CPL you CANNOT transport to public property. even IF it is cased and locked.
Can you just go the PD and get a "license to transport" as defined in MCL 28.422 subection 3? It says

Sec. 2. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not purchase, carry, or transport a pistol in this state without
first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

Then you just return the permit when you get home.

EDIT: I guess maybe that wont work. I am unsure of the law in that area.

warlockmatized

imported post

HOW it reads.....

[align=left]2) If you don’t have a CPL, you must transport your handgun as prescribe by law.
[/align]Michigan State Police Web Site. Transporting a pistol in a motor vehicle?
[align=left] Answer A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle. The law defines ‘lawful purpose’ as: 1) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area. 2) While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair. 3) While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business. 4) While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol. 5) While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale. 6) While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted. 7) While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
[/align]

SQLtables

imported post

Tentatively attending...

It might be kind of early to start talking about this, but do we want to bring a dish to pass? Are there grills at this park?

You said this park has "no firearm" signs? I probably won't be bringing our daughter if I come this time, just because I don't have much faith in the GRPD leaving us alone.

Furner

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Tentatively attending...

It might be kind of early to start talking about this, but do we want to bring a dish to pass? Are there grills at this park?

You said this park has "no firearm" signs? I probably won't be bringing our daughter if I come this time, just because I don't have much faith in the GRPD leaving us alone.

I was thinking that we could grill. I think there are charcoal grills, or we could bring a gas grill or two.

The park does not have "no firearm" signs posted. They (the county parks dept) do have it in their "policies" on the website, but I have sent them a substantial letter about that.

EDIT: The website says they have grills. I am off work today, I will scout the place out and take pictures and/or video.

SQLtables

imported post

Furner wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Tentatively attending...

I was thinking that we could grill. I think there are charcoal grills, or we could bring a gas grill or two.

The park does not have "no firearm" signs posted. They (the county parks dept) do have it in their "policies" on the website, but I have sent them a substantial letter about that.
OK, I like grilling, so that's good. :D

Unfortunately, a letter probably isn't going to get their policy changed, at least not before our little get-together, so I'll probably come alone to this one, or find a baby-sitter.

warlockmatized

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Furner wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Tentatively attending...

Unfortunately, a letter probably isn't going to get their policy changed, at least not before our little get-together, so I'll probably come alone to this one, or find a baby-sitter.
SHOULD i attend i think my kids will stay home on this one as well. good call Sql

Furner

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Furner wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Tentatively attending...

I cant imagine that anything too drastic will happen. At the most, we may have to execute a document dump on some supervising officers.

SQLtables

imported post

Furner wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Furner wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Tentatively attending...

I cant imagine that anything too drastic will happen. At the most, we may have to execute a document dump on some supervising officers.
That's fine, but our daughter is 4 (just had a birthday yesterday :cool:) and she doesn't need to see/deal with any trouble. It's not worth the risk for me.

Furner

imported post

I scouted the place out, there are a few good places that are "non-reservable" so the first one to the tables takes them. I can get there as much as a few hours early to reserve some tables for us. Need to know how many though. There is a REALLY good spot, as you will see on the video once I get it uploaded, that has lots of foot traffic and two charcoal grills.
There are also a few other goods spots, but I think this would be a good time and a good location to have a meet!

EDIT: As far as food goes, I figured I would get a large bag or two of charcoal, fire up the grills and whoever wants to bring meat to grill could use it. And maybe if people wanted to bring side dishes, and bring your own beverage. No alcohol (of course). Even without firearms, permits are required for alcohol in the park.

Who is in for sure?

Heres my walkthrough video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmt8NBmV2IY

I think that the area at about 1:05 is the best area. Two grills, near the water, lots of people in the area. I refer to a river in one part of the video, i mean pond. And sorry i sound kind of funny on video.
here is a map that goes with that park, the numbers on the signs go with the numbers on the map. any area with a number is reservable, so it could be unavailable. https://www.accesskent.com/ZooReservations/

Getting photos uploaded soon.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Furner wrote:
SNIP
I think that the area at about 1:05 is the best area. Two grills, near the water, lots of people in the area. I refer to a river in one part of the video, i mean pond. And sorry i sound kind of funny on video.
here is a map that goes with that park, the numbers on the signs go with the numbers on the map. any area with a number is reservable, so it could be unavailable.

Agree. And also, the area at about 2:40 look nice...lots of shade. :)

Furner

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Furner wrote:
SNIP
here is a map that goes with that park, the numbers on the signs go with the numbers on the map. any area with a number is reservable, so it could be unavailable.

Agree. And also, the area at about 2:40 look nice...lots of shade. :)
It is nice, but it is reserved for the weekend of the 12th, as well as pretty much every weekend this summer.

Reservations are $100, could be a little high for our budget. But I am happy to stake out a non-reservation area.

Here are some pictures (click for larger)

Valley View West & East

Playground area (non-reservable)

Across the lake view of Fulton View

Across the lake view of "ideal spot" from 1:05

"The Grove"

Bandshell

"Ideal Spot"

Again

Fulton View

Furner

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
The "Ideal Spot" is the area at 1:05? It's closer to the road where more people can observe the get together.
Yep. On the map, it is right by "3". So it is right by a road, parking lot, and lots of walking people.