• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Rapids Open Carry Meet July 12th, John Ball Park

lcamino1984

imported post

I plan on attending. I will plan on bringing some burgers, hot dogs, buns, and condiments. Just need to know what people want so I know how much to bring. If you indicate how many burgers or dogs you want, that would be a great help.

For example:
1 Burger
1 Hot dog

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lcamino1984 wrote:
I plan on attending. I will plan on bringing some burgers, hot dogs, buns, and condiments. Just need to know what people want so I know how much to bring. If you indicate how many burgers or dogs you want, that would be a great help.

For example:
1 Burger
1 Hot dog

Most who attended the Burton event brought burgers, hot dogs, chips, cookies, condiments, etc. There was plenty of food. Oh, and Jerry brought the Beans. :shock:

Some of usbroughtgrills...2grills were enough for cooking space.

Furner

imported post

lcamino1984 wrote:

For example:
1 Burger
1 Hot dog

That would be great!

My wife-to-be plans on making some potato salad, and probably some sort of delicious sweet desert, brownies or cookies or something. Maybe lemon bars.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Furner wrote:
lcamino1984 wrote:

For example:
1 Burger
1 Hot dog

That would be great!

My wife-to-be plans on making some potato salad, and probably some sort of delicious sweet desert, brownies or cookies or something. Maybe lemon bars.
Perfect. If someone brings cole slaw that should do it. There may be stores nearby if we need anything else.

Furner

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Furner wrote:
lcamino1984 wrote:

For example:
1 Burger
1 Hot dog

That would be great!

Perfect. If someone brings cole slaw that should do it. There may be stores nearby if we need anything else.

Theres a little neighborhood store right nearby if need be. Not a Meijer by any means, but it will do.

Furner

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Anyway at all one of us can generate alist for the GR event like Va members did.

Include those who will attend and possibly whatitems they're bringing.

See Va Link for an example:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/11929.html

I can edit my original post to do that.

Done, and I added a few other suggested items, including a camcorder because mine is a POS and it takes alot of work to get video files from it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Furner wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Anyway at all one of us can generate alist for the GR event like Va members did.

Done, and I added a few other suggested items, including a camcorder because mine is a POS and it takes alot of work to get video files from it.

Thanks Furner. Please add me to the list for: dogs, burgers, chips, mustard & ketchup, water and pop and my small gas grill if I have room for it.

ETA: Others may want to bring same just-in-case I do not have enough.

Furner

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Furner wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

Thanks Furner. Please add me to the list for: dogs, burgers, chips, mustard & ketchup, water and pop and my small gas grill if I have room for it.

ETA: Others may want to bring same just-in-case I do not have enough.

Got it! I do have a ton of 1# propane bottles if you need some.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Furner wrote:
SNIP

I'm unfamilar with the number thing. Mine is the blue Propane/Propano LOL bottle, 14.1 oz. It was a new bottle at the Burton event. It should be enough for GR.

Furner

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Furner wrote:
SNIP

I'm unfamilar with the number thing. Mine is the blue Propane/Propano LOL bottle, 14.1 oz. It was a new bottle at the Burton event. It should be enough for GR.

Yeah thats what I have. they call them one-pound bottles i guess.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Furner wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Furner wrote:
SNIP

Yeah thats what I have. they call them one-pound bottles i guess.

God I feel so stuuuupidd. :(

1# = 1 pound

#1 = number 1

That's enough for me I'm outta here

DickTracy1953

imported post

I reside about three miles distant from the John Ball Park Zoo. In the Winter I take walks in the Zoo as the admission is free. This place is a very good spot to meet. There are many areas within this park and one of them is the zoo. There are also ball fields, playgrounds, open areas, and a few pivilions. Just to set the record straight, in those pictures that is a pond not a lake.

I'm concerned that the City of Grand Rapids has an ordinace against open carry. Should we expect any trouble or arrests. Would I be welcomed if I did not carry. My holster is just a leather loop that attaches to my belt so my sidearm is almost fully exposed, inclusive of the business end, except for the part that is covered by the one and a half inch leather band.

If a few folks would like to shoot pistols after we eat and talk it might be possible to do so as my guest at my gun club depending on the numbers of people that might have an interest. http://www.wwsc.org/

What kind of turn out might we expect.

Furner

imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:
I reside about three miles distant from the John Ball Park Zoo. In the Winter I take walks in the Zoo as the admission is free. This place is a very good spot to meet. There are many areas within this park and one of them is the zoo. There are also ball fields, playgrounds, open areas, and a few pivilions. Just to set the record straight, in those pictures that is a pond not a lake.

I'm concerned that the City of Grand Rapids has an ordinace against open carry. Should we expect any trouble or arrests. Would I be welcomed if I did not carry. My holster is just a leather loop that attaches to my belt so my sidearm is almost fully exposed, inclusive of the business end, except for the part that is covered by the one and a half inch leather band.

If a few folks would like to shoot pistols after we eat and talk it might be possible to do so as my guest at my gun club depending on the numbers of people that might have an interest. http://www.wwsc.org/

What kind of turn out might we expect.
The city does have an ordinance, which is illegal. However, they do have a "lawful protection" exemption, which is a loose loophole, but I think its so they can use their discretion in charging people.
Sec. 9.175. Exceptions. The prohibitions in Sections 9.172, 9.173 and 9.174 hereof do not apply: (1)To persons acting in the lawful defense of person, property or family. (2)To police officers or other officers of the law in the lawful discharge of their duty. (3)To authorized military parades by permission of the Director of Public Safety. (4)To indoor enclosed firearm ranges so constructed as to prevent damage to property or injury or death to any person where such firearm ranges are otherwise lawful; provided, however, that the discharge of a bow and arrow is permitted upon unenclosed ranges where such ranges are constructed so as to prevent damage to property or injury or death to any person. (5)Reserved.

The county also has a "no firearms in parks ordinance" which is also illegal. I have sent them a letter informing them of this.

I expect no problems. We have very clear state law as well as the Ferndale court decision. I personally believe that the more carrying individuals we have, the less likely we will get hassled.
We would be glad to have you either way though. If you dont want to carry, that is fine. If you want to study up on your state laws and help us educate people that are curious, or if you just want to grill out and talk guns, that is cool too.
Shooting afterwords might be good too. I let my South Kent membership expire, so I dont have a place to shoot anymore.
If you can bring anything (optional), let me know and I will add you to the list. I am sure they will be plenty of food for everyone.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Furner, do these rates apply to us? I'm not sure if I'm reading the info on the site correctly.

[*]Adults (14 - 61 years) -- $7.50
[*]Seniors (over 62 years) -- $6.50
[*]Children (3 - 13 years) -- $5.50
[*]Children 2 years and under -- Free

Furner

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Furner, do these rates apply to us? I'm not sure if I'm reading the info on the site correctly.
[*]
Adults (14 - 61 years) -- $7.50
[*]
Seniors (over 62 years) -- $6.50
[*]
Children (3 - 13 years) -- $5.50
[*]
Children 2 years and under -- Free
Also, the park closes at 6:00pm

No, that is just for the zoo. There is county park that the zoo resides in. The "zoo society" website is something the zoo volunteers put together. The authority of the park as a whole is the accesskent.org website.

DickTracy1953

imported post

I will plan on making it over to this gathering because not to do so is just plain crazy as it is so nearby. Put me down as a party of one.

My notion is to bring some venison to grill if that is allowed along with a homemade cake.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I've read through this thread again and did not notice a time when we plan to meet at the park. I'm not sure about the others who plan to attend, but it will take me about 2 to 3 hours to get there.