• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Rapids Open Carry Meet July 12th, John Ball Park

warlockmatized

imported post

sounds fine to me. anyone in Macomb County or the nearby surrounding area that HAS a CPL....PLEASE pm me so i can solve my transport issue so that i can attend.

ghostrider

imported post

This posted in the "Michigan open carry Talk Show" thread:

Mike wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
Mike wrote:
Have you posted info yet on your next picnic??
Yes, some of the guys have posted on a separate thread. It's at John Ball Park, in Grand Rapids. July 12th, no time set yet that I know of.
OK, remind me a few days out to do a press release - but, make sure you self-advertize and recruit - you are going to get more press interest this time so a good turnout would be nice.

If there is going to be press interest, then it would be good for as many of us as possible to show up. It'd be kind of weak if only three or four people were there, and the press showed up.

Furner

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
This posted in the "Michigan open carry Talk Show" thread:

Mike wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
Mike wrote:
Have you posted info yet on your next picnic??
Yes, some of the guys have posted on a separate thread. It's at John Ball Park, in Grand Rapids. July 12th, no time set yet that I know of.
OK, remind me a few days out to do a press release - but, make sure you self-advertize and recruit - you are going to get more press interest this time so a good turnout would be nice.

If there is going to be press interest, then it would be good for as many of us as possible to show up. It'd be kind of weak if only three or four people were there, and the press showed up.

I have posted on this board and ar15.com.
If anyone else wants to post on other Michigan-oriented boards, and direct them here, that would be good.

lcamino1984

imported post

I just got word that I will probably have to work on the 12th and 13th, so I think I'm going to have to change from confirmed attendee to possible attendee. I will probably not be able to bring any burgers or dogs with me as I would be coming from work if I am able to attend.

ghostrider

imported post

You should probably put more information in the opening post. Things like: dish to pass (maybe, I don’t know), mapqest directions link (along with prospective locations within the park itself), and a sign that should be posted at the location prior to picnic, long with any other pertinent information. It would be both helpful for this board, as well as others viewing from other boards.

Since lcamino1984 lcamino1984 has changed status, will we need someone elst to provide what he said he would bring? I see SpringerXDacp has volunteered to duplicate, but will it be enough, or will someont elst need to step in.

I'll bring plates, napking, and utensils.

Furner

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
You should probably put more information in the opening post. Things like: dish to pass (maybe, I don’t know), mapqest directions link (along with prospective locations within the park itself), and a sign that should be posted at the location prior to picnic, long with any other pertinent information. It would be both helpful for this board, as well as others viewing from other boards.

Since lcamino1984 lcamino1984 has changed status, will we need someone elst to provide what he said he would bring? I see SpringerXDacp has volunteered to duplicate, but will it be enough, or will someont elst need to step in.

I'll bring plates, napking, and utensils.
Updates have been made. Please let me know what you think. I have some burger patties I can bring as well to make up for the difference. I will also check sales at Meijer for some dogs and buns for both burgers and dogs.

ghostrider

imported post

Looks pretty good.

I've got a Sam's club membership, and there is also Gordon Foods. They might be good places to go for such things. If you want to get together beforehand for those things just let me know. I'll try to check prices later today, but the weekly sales are usually cheaper for meats.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
sounds fine to me. anyone in Macomb County or the nearby surrounding area that HAS a CPL....PLEASE pm me so i can solve my transport issue so that i can attend.

Per MCRGO:

[align=left]I don't have a CCW. How can I legally transport a pistol in a motor vehicle?

A:
The law changed in March of 2002 from the old "to and from" rules. You may now transport a pistol for any lawful purpose as long as it is stored correctly. The new law defines "lawful purpose" to include the old "to and from" rules but those are only examples of lawful purposes and do not exclude other lawful purposes. Remember, a pistol carried in the passenger compartment of a vehicle, except under the circumstances below where there is no trunk, will be considered concealed, whether it is in plain view or not. The proper way to transport a pistol in a vehicle if you do not hold a CPL permit.

The pistol must be:
unloaded;
registered (has had a "safety inspection") to the owner of the motor vehicle or to an occupant of the motor vehicle in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms; and in the trunk, or for a vehicle which does not have a trunk, where the closed case designed for the storage of firearms is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle. [/align]

Warlock, on the surface, it appears you may transport to the Park as long as you follow the requirements for a vehicle without a trunk. I PM'ed Brian to see if he may be of some help here.

The other lawful purposes they mention I have not seen or heard of.

Edit for spelling.

DickTracy1953

imported post

A lawful purpose could be to show other folks a particular firearm that you enjoy as a being one of your favorites. Or, to have it available should you get an offer to try your hand at some target shooting. I somehow think that lawful purposes of transporting a firearm would be unlimited.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:
A lawful purpose could be to show other folks a particular firearm that you enjoy as a being one of your favorites. Or, to have it available should you get an offer to try your hand at some target shooting. I somehow think that lawful purposes of transporting a firearm would be unlimited.

Agreed. I just don't understand why the "...other lawful purposes" are not listed.

As long as you are transporting without malice, lawful transport should be unlimited.

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
DickTracy1953 wrote:

Agreed. I just don't understand why the "...other lawful purposes" are not listed.

As long as you are transporting without malice, lawful transport should be unlimited.
Personally, I think an even better solution is to leave your place early so you can stop by Silver Bullet to browse and do some target shooting.

ghostrider

imported post

Someone on another board suggested we notify GRPD of the event based on the individuals fear of a "man with a gun" call. I refered him to this site, and also said that I'd bring it up here.

I'm torn on this one and not sure where I stand:

Telling them about it seems kind of silly since it's basically like saying, "Gee, we are going to have a picnic in a public park, and just wanted to let you know".

OTOH, letting them know that some of the people who will be in attendance might possibly be openly armed might help them effeciently vet any possible "man with a gun" calls.

OTOH, they've been given all the information on the legality of OC within the state of Michigan, and the city of Grand Rapids, along with suggestions on how to handle such calls. Twice that I've read about on these boards. Therefore, if it's still an issue, I don't see how giving them notice of a picnic is going to make it any better.

Like I said, I'm torn. However I did say I'd pass along the suggestion.

Furner

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Someone on another board suggested we notify GRPD of the event based on the individuals fear of a "man with a gun" call. I refered him to this site, and also said that I'd bring it up here.

I'm torn on this one and not sure where I stand:

Telling them about it seems kind of silly since it's basically like saying, "Gee, we are going to have a picnic in a public park, and just wanted to let you know".

OTOH, letting them know that some of the people who will be in attendance might possibly be openly armed might help them effeciently vet any possible "man with a gun" calls.

OTOH, they've been given all the information on the legality of OC within the state of Michigan, and the city of Grand Rapids, along with suggestions on how to handle such calls. Twice that I've read about on these boards. Therefore, if it's still an issue, I don't see how giving them notice of a picnic is going to make it any better.

Like I said, I'm torn. However I did say I'd pass along the suggestion.
Heres my feelings on the matter. GRPD has been informed multiple times about the legality of open carry. If the matter has not reached dispatchers and officers, then I am afraid that a "courtesy call" to them would probably cause more harm than good.

Further, I fear that we could be shut down by the city/county finding a way to have no available places for us to meet. They could simply move picnic tables to the reservable areas, which I belive are all reserved for that day. Or either remove picnic tables, or somehow find ways to fill all the open areas with other events. Then we would have to just stand around. I fear that even a press release with too much notice would cause problems. I would like to do a press release, and I am more than willing to be the contact person for that. I was thinking that if we were to contact the media the day before, that would give time for coverage without the city and county to think of ways to shut us down.

thats my feeling on it. I wish that a courtesy call would help, but as you said, GRPD knows about this, and a call could just cause more trouble. I say we just deal with them if they show up, and that the more of us there are, the easier it should be to resolve anything the GRPD tries to pull.

ghostrider

imported post

Furner wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
Heres my feelings on the matter. GRPD has been informed multiple times about the legality of open carry. If the matter has not reached dispatchers and officers, then I am afraid that a "courtesy call" to them would probably cause more harm than good.

Further, I fear that we could be shut down by the city/county finding a way to have no available places for us to meet. They could simply move picnic tables to the reservable areas, which I belive are all reserved for that day. Or either remove picnic tables, or somehow find ways to fill all the open areas with other events. Then we would have to just stand around. I fear that even a press release with too much notice would cause problems. I would like to do a press release, and I am more than willing to be the contact person for that. I was thinking that if we were to contact the media the day before, that would give time for coverage without the city and county to think of ways to shut us down.

thats my feeling on it. I wish that a courtesy call would help, but as you said, GRPD knows about this, and a call could just cause more trouble. I say we just deal with them if they show up, and that the more of us there are, the easier it should be to resolve anything the GRPD tries to pull.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I think about informing the GRPD.

As for the press release, Mike has already said that he's going to do one. That's why we need to have a good turnout.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Furner wrote:
ghostrider wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think about informing the GRPD.

As for the press release, Mike has already said that he's going to do one. That's why we need to have a good turnout.

I believe-always have-asking permission to go about lawfully, in any situation, is a waste of time at best.

I say, lets just do it and let Mike make the contacts and we will cross the bridges as they come.

DickTracy1953

imported post

The West Walker Sportsman's Club will be having a handgun steel plate shoot on Saturday 12 July 2008 from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. It is open to the public with a small fee to shoot an event which includes one practice and two timed course of fire. It is a fun and friendly competition with no money or prizes being awarded. There is also a free 22 caliber shoot off course of fire if we have the man power to monitor that event. These shooting events are a small version of the IDPA / IPSC / ICORE disciplines.

You will be moving, changing magazines... wheel gunners must use speedloaders, you will be shooting at steel plates, avoiding hostage plates, shooting around blocking boards, through barrels, cut outs or even a car window to complete your course of fire. No use of FMJ projectile rules apply.

Visit the club website to learn more about what is involved in this shooting venue.

http://www.wwsc.org/Programs/Steel%20Plate/Steelplates.htm

ghostrider

imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:
The West Walker Sportsman's Club will be having a handgun steel plate shoot on Saturday 12 July 2008 from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. It is open to the public with a small fee to shoot an event which includes one practice and two timed course of fire. It is a fun and friendly competition with no money or prizes being awarded. There is also a free 22 caliber shoot off course of fire if we have the man power to monitor that event. These shooting events are a small version of the IDPA / IPSC / ICORE disciplines.

You will be moving, changing magazines... wheel gunners must use speedloaders, you will be shooting at steel plates, avoiding hostage plates, shooting around blocking boards, through barrels, cut outs or even a car window to complete your course of fire. No use of FMJ projectile rules apply.

Visit the club website to learn more about what is involved in this shooting venue.

http://www.wwsc.org/Programs/Steel%20Plate/Steelplates.htm
Is this an all-day thing, or can I shoot in the morning a couple hours and then go to the picnic? (I thought IPSC shoots were pretty much all day)

I'd like to go as it sounds like a lot of fun. However, if it's going to interfere with the picnic, I think it's more important that I be at the picnic.

DickTracy1953

imported post

I think that you can work it so you shoot then leave as long as you arrive at the start time. Not everyone will show up early but that works as all shooting is closely monitored on a one on one basis by the man with the clock with only one shooter up at a time. Some guys stay to the bitter end shooting as much as possible to try to take the top gun slot. I have seen people go then only shoot one course of fire. Also it depends on the weather and how many shooters show up. If it is raining and slippery they may cancel because it may be deemed too dangerous to be moving and shooting on slippery footing.

I have worked these shoots as a range officer in the past monitoring the 22 caliber shoot offs. My reputation is as a rifleman so I have never tried my hand beyond the 22 caliber shoot offs.

The great thing about this is that you need not be a member as it is on a pay to play basis. If nothing else it is interesting to watch and a great chance to see the club. You can open carry anywhere on club property except when you are in the restricted area for this plate shoot. That area is always well defined with yellow caution tape and is posted.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

The last time I was there, I think WWSC required all shooters w/out a CPL to have their weapon unloaded and encased. I don't believe this has changed.