• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The DC reaction to Heller

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

They are going to restrict the registration to revolvers only and will enforce an updated safe storage requirement....

Watching on live feed from wusa9.com...

ETA: there will be no carry, only home posession!

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A rather hollow victory, isn't it.

I'm sure they're going to argue that auto pistols, contra revolvers, are especially "dangerous." And a single revolver is enough to not infringe "self-defense."

This was part of my point in this thread: Heller Result Poll

Flintlock

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
They are going to restrict the registration to revolvers only and will enforce an updated safe storage requirement....

Hmmm. that's not gonna work either. Revolvers or semi-autos are common use items and are in themselves, a class of weapons. I realize that the antis will try to find any loophole they possibly can, but this is going to take many more court cases to figure out and our fight will never be over...

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

they have repeatedly stated that over the next 21 days they will revise the statues to be the most restrictive allowed by the decision...

Flintlock

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
they have repeatedly stated that over the next 21 days they will revise the statues to be the most restrictive allowed by the decision...

Sounds like responsible government, doesn't it?... :banghead:

After thinking about this some more, I think that the intent of the opinion would be violated if they start picking and choosing which types ofhandguns can be kept and which ones can't. This is another one of their "interpretations" that is obviously not constitutional under the 2nd amendment , nor this ruling.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I would not call it a hollow victory...

From the majority opinion:

JUSTICE BREYER chides us for leaving so many applications
of the right to keep and bear arms in doubt, and for
not providing extensive historical justification for those
regulations of the right that we describe as permissible.
See post, at 42–43. But since this case represents this
Court’s first in-depth examination of the Second Amendment,
one should not expect it to clarify the entire field,
any more than Reynolds v. United States, 98 U. S. 145
(1879), our first in-depth Free Exercise Clause case, left
that area in a state of utter certainty. And there will be
time enough to expound upon the historical justifications
for the exceptions we have mentioned if and when those
exceptions come before us.

All through the opinion, the Court stated that this case was of very limited scope, and that the Court was not ruling on many other aspects of gun rights. This case was about a very specific issue, namely the right to own a handgun to be used for home defense, and the court ruled clearly that application is definitely within the INDIVIDUAL RIGHT guaranteed by the Constitution.

That is the largest victory of this case... The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, like the other nine that from the "Bill of Rights", guarantees a INDIVIDUAL RIGHT to "keep and bear arms."

The Court did state that the Second Amendment does have limitations, just as the First Amendment does not allow one to sell state secrets.

But the Majority Opinion most definitely has subtle clues that the court will not allow the right to bear arms to be infringed, unless a strong, substantiated, and compelling reason exists.

Will there continue to be disagreements and setbacks? Yes.

Does this Majority seem to have the idea; that individual liberty is the core to a strong Union? I sure hope so.

tattedupboy

imported post

Actually, it surprises me that they would only allow revolvers to be registered. After all, revolvers do noteject their shell casings, therefore a criminal who uses one could get away scott free. Now, the Supreme Court ruled that the banon handguns isunconstitutional; this to me does not mean that some handguns are okay and others are not. It means that all legally owned handguns must be allowed.

like_the_roman

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Actually, it surprises me that they would only allow revolvers to be registered.  After all, revolvers do not eject their shell casings, therefore a criminal who uses one could get away scott free.

The D.C. government seems to be more concerned about limiting capacity and reloading speed than anything else.

Toymaker

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:

ETA: there will be no carry, only home posession!

http://www.nbc4.com/news/16716017/detail.html?dl=mainclick

"It is important to both respect the court's authority and then to act quickly," Fenty said.

Fenty said the Metropolitan Police Department has 21 days to develop a system for citizens to register lawful handguns in their homes. Interim Attorney General Peter Nickles said that rules on who can apply for gun licenses will not change. Applicants will be required to be mentally competent adults, and they'll be fingerprinted.

In the meantime, D.C.'s gun ban will remain in effect. Automatic and semi-automatic guns remain illegal, Fenty said. Citizens still can't carry guns outside the home in D.C.

I thinkFenty misspoke.What he should have said wasthat "in the meantime, until they get a new law in place, D.C.'s gun ban will remain in effect, therefore automatic [firearms] and semi-automatic [hand]guns remain illegal."

DC residents can register a semi-automatic shotgun or long gun even before the Supreme Court ruling.

Fenty isn't exactly a firearms expert, he's an anti. I doubt that he knows very many details about his own gun laws and how they'll be affected by the ruling.

PT111

imported post

I expect DC to do as much as they think they can get away with and more to try and save face on the registration and permits. It iwll probably take another Federal judge to calm them down but will eventually. The reasonable restrictions is open to interpretations but the arbritrary is not. When they start charging $1,000 for a background check and a one year waiting period it will go back to court. Also the .22 six shooter is called a Saturday Night Special in some parts of the country.

FogRider

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
My question is this, From where is a DC resident going to purchase a hadgun -revolver or pistol? First there's no gun shop in DC. Second there is only one FFL in DC and that one is owned by Josh Sugarmann, head of Violence Policy Center.
I would expect them to do the same thing as the criminals have been doing: going across the border. It's not like a lack of gun shops has put a damper on the number of guns so far.

Toymaker

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Actually, it surprises me that they would only allow revolvers to be registered. After all, revolvers do noteject their shell casings, therefore a criminal who uses one could get away scott free. Now, the Supreme Court ruled that the banon handguns isunconstitutional; this to me does not mean that some handguns are okay and others are not. It means that all legally owned handguns must be allowed.

I'd like to think that any one of the 'expert' lawyers that they consult with within the next 21 days would point that out to them. Under the strictest interpretation of the ruling, they could probably get away with banning automatic handguns (Glock 18, etc.) and limiting capacity (no more than 10/12 rounds, etc.) but they won't get away with banning semi-auto handguns altogether. Semi-auto handguns are the most commonly possesed of the handgun class.

If they take this ruling lightly they willrisk having the court overturn their gun laws altogether.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
The D.C. government seems to be more concerned about limiting capacity and reloading speed than anything else.

With a lot of practice even this is no issue, although I doubt that criminals will ever expend this much effort.

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/Gk7LPklNFRw&hl[/flash]

Thundar

imported post

If a D.C. resident had a Federal Firearms License III - Curio and Relics, (collectors license) the resident would not need an FFL I - Dealer. The collector would be limited to firearms at least 50 years old, or on the ATF collectors list, but there are many great firearms in that category. With theC&R license the firearms can be shipped directly from an out of state FFL I or III (dealer or out of state collector) directly to the D.C. collectors home.

This is why I have advocated since the D.C. Circuit Court ruling that D.C. residents obtain a FFL III license.