• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC or CC in DC

PT111

imported post

cdunlop wrote:
With the new decision, has anyone found any info on carrying, or will they make it impossible to carry like NJ and all of the others.
If you live in DC you can carry while in your house either OC or CC, your preference. Otherwise better leave your gun at home.

ccunning

imported post

PT111 wrote:
If you live in DC you can carry while in your house either OC or CC, your preference. Otherwise better leave your gun at home.
I also believe you'll have to get it "licensed" or "registered" before you can even do that, and I don't believe there is a process in place to do that yet.

Tac-Man

imported post

What's Up, What I know so far is on three weeks they will begin to issue pistol permits after you are fingerprinted and your photo is taken.Then you will have to show eleven hours of approved training and then you can only buy revolvers.NO SEMI-AUTOS!and it will be regeistered.Then you my pick up your revolver with no ammo.Hay it's a start!

vbnative73

imported post

ccunning wrote:
PT111 wrote:
I also believe you'll have to get it "licensed" or "registered" before you can even do that, and I don't believe there is a process in place to do that yet.
The mayor of DC has given the DCPD 21 days to put a process in place to register handguns. Also, today's ruling only allows people to possess handguns in their homes, not to carry them in public. But it also forbids DC from requiring guns to be disassembled or locked in any way.

jack

Banned
imported post

Tac-Man wrote:
What's Up, What I know so far is on three weeks they will begin to issue pistol permits after you are fingerprinted and your photo is taken.Then you will have to show eleven hours of approved training and then you can only buy revolvers.NO SEMI-AUTOS!and it will be regeistered.Then you my pick up your revolver with no ammo.Hay it's a start!
Where do you get the idea of a ban on semi-autos ?

fairfax1

imported post

jack wrote:
Tac-Man wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/26/AR2008062603988.html

The District has several other laws about gun possession, and the Fenty administration began reviewing its options while awaiting the court's decision. In a move that could rile supporters of yesterday's ruling, Nickles said the District will continue to enforce a separate decades-old D.C. ban on the possession of most clip-loaded semiautomatic handguns, which are popular with gun enthusiasts.

That regulation, which outlaws machine guns and was not part of the Supreme Court case, defines a machine gun in broad terms, encompassing semiautomatic weapons that can shoot, or be converted to shoot, more than 12 rounds without reloading, officials said. Nickles said that law remains on the books and will be enforced.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
jack wrote:
Tac-Man wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/26/AR2008062603988.html

The District has several other laws about gun possession, and the Fenty administration began reviewing its options while awaiting the court's decision. In a move that could rile supporters of yesterday's ruling, Nickles said the District will continue to enforce a separate decades-old D.C. ban on the possession of most clip-loaded semiautomatic handguns, which are popular with gun enthusiasts.

That regulation, which outlaws machine guns and was not part of the Supreme Court case, defines a machine gun in broad terms, encompassing semiautomatic weapons that can shoot, or be converted to shoot, more than 12 rounds without reloading, officials said. Nickles said that law remains on the books and will be enforced.
I am a gun enthusiast and so are some of my friends.. and none of us have a CLIP loaded handgun.

IanB

imported post

Cites folks, where's the cite?

§ 22-4504. Carrying concealed weapons; possession of weapons during commission of crime of violence; penalty.

(a) No person shall carry within the District of Columbia either openly or concealed on or about their person, a pistol, without a license issued pursuant to District of Columbia law, or any deadly or dangerous weapon capable of being so concealed. Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in § 22-4515, except that:

(1) A person who violates this section by carrying a pistol, without a license issued pursuant to District of Columbia law, or any deadly or dangerous weapon, in a place other than the person's dwelling place, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both; or

(2) If the violation of this section occurs after a person has been convicted in the District of Columbia of a violation of this section or of a felony, either in the District of Columbia or another jurisdiction, the person shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both.

(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess a pistol, machine gun, shotgun, rifle, or any other firearm or imitation firearm while committing a crime of violence or dangerous crime as defined in § 22-4501. Upon conviction of a violation of this subsection, the person may be sentenced to imprisonment for a term not to exceed 15 years and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for a mandatory-minimum term of not less than 5 years and shall not be released on parole, or granted probation or suspension of sentence, prior to serving the mandatory-minimum sentence.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We can fully expect the petty little obstuctionists in DC, Chicago, SF and other such far-left places to drag their feet, pout, complain and act like the petulant little kiddies they are, but as long as the momentum is on our side, we will continue to harrass them with a plague of lawsuits, demonstrations, letter-writing campaigns and political pressure until they have to relent. Once that happens in the big cities, and they get their sorry butts kicked enough, other venues with less time and money on their hands will simply stop the foot dragging and go with the program.

Be patient; this will take some time. We may even see some setbacks along the way, but we will win. As another poster said, this is Normandy, and we are on our way to Berlin. The battles along the way shouldn't deter us!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:banghead: How about congress just revokes their autonomy and clarifies that the Constitution of the United States of America is fully in effect in the District.

IanB

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
:banghead: How about congress just revokes their autonomy and clarifies that the Constitution of the United States of America is fully in effect in the District.
Can we give them proper representation at the same time?

rimfire

imported post

No DC is not a state. It is a city with diminishing population. Lets not give them congressmen and 2 senators. Just a few years ago Congress had to take over and get the finances correct. DC government has been more poorly run most time than not. Getting better but we always want the Congress to oversee DC.

When DC was run by Congress it was very well run. That is before thehome rule fiasco.

nova

imported post

Besidesthat, when Wash DC was set up back in the day, were people supposed to be living within the city, or was it supposed to be simply an area for government to do its business?

swillden

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
How and when did Arlington secede from DC? During the War between the States?
No, before.

According to Wikipedia, the legislation that defined the boundaries of DC specified that the area ceded by Virginia couldn't be used for federal government offices, so it was useless for federal purposes. Also, a major source of income in Alexandria was the slave trade and people in Alexandria got concerned that an abolitionist movement in Virginia would succeed, severely damaging their local economy. By going back to Virginia and becoming a new county, Alexandria could add two more pro-slavery representatives to the Virginia General Assembly, helping to fight off the abolitionists. So, they petitioned Congress to return the federally-useless land to Virginia and in 1846 the area was returned to the Commonwealth.

echo6tango

imported post

The District of Columbia is NC[/b]...NO CARRY (unless you're a resident of D.C. within in the confines ofyour home). So, the residents of D.C. can now protect themselves with a handgun (well, in a few weeks maybe), they just have to relinquish that right at the front door of their home before stepping outside in public.

It is a step closer, but it’s still a far shot from actually being able to exercise a right while not being infringed.

HerbM

imported post

Although the ruling is limited to THIS case and Mr. Heller's inability to obtain permission from the DC gun to exercise his right, it is fairly easy to use ONLY Heller and demonstrable facts to show that any US citizen can carry any bearable arm peacefully, for lawful purposes, with the District which is bound by Federal law and the Supreme Court ruling.

(I am not recommending anyone become the test case but it will happen whether it is an RKBA activist or a criminal who challenges it.)

Majority Opinion DC v Heller, page 8
Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment. We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U. S. 844, 849 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 35–36 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.