• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congress Critters Reaction to Heller

hogleg

imported post

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hQLLpidXoyC-Yps3BZNjINCoQWUgD91HRHEG0

Not too surprised by some. Just makes me dislike them even more now.

This is my favorite to hate !"I am profoundly disappointed in Justice Roberts and Justice Alito, both of whom assured us of their respect for precedent. With this decision, 70 years of precedent has gone out the window. And I believe the people of this great country will be less safe because of it." — Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

Exactly what precedent is she talking about. The novelty of this ruling is that the fundamental right of an individual to keep and bear arms has never been answered by the court.

Huck

imported post

"Today, President Bush's radical Supreme Court justices put rigid ideology ahead of the safety of communities in New Jersey and across the country. This decision illustrates why I have strongly opposed extremist judicial nominees and will continue to do so in the future." — Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J.

From what I've seen in the news and heard from folks who've visited NJ the communities are far from being safe as it is.

How about how, when Justices see thing different from how the demlibs want it to be they're "radical" but if they'd ruled the way the pro-criminaldemlibs wanted they would've been hailed as "progressive".

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Careful. That's a two-edged sword.

How many here have railed against "liberal judges legislating from the bench" when they don't agree with rulings.

Our system is definitely flawed, but it's all we have at this point.

hsmith

imported post

Maybe Feinstein should give up her CHP since she thinks guns are so evil.

Oh thats right, she is a "special" person and she deserves protection.

My eyes can't roll back in my head far enough.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's not a two edged sword. Today SCOTUS upheld the constitution. Where all these dems have it wrong is that we need constitutionalist jurists. It's plain English. Read it and interpret it based on what it says on it's context, not based on your politcal agenda or policy beliefs or religious convictions or what some Euroweinie court ruled. The dems want the constitution interpreted as a "living document". Some dem political hack atty today commented negatively (in her context) along the lines of "today the constitution trumped politics and good public policy".

Lautenberg is saying much the same thing. "Bush's supreme court justices" did not put ideology ahead of policy. They put the plain language and historical context of the constitution above government infringements.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hogleg quoted:
"I am profoundly disappointed in Justice Roberts and Justice Alito, both of whom assured us of their respect for precedent. With this decision, 70 years of precedent has gone out the window. And I believe the people of this great country will be less safe because of it." — Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.
We're less safe because of the political machinations of people like her is more like it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
SNIP Some dem political hack atty today commented negatively (in her context) along the lines of "today the constitution trumped politics and good public policy".
Heh, heh, heh. Just need to ask her what she's going to do when politics and good public policy require the supression of hack attorneys.

scarletwahoo

imported post

Huck wrote:
From what I've seen in the news and heard from folks who've visited NJ the communities are far from being safe as it is.

Yes, it is very unsafe. When I lived there, I had my apt robbed by armed men and heard countless stories of armed robberies/rape. It's also funny how with a modest amount of money you can go out and illegally buy a handgun, and to do it legally it's a hassle. I live in VA now and I love it here, NJ has absolutely nothing good to offer.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

hsmith wrote:

+1 or better yet, maybe she should just kill herself.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
It's not a two edged sword. Today SCOTUS upheld the constitution. Where all these dems have it wrong is that we need constitutionalist jurists. It's plain English. Read it and interpret it based on what it says on it's context, not based on your politcal agenda or policy beliefs or religious convictions or what some Euroweinie court ruled. The dems want the constitution interpreted as a "living document". Some dem political hack atty today commented negatively (in her context) along the lines of "today the constitution trumped politics and good public policy".

Lautenberg is saying much the same thing. "Bush's supreme court justices" did not put ideology ahead of policy. They put the plain language and historical context of the constitution above government infringements.
+1. Very well said.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
It's not a two edged sword. Today SCOTUS upheld the constitution.
QFT

In fact they exercised judicial restraint in ruling on the case they had before them, unlike the judicial legislators on the liberal side (for example, in the previous day's case on the death penalty)

MetalChris

imported post

hsmith wrote:

Better idea...maybe Feinstein could eat a nine, or better yet a .45.