• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hot question - what is % breakdown between revolvers and semi-auto handgun ownership and sales?

Pointman

imported post

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/ascii/guic.txt

Since over 80% of the guns available in the United
States are manufactured here, gun production is a
reasonable indicator of the guns made available.
From 1973 to 1993, U.S. manufacturers produced--
6.6 million .357 Magnum revolvers
6.5 million .38 Special revolvers
5.4 million .22 caliber pistols
5.3 million .22 caliber revolvers
4.5 million .25 caliber pistols
3.1 million 9 millimeter pistols
2.4 million .380 caliber pistols
2.2 million .44 Magnum revolvers
1.7 million .45 caliber pistols
1.2 million .32 caliber revolvers.

During the two decades from 1973 to 1993, the
types of handguns most frequently produced have
changed. Most new handguns are pistols rather
than revolvers. Pistol production grew from 28%
of the handguns produced in the United States in
1973 to 80% in 1993.

he number of large-caliber pistols produced
annually increased substantially after 1986.
Until the mid-1980s, most pistols produced in the
United States were .22 and .25 caliber models.
Production of .380 caliber and 9 millimeter
pistols began to increase substantially in 1987,
so that by 1993 they became the most frequently
produced pistols. From 1991 to 1993, the last 3
years for which data are available, the most
frequently produced handguns were--
.380 caliber pistols (20%)
9 millimeter pistols (19%)
.22 caliber pistols (17%)
.25 caliber pistols (13%)
.50 caliber pistols (8%).

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Pointman wrote:

reasonable indicator of the guns made available. ...
I really feel the need to question that assertion, at least with respect to handguns. The most popular handgun currently seems to be the Glock. Glock is made in Austria.

Of the remaing brands, Taurus handguns are made in Brazil, Charles Daly in Turkey, Rock River in the Philipines, Para Ordnance in Canada, and Springfield Armory's XD series in Croatia. I've taught CCW classes in southern MIssouri and worked for a brief time in a pawn shop/gun store. The above named brands, along with Beretta and Walther are by far the most commonly seen and purchased at least in my part of the country. S&W handguns are starting to gain some popularity with the new M&P pistols, Ruger seems to be generally unpopular with the exception of their Mini-14 rifle, and Colts are considered collectors' items. In short, I really think that it's questionable to claim that most guns are made in America anymore.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

brolin_1911a1 wrote:
Pointman wrote:

I really feel the need to question that assertion, at least with respect to handguns. The most popular handgun currently seems to be the Glock. Glock is made in Austria.

Of the remaing brands, Taurus handguns are made in Brazil, Charles Daly in Turkey, Rock River in the Philipines, Para Ordnance in Canada, and Springfield Armory's XD series in Croatia. I've taught CCW classes in southern MIssouri and worked for a brief time in a pawn shop/gun store. The above named brands, along with Beretta and Walther are by far the most commonly seen and purchased at least in my part of the country. S&W handguns are starting to gain some popularity with the new M&P pistols, Ruger seems to be generally unpopular with the exception of their Mini-14 rifle, and Colts are considered collectors' items. In short, I really think that it's questionable to claim that most guns are made in America anymore.
well, I saw some numbers today that imports were almost equal to domestic manufacture, so that means that since we export some handguns, things are about even - but really, do many foreign makers bring revolvers into the US?

Wheelgunner

imported post

Another way of looking at this is the holsters available. Revolver designs are almost gone, replaced by "Sepra" and Crydex" holsters for every make of auto available. I would guess that the 80% expressed by another poster is pretty close.

However, I still carry my 5" 29.

Attachments

• five!.jpg
    five!.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 600

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
brolin_1911a1 wrote:
Pointman wrote:

well, I saw some numbers today that imports were almost equal to domestic manufacture, so that means that since we export some handguns, things are about even - but really, do many foreign makers bring revolvers into the US?

Taurus brings in modern revolvers into the US, so does Rossi. Beretta and Uberti both make reproduction single action revolvers which get imported into the U.S. Pietta also imports single action reproductions.

And I wonder if you can count military surplus revolvers like all the Nagants that are being brought in, although they were all produced before or during 1945.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

It could help the residents of D.C. now that the D.C. v Heller has affirmed the right of the residents to own handguns. The "reasonable restrictions" waffling seems to protect the right to own firearms "in common use." Currently D.C. is holding that semiautomatic handguns, i.e., most pistols, are still banned. Figures showing that such pistols are now the most commonly used handguns for self protection or otherwise could be invaluable in challenging the next iteration of the D.C. ban.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

brolin_1911a1 wrote:
It could help the residents of D.C. now that the D.C. v Heller has affirmed the right of the residents to own handguns. The "reasonable restrictions" waffling seems to protect the right to own firearms "in common use." Currently D.C. is holding that semiautomatic handguns, i.e., most pistols, are still banned. Figures showing that such pistols are now the most commonly used handguns for self protection or otherwise could be invaluable in challenging the next iteration of the D.C. ban.
Rats! You let the cat out of the bag!:cool:

hsmith

imported post

Mike wrote:
hsmith wrote:
Mike,

What are you trying to "prove," that might help the search.
I just need sources of fact on ownershipa and sales. We have production - that's the best proxy I guess.
Wouldn't be making 'em if they couldn't sell 'em :D

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Mike wrote:
hsmith wrote:
Mike,

What are you trying to "prove," that might help the search.
I just need sources of fact on ownershipa and sales. We have production - that's the best proxy I guess.
Wouldn't be making 'em if they couldn't sell 'em :D
Colt makes lots of M16s. Doesn't really prove much if you can't tell how much of that production went to government contracts or police forces.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
"In common use"?

Hell, I'm moving to DC so I can get me a full-auto AK-47. There are what, close to 100 million of those floating around the world right now?

:celebrate

I would put the number in the billions, actually. The USSR literally gave away truckloads of AK-47s to anyone who said "yeah, we hate the U.S.". After their collapse, licensed and unlicensed factories sprang up that make AK-pattern weapons in both Russian and NATO calibers, and the AK pattern remains the single most common armament for militaries around the world. That includes China, which domestically produces the Type 56 and Type 81, and most of the former Warsaw Pact countries who either kept the rifle as-is or took over Soviet factories and retooled them to produce NATO-caliber weapons. Most of Africa uses them simply because they're cheap, and in some cases because they're available on the black market.

Now, as far as civilian- or NGE-owned full-auto AKs, your estimate is probably a bit closer (though including NGEs the supply is virtually unlimited asthe variousMuslim extremist factionscan get as many as they want from Syria and Iran). However, from a universal standpoint the AK-47 and its variants are the single most commonfirearm on the planet. Why then should U.S. citizens not be able to buy it, or its western counterpart the M16/M4?

rodbender

imported post

Mike wrote:
brolin_1911a1 wrote:
Rats! You let the cat out of the bag!:cool:

Mike, I'm not near the smartest guy in the world, but I knew what it was about as soon as I read your first post. Of course, I had alreadywatched your interview on the newD.C. regs. 2+2 don't equal anything but 4.

By the way, got some info on some empty billboards just north of San Marcos. North bound into the downtown area. There was really nothing north of Buda. I thinkTravis Co. has a lot of heavy regs and I suppose nobody thinks it's worth it.

All are from thesame ad co. except one, so you might get a good deal.

I'll get info to you tomorrow after I get the # for the daily electronic sign. It's northbound just as you leave the downtown area.