Thread: Help me understand my local city's muni code

, ,

Post imported post

Here's the text from the city of Monrovia Muni Code:

Within the limits of any parks or public places, or within the limits of Monrovia Canyon Park, it shall be unlawful for any person to do any of the acts specified in this section, to wit:

(B) To carry or discharge any firearm, firecracker, rockets, torpedoes or any other fireworks, or air gun or slingshot;

My question is how is a public place defined? I wish toOC, but does that mean I can't OC while walking down the sidewalk as it's a public place? Or does public place refer just to parks, libraries, etc.?

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it

State Researcher
    Stanislaus County, California, USA

Post imported post

Do a forum search for "preemption" and you should find the discussion you're looking for.

Basically, municipalities can only prohibit firearms on municipal property, such as fair grounds. Basically only places they have a right to permanently fence off and keep people out of. This would not include public streets & sidewalks.

Many localities still have such laws on the books. They're basically just there because the bureaucrats are too lazy to remove them. Maybe they even want people to think they're still in force. Who knows.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not an attorney and this is not legal advice.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" -
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation -
    Supporter of the Madison Society -

Don't Tread On Me.