• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me understand my local city's muni code

moleculo

imported post

Here's the text from the city of Monrovia Muni Code:

§ 12.32.030 UNLAWFUL ACTS SPECIFIED.
Within the limits of any parks or public places, or within the limits of Monrovia Canyon Park, it shall be unlawful for any person to do any of the acts specified in this section, to wit:

(B) To carry or discharge any firearm, firecracker, rockets, torpedoes or any other fireworks, or air gun or slingshot;

My question is how is a public place defined? I wish toOC, but does that mean I can't OC while walking down the sidewalk as it's a public place? Or does public place refer just to parks, libraries, etc.?

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Do a forum search for "preemption" and you should find the discussion you're looking for.

Basically, municipalities can only prohibit firearms on municipal property, such as fair grounds. Basically only places they have a right to permanently fence off and keep people out of. This would not include public streets & sidewalks.

Many localities still have such laws on the books. They're basically just there because the bureaucrats are too lazy to remove them. Maybe they even want people to think they're still in force. Who knows.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not an attorney and this is not legal advice.