• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What the Heller ruling did not change

tattedupboy

imported post

All that today's Heller rulingchanged was the acknowledement an individual right to keep and bear arms. While the handgun ban and the requirement that shotguns and rifles be either disassembled or fitted with trigger locks was overturned, the licensure and registration components were kept intact. In theory this means that if the city wants to keep things the way they were prior to the law being struck down, it could make the licensure and registration requirements so stringent (ie., a 10,000% increase in the registration fee), and there isnothing in this decision stopping it. Overall, I'm breathing a sigh of relief, but when all is said and done, Washington, D.C. will continue to have America's worst gun laws.

Some of the draconian laws that were unaffected by the ruling include:

The "machine gun" ban: In D.C., any gun that shoots 12 or more rounds without reloading is considered a "machine gun" and is illegal to possess there.

The ban on "sawed off" shotguns: In D.C., any shotgun with a barrel under 20 inches in length is considered a sawed off shotgun and is illegal to possess there.

Possession of unregistered ammunition: In D.C. you're only allowed to purchase or possess ammunition if you have a certificate of registration for a weapon of the same gauge or caliber. Furthermore, the ammo itself must be registered. You can go to jail for possession of unregistered ammo.

Pepper spray: Pepper spray has to be registered in Washington, D.C.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Without a doubt, DC is still an American Abomination and it will take a long time to set things right. I expect they'll push back hard on other fronts.

Make no mistake, this is a war. A social war.

What's another term for period of drastic social change - "social war"?

Oh yeah - REVOLUTION!

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
All that today's Heller rulingchanged was the acknowledement an individual right to keep and bear arms. While the handgun ban and the requirement that shotguns and rifles be either disassembled or fitted with trigger locks was overturned, the licensure and registration components were kept intact. In theory this means that if the city wants to keep things the way they were prior to the law being struck down, it could make the licensure and registration requirements so stringent (ie., a 10,000% increase in the registration fee), and there isnothing in this decision stopping it. Overall, I'm breathing a sigh of relief, but when all is said and done, Washington, D.C. will continue to have America's worst gun laws.

Some of the draconian laws that were unaffected by the ruling include:

The "machine gun" ban: In D.C., any gun that shoots 12 or more rounds without reloading is considered a "machine gun" and is illegal to possess there.

The ban on "sawed off" shotguns: In D.C., any shotgun with a barrel under 20 inches in length is considered a sawed off shotgun and is illegal to possess there.

Possession of unregistered ammunition: In D.C. you're only allowed to purchase or possess ammunition if you have a certificate of registration for a weapon of the same gauge or caliber. Furthermore, the ammo itself must be registered. You can go to jail for possession of unregistered ammo.

Pepper spray: Pepper spray has to be registered in Washington, D.C.
I have to disagree that the "Machine Gun" ban was not affected, as well as the ammunition and pepper spray laws...

What the court stated today was that the government may not ban a weapon that is used "commonly" for self defense.

One can make a strong argument that since there was an AWB at one time, these must have been common enough to require legislation against them.

Now, I wouldn't recommend being the test case for this law on this theory, as there are some definite holes in there, but I foresee many more cases in lower federal courts touching on these types of issues.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And Brown v Board of Education didn't really change anything much.

I think that Heller, like Brown, is a stepping off point to re-assert our constitutionally protected rights.

Today SCOTUS reinforced the foundation. Tomorrow we can start rehabilitating the house. It is going to be a long slow rehab, but it can be done.