• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello All!

Loco

imported post

Wonderfuil site you all have here. I have learned alot. I live in Orange County California and appreciate you all for helping us! I have a question?

The CCW applications seem easy enough, but traps for sure. "Ever convicted of a crime?" In the case ofateenie bopper & young adultwho hadsome minor scrapes with the law but no feloniesor felony convictions. Are thoseissues enough to keep a personfrom a CCW?It didnot stopa person from legally purchasing 3 firearms in CA (S&W 9 mm (pre-ban clips), 12 gauge & .357 S&W) but again, would those excludesomeone from a CCW?It states on the OC/CA CCWapplication "Of good moral character!" Alot of grey area's to throw at yaon that one...

Thank you again and I appreciate any help and advice given.

Respects,

Loco...

cato

Loco

imported post

Thanks for the advice and the links...Will do.

Loco...

jakemccoy

imported post

cato wrote:
Spend some time reading over these. Tread lightly and keep you trap shut on some of those sights until you understand the lay of the land. Thats the best advise I can give. And Orange County is going through the pains of a Sheriff change. Do your research first. Don't be impatient. Read penal code 12050.

http://californiaccw.org/forums/list.page

http://www.calccw.com/

http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php
I agree about keeping your trap shut.Some people over at calccw.com area little toosmug with their CCW permits.

Mechanic

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA
imported post

Regarding the OC CCW issue, one of the local AM stations, I think it was KNX, but could have been KFWB, reported that the new sheriff, Dana Parsons, was concerned about the "high" number of CCW permits (1200 reported by the newscaster vs. 400+ in all of LA county), issued by Carona and would review each and every one to determine if they were "necessary".

Potential big step backwards for concealed carry in OC.

flyingm

imported post

Mechanic wrote:
Regarding the OC CCW issue, one of the local AM stations, I think it was KNX, but could have been KFWB, reported that the new sheriff, Dana Parsons, was concerned about the "high" number of CCW permits (1200 reported by the newscaster vs. 400+ in all of LA county), issued by Carona and would review each and every one to determine if they were "necessary".

Potential big step backwards for concealed carry in OC.
Please note that the new OC sheriff is Sandra Hutchens. Also please note that that that line regarding the "high" number was the LA Times article's opinion. The only thing that Sheriff Hutchens stated was

"The important thing to me is they need to have demonstrated a need," Hutchens said.

And if there's no need, she'll revoke the permits. "That's probably not going to be popular with a lot of people," she said.
Article http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gunpermits18-2008jun18,0,5805212.story

Just want to put it in better perspective.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

OCOC wrote:
The only thing that Sheriff Hutchens stated was

"The important thing to me is they need to have demonstrated a need," Hutchens said.

And if there's no need, she'll revoke the permits. "That's probably not going to be popular with a lot of people," she said.
Article http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gunpermits18-2008jun18,0,5805212.story

Just want to put it in better perspective.

How can you demonstrate a need for a right? How can you predict what level of defense you will need in the future? If no present threat can be ascertained, is that a disqualifier for good cause?

The victims of Virginia Tech certainly had good cause, but could not have possibly predicted that in advance of the arrival of Cho.

I believe if she took and oath to defend the Constitution against enemies foreign and domesticand if sheimpairs just one persons right to keep and bear arms, she has violated that oath. Such a person is deserving of our loathing as a traitor.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I believe if she took and oath to defend the Constitution against enemies foreign and domesticand if sheimpairs just one persons right to keep and bear arms, she has violated that oath. Such a person is deserving of our loathing as a traitor.
+1

I think the word for this type of person is "tyrant." The guys that wrote the 2nd Amendment had an effective way of dealing with tyrants.

flyingm

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
How can you demonstrate a need for a right? How can you predict what level of defense you will need in the future? If no present threat can be ascertained, is that a disqualifier for good cause?

The victims of Virginia Tech certainly had good cause, but could not have possibly predicted that in advance of the arrival of Cho.

I believe if she took and oath to defend the Constitution against enemies foreign and domestic and if she impairs just one persons right to keep and bear arms, she has violated that oath. Such a person is deserving of our loathing as a traitor.
[/quote]

I don't necessarily dissagree with you on that front. I was just pointing out errors in his report. At this point she has not stated exactly what she believes constitutes good cause. At least not on record. We will see how she handles the situation when she is finished "reviewing" the currently issued CCW permits. I am not sure yet if she is in the Baca mindset or if this is just a show to prove she is being tough on the political favors the previous sheriff was rumored to have given out.

Unfortunately the position of sheriff is a political one, at least in Orange County. This might just be grandstanding "change" to help in the 2010 elections. Either way this should not be something for an elected official to decide.

On the note of being a traitor, according to the majority opinion in Heller, regulation such as CCW permits seems to he allowed. At least the way I read it.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

OCOC wrote:
On the note of being a traitor, according to the majority opinion in Heller, regulation such as CCW permits seems to he allowed. At least the way I read it.
Being a traitor to the constitution has little to do with what a bunch of judges say. Tyranny is still tyranny, even when sanctioned by our 2nd-to-last line of defense: the Supreme Court.