• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to buy handgun in DC

LEO 229

imported post

ed wrote:
why is this in VA?
Agreed... This is interesting but really should be in DC or GEN Discussion

From what I have read..... This board is turning out to be no different thanthe old Packing.org:uhoh:

HerbM

imported post

Or soloban wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
I wonder how passive-aggresive DC will be in issuing such a business license.
You shouldn't have to wonder. They are going to drag their heels every way possible. They will pass all sorts of obnoxious zoning laws to make it impossible for an FFL to open up shop. My guess is that if one is actually opened up it will be a very small operation and maybe even a transfer only type operation. Of course this will probably lead to further lawsuits against the District.

Another option would be for Congress to pass a law allowing residents of DC to purchase handguns in VA or MD.
And/or just drop the now obviously unconstitutional restriction on a citizen buying a handgun out of his/her home state.

A right to own a gun, including a handgun cannot be lost (legitimately) by crossing a state line. Especially due to Federal law.

les_aker

imported post

HerbM wrote:
And/or just drop the now obviously unconstitutional restriction on a citizen buying a handgun out of his/her home state.

A right to own a gun, including a handgun cannot be lost (legitimately) by crossing a state line. Especially due to Federal law.

That would be an interesting court challenge in light of the USSC decision.

67GT390FB

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
ed wrote:
why is this in VA?
Agreed... This is interesting but really should be in DC or GEN Discussion

From what I have read..... This board is turning out to be no different thanthe old Packing.org:uhoh:

um this sounds more like sour grapes than anything from packing.org.

now that you are no longer in a position of authority, of course the website is going down the tubes. (sarcasm)

denigrating VCDL and its president wasn't enough of a bad move for you. Now that OCDO managment has removed you and the other member moderators lets denigrate OCDO by comparing it to a failed site.

67GT390FB

imported post

AbNo wrote:
67, quit trying to start fights on the internet.

No one's impressed.

ab,

not starting fights. not trying to impress anyone either. just speaking my mind.

can honestly say i did not lobby to have 229 removed. can't say that i was disappointed or suprised in his removal.

but i will not stand idly by while he spouts off negatively about the forum, post-removal.

not sure where you are coming from but look into the history of this forum and you will find that leo and i have never gotten into it. we have had some issues where we agree to disagree one that i can remember was over shooting ranges/ability to shootin culpeper. about the worst thing i ever said about leo was comparing his and citizens relationship to that of the adam sandler/kevin james film "i now pronounce you ????? and ?????.

i post on here when i have something to say, not to pad my post count.

AbNo

imported post

Well, my point is, let's keep this thread on topic, please.

"How to buy handgun in DC"

I can't see how someone is or is no longer a mod, or who's gossiping about whom can answer those questions. :D

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Back on topic, I suspect the first wave of DC gun registrations will be formerly 'dirty'/ unregistered pieces or guns owned by residents but stored outside the city. I think it will be some time before we see a retail FFL. I'd suggest the black powder conversion route in the meantime.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum16/12852.html

les_aker

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Back on topic, I suspect the first wave of DC gun registrations will be formerly 'dirty'/ unregistered pieces or guns owned by residents but stored outside the city. I think it will be some time before we see a retail FFL. I'd suggest the black powder conversion route in the meantime.

I think you're first about the first wave being formerly unregistered guns owned by residents, but I doubt that they were necessarily stored outside the city. I suspect that there are a considerable number of DC residents who moved into the city after the ban went into effect but owned at least one gun they didn't take out billboard space about having.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

les_aker wrote:
longwatch wrote:

I think you're first about the first wave being formerly unregistered guns owned by residents, but I doubt that they were necessarily stored outside the city. I suspect that there are a considerable number of DC residents who moved into the city after the ban went into effect but owned at least one gun they didn't take out billboard space about having.
Indeed that was an elephant in the room I didn't want to mention but I agree. I think DCMPs instructions even seem to hint at that.