• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to buy handgun in DC

HerbM

imported post

Where can a DC resident even buy a handgun legally?

I may have found an FFL gun dealer in DC but you will never guess who it is:

Please swallow any liquids and remove all foreign objects from your mouth before proceeding.

The quintessence of hypocrisy?
Posted by David Hardy · 11 February 2008 11:26 AM
http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2008/02/the_quintessenc.php

Josh Sugarmann, head of Violence Policy Center, has a Federal Firearm Dealer's license. The business address is VPC's headquarters in D.C.. Which, if I recollect DC law correctly, means VPC is exempt from the handgun ban they defend."
VPC%20FFL.jpg

:lol::lol:If this doesn't cause you to laugh, then have someone check you for a pulse. :lol::lol:

PS: There may be others but this is the ONLY ONE listed on http://www.gunbroker.com/User/FFLByState.asp for DC.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And he renewed it this year:

License Number: 1-54-XXX-XX-XX-00725

Expiration Date: 03/01/2011

License Name:SUGARMANN, JOSHUA ALAN

Trade Name:

Premise Address:
1730 RHODE ISLAND AVE NW #1014
WASHINGTON
DC - 20036

Mailing Address:
1730 RHODE ISLAND AVE NW #1014
WASHINGTON
DC - 20036

HerbM

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Apparently, there are more FFLs in DC. See here
FFLs but apparently they don't (all?) sell firearms or do transfers...

Supposedly there are a total (?) of six FFL who MIGHT handle a firearm transfer to a DC resident (none are required to do so of course):

Arena Stage (Strongly suspect this is a stage theatre company that uses firearms in plays)
Sixth St & Maine Ave Sw
Washington, DC 20024
Phone# 202-554-9066

Cs Exchange Ltd (nothing on these folks is on the web)
1219 Good Hope Rd Se 2nd Floor
Washington, DC 20020
Phone# 301-577-1667

Firearms And Explosives Services Division (This is the BATFE themselves apparently)
99 New York Avenue, Ne, Room 6s144
Washington, DC 20226
Phone# 202-648-7166

K S Supply Co (nothing on these folks is on the web)
2800 Woodley Rd Nw #317
Washington, DC 20008

Shakespeare Theatre Inc (Strongly suspect this is a stage theatre company that uses firearms in plays)
450 7th St Nw
Washington, DC 20004
Phone# 202-547-3230

Sugarmann, Joshua Alan (VPC -- Violence Policy Center [gun control] see message with graphic above)
1730 Rhode Island Ave Nw #1014
Washington, DC 20036
Phone# 202-822-8200

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HerbM wrote:
SNIP If this doesn't cause you to laugh, then have someone check you for a pulse.
I'm not laughing, yet. (That's not a criticism of your laughing.)

I'm just trying to figure out his angle. What is hedoing with it? Why does he have it?

I wonder ifhe is an arms dealer. Therehave beenplenty ofpeople who hid their real game behind a contrary label. I'm not saying he is; I have no informationthat suggests even a hint. I'm speculating as to why a VPC member would have an FFL.

Also, it occurs to me that the market is rather restricted. Demand is going to go up, but supply will be limited. So prices will be high. He would be in a position to make money on this.

It would be interesting to find out when he first got his license--before Heller or after.

67GT390FB

imported post

ed wrote:
why is this in VA?

let's see:

1.) DC borders VA

2.) DC constantly blames VA gun laws for its criminal element having guns.

3.) A large portion of DC's workforce lives in NOVA.

4.) Maybe there is an enterprising FFL located in VA that would want to rent a cheap storefront in DC and rack up the sales for the first few months.

Thundar

imported post

HerbM wrote:
Where can a DC resident even buy a handgun legally?

I may have found an FFL gun dealer in DC but you will never guess who it is:

Please swallow any liquids and remove all foreign objects from your mouth before proceeding.

The quintessence of hypocrisy?
Posted by David Hardy · 11 February 2008 11:26 AM
http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2008/02/the_quintessenc.php

Josh Sugarmann, head of Violence Policy Center, has a Federal Firearm Dealer's license. The business address is VPC's headquarters in D.C.. Which, if I recollect DC law correctly, means VPC is exempt from the handgun ban they defend."
VPC%20FFL.jpg

:lol::lol:If this doesn't cause you to laugh, then have someone check you for a pulse. :lol::lol:

PS: There may be others but this is the ONLY ONE listed on http://www.gunbroker.com/User/FFLByState.asp for DC.
I don't know if this makes him a hypocrite, but I do think that this makes him a felon. Does he really devote time and energy for profit as required on the FFL I application??

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

At least the good people of DC won't have to go to dangerous & dirty backalley weapon dealers to acquire the means of their self defense! :celebrate:celebrate

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I wrote in and asked how to apply for a CHP.. They just responded:

In a message dated 6/27/2008 3:21:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, customerservice.mpd2@dc.gov writes:

Good afternoon. Thank you for your recent correspondence to the Metropolitan Police Department. The District of Columbia does not permit concealed handguns. Information about firearms regulations can be found on the MPD website: www.mpdc.dc.gov.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Unit
Metropolitan Police Department

Glock27Bill

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
ed wrote:
why is this in VA?

let's see:

1.) DC borders VA

2.) DC constantly blames VA gun laws for its criminal element having guns.

3.) A large portion of DC's workforce lives in NOVA.

4.) Maybe there is an enterprising FFL located in VA that would want to rent a cheap storefront in DC and rack up the sales for the first few months.
I wonder how passive-aggresive DC will be in issuing such a business license.

soloban

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I wonder how passive-aggresive DC will be in issuing such a business license.
You shouldn't have to wonder. They are going to drag their heels every way possible. They will pass all sorts of obnoxious zoning laws to make it impossible for an FFL to open up shop. My guess is that if one is actually opened up it will be a very small operation and maybe even a transfer only type operation. Of course this will probably lead to further lawsuits against the District.

Another option would be for Congress to pass a law allowing residents of DC to purchase handguns in VA or MD.

mobeewan

imported post

I thought from a thread earlier this year that Sugarmann's FFL was revoked. The thread brought up the fact he had an FFL and people called BATF to complain he was not actively engaged in selling firearms since his organization was against firearms ownership, so BATF pulled his FFL.:question: