• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

History: How did OC (re)start in VA?

HerbM

imported post

What is the history? Or where can I find that one the web?

How did OC (re)start in VA?

I lived in Richmond late 80's to early 90's and knew nothing about it -- I suspect it might have always been legal but no one was doing it much?

Was there a modern court case or law passed (I doubt it since it looks like it is the abscence of such a law that allows it.)

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

VCDL was a major push in OC in VA. We started doing it in the mid 90's as the only legal way to carry in restraurants. It was mentioned in alerts at the time to let everyone know they had that option.

Really the restaurant ban was behind the upsurge as I see it. The one positive thing that came from the ban.

HerbM

imported post

So is this the basic scenario:

1) State passed July 1, 2004 Virginia statute 15.2-915 prohibiting any locality from enacting any regulations on gun ownership, carrying, storage or purchase, except for rules related to the workforce.

2) There was no law against carryng ordinary 'firearms' at the state level

3) Various braves souls (you have my admiration) at Starbucks and Chammps restaurant (and others) tested the law -- got arrested in some cases -- and forced the DAs and police to admit it was legal?

Four years later it is more popular than ever despite the standard gun control argument of the VPC:

Openly carrying weapons is "not a good idea," said Kristen Rand of the Violence Policy Center in Washington. "This is the gun lobby's vision of how America should be. Everybody's packing heat and ready to engage in a shootout at the slightest provocation." Ricker said the gun owners "are probably doing their cause more harm than good by raising this issue. It raises an awareness and gives people who are more rational thinkers the opportunity to go to their legislators and make their views known."

BTW: Congratulations on your fight for liberty and freedoms of the Constitutions of both Virginia and the United States of America.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Actually, OC goes way back. It just didn't have a proper name. Country people in Va have carried a gun for as long as I can remember.

I've done it for forty years +-. Until VCDL made the scene, Concealed permits were impossible to get in many areas. I think I got mine in 76 or so. In those days, you had to jump through whatever hoops the judge decided to put up.

Permits had to be re applied for (not renewed) every year. I also had to list every gun I owned and the serial numbers. Around 85 I got fed up with that, and didn't re apply.

I went back to my old habit of OC.

When VCDL came around, OC got a name and some publicity. People who never carried a gun, started and people who carried a gun quietly (like in their car) strapped them on.

To be honest, the new "Shall Issue" permits are a two edged sword. While anyone can get one, they are rapidly becoming a form of nation wide registration and identification.

As more states recognize the others permits, the database gets bigger.

Further, the States grant more privileges, note I didn't say rights, to CHP holders. For instance, they can carry off season in WMA's and National Forest Land. They can carry while bowhunting. etc. These things have nothing to do with the qualifications for a CHP.

I can see a day when only CHP holders may purchase guns. Don't laugh. Look at what Drivers Licenses have become.

Hopefully, Va will start easing into limited concealed carry without a permit and eventually into an Alaskan type law.

A good example of this is a gentleman who came on the board to sell a handgun. He would only sell to CWP holders or LEO's. I thought it took a lot of nerve to come on an open carry board and to sell a gun and make the terms CWP holders only. No one else agreed.

He wasn't a bad person, just a brainwashed $%^&.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

HerbM wrote:
What is the history? Or where can I find that one the web?

I lived in Richmond late 80's to early 90's and knew nothing about it -- I suspect it might have always been legal but no one was doing it much?

Was there a modern court case or law passed (I doubt it since it looks like it is the abscence of such a law that allows it.)

1607, Jamestown, Va.

bacon_29677_lg.gif

vbnative73

imported post

peter nap wrote:
A good example of this is a gentleman who came on the board to sell a handgun. He would only sell to CWP holders or LEO's. I thought it took a lot of nerve to come on an open carry board and to sell a gun and make the terms CWP holders only. No one else agreed.

Gee thanks. lol. By the way, I actually listen to yours and others input and settled for having the person sign and date the following statement which will go no further than a folder in my filing cabinet.

"By signing below, I certify that I am legally eligible to purchase and possess a handgun in the Commonwealth of Virginia."

It wassimply CYA on my part. By the way, he was a Newport News Firefighter who did not have a CHP. I've got 2 retired and 1 active VBFD in my family and my dad would have never forgiven me if I wouldn't sell my gun to a firefighter.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Gee thanks. lol. By the way, I actually listen to yours and others input and settled for having the person sign and date the following statement which will go no further than a folder in my filing cabinet.

"By signing below, I certify that I am legally eligible to purchase and possess a handgun in the Commonwealth of Virginia."

It wassimply CYA on my part. By the way, he was a Newport News Firefighter who did not have a CHP. I've got 2 retired and 1 active VBFD in my family and my dad would have never forgiven me if I wouldn't sell my gun to a firefighter.

:lol:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
1607, xxxxxxxxxxxx, Jamestown, Va.

bacon_29677_lg.gif

Pro,

Please remove that nasty refernce to Massachussets from your post. XXXXXXX has nothing to do with Jamestown.

Joe
haha, so edited! My son was sitting here with me and when he saw that pic, he said "is that the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock?" As I was answering him and typing at the same time, I must have inserted Plymouth Rock in without realizing it. Thanks for the catch. I wouldnt want our fine Commonwealth to be associated with Taxachusettes either.

FreeRoy

imported post

HerbM wrote:

I'm so glad that this was answered, quickly and correctly.

To the best of my knowledge, it has NEVER been illegal in the Commonwealth, or the colony, of Virginia for law-abiding adults to possess and openly carry firearms. (With the exception of a shameful era when "Negros" were denied that right.)

This is a right which our forefathers had under English law (that is, providing that they were Protestant).

For that matter (with reference to my own case), I don't think that there has ever been any law against OC while drinking.

AbNo

imported post

RoyB wrote:
(With the exception of a shameful era when "Negros" were denied that right.)

And this is a point I love hammering on when I talk to people of a... liberal persuasion.

Gun control started as a heavily racist institution.