• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Clarification (Georgia)

Acebris

imported post

I have a GFL andnormally carry concealed, but there are times whereopen carry wouldbe my preference.

I suppose I'm slightly confused as to whether or not a personholding a GFL is allowed to open carry in Georgia. I've read severalposts here that seem to suggest you need a separate license for open carry, of course I could just be misreadingthose posts.

I know that Georgia law is vauge as to whereopen carry is permissable, butI suppose myquestion is: "Does having a GFL permit me to open carry?"

Jared

imported post

Acebris wrote:
I have a GFL andnormally carry concealed, but there are times whereopen carry wouldbe my preference.

I suppose I'm slightly confused as to whether or not a personholding a GFL is allowed to open carry in Georgia. I've read severalposts here that seem to suggest you need a separate license for open carry, of course I could just be misreadingthose posts.

I know that Georgia law is vauge as to whereopen carry is permissable, butI suppose myquestion is: "Does having a GFL permit me to open carry?"

Yes it does, in fact, before Zell Miller was govenor (he signed the shall issue CCW law) a GFL only allowed one to open carry.

Zell Miller signed the bill to add CCW to the GFL back in the day because a good friend of his was a border patrol agent in Vermont who told him how New Hampshire had a $10 shall issue permit and how Vermont had no law against carrying. Zell liked the idea and the legislature did to (although GA's law is garbage compared to VT and NH).

In short yes, you can open carry anywhere you can CCW in GA as long as you possess a GFL.

mcfy

imported post

Hello all, I am from GA and have a GFL myself and follow all the changes that are starting on 07-01-08 in GA and make it a point to know the law well.

I would say no to the above post becasue you have a FL permit not GA.

Open carry comes up a bunch on Glock Talk,while I was readingnew postson GT today I came across a thread on this topic andsomeoneposted this page in it and I came over to see what it's about.

Check this topic out on glock talk, some LEOs have posted replies..

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888142

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mcfy wrote:
Helllo all, I am from GA and have a GFL myself and follow all the changes that are starting on 07-01-08 in GA and make it a point to know the law well.

This open carry come up a bunch on Glock Talk, I was onglock talk and this page was posted by another member I guess and came over to see what it's about.

As GA accepts FL's carry permit, see http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/florida_map.gif, of course he can open carry in GA.

mcfy

imported post

Mike wrote:
mcfy wrote:
Helllo all, I am from GA and have a GFL myself and follow all the changes that are starting on 07-01-08 in GA and make it a point to know the law well.

This open carry come up a bunch on Glock Talk, I was onglock talk and this page was posted by another member I guess and came over to see what it's about.

As GA accepts FL's carry permit, see http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/florida_map.gif, of course he can open carry in GA.

Sir, I understand that GA accepts FL permits, but I will be willing to bet you 0.00:what: it's not that same thing..

I am not giving anyone legal advice nor do I want to pay anyones legal bill becasue I told them the wrong thing..

I am postingmy opinion, and my opinion is when you are in a different state conceal carry is the better choice.

mcfy

imported post

Another problem I see with this is that most cops don’t know the law accurately, so now you are going to add in an out of state permit in to the mix of an open carry issue? I don’t see that being a wise thing to do, officers will stop people that are open carrying.

Keep in mind not all officers know the open carry in GA is legal no less know GA accepts a FL permit, good luck not taking a ride with bracelets.

One of the best things I ever seen posted in a response is this. We must agree that all scenarios differ, as well as the training, experience, and opinions of the responding officers.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

My information is about seven years old, so double check this, but ...

I lived in Atlanta for about 12 years, and carried with a GFL for the last four or so. I read everything I could get my hands on, including court cases, old and (then) new, since I had LEXIS access.

The GFL was, at that time (and I imagine still is) a carry permit. Open, concealed, whatever. There were some few restrictions on how (in a holster and a few other methods) and what (handgun only, no knives, nunchaku, etc.) you could carry, but the GFL was equally good for open or concealed.

Now, carrying open in Atlanta was sure to draw LE attention and I never tried it. Only ever saw one person without a badge do it, and sure enough, APD was on the scene in minutes. But it was legal. (Sorry, don't know what happened in that one case ... the person had left my view when APD showed up, and I didn't follow them over to check).

Again, this information is a bit old, so don't rely on it without double-checking. But it was true in 2001.

regards,

GR

smn

imported post

If you haven't already, see GeorgiaPacking.org for the GA GFL Laws plus additional carry discussions. You'll learn a lot there, as I did.

rmodel65

imported post

yes you need to visit www.georgiapacking.org also you need to join www.georgiacarry.org immediately best 15$ you can spend to fight for your gun rights in georgia check out there page and go thru the case they have fought and wonwhich are all so far with 2 pending

i oc daily everywhere except for the movie last night just because i didnt want a hassle from the LEO at the front door

JDriver1.8t

imported post

mcfy wrote:
Hello all, I am from GA and have a GFL myself and follow all the changes that are starting on 07-01-08 in GA and make it a point to know the law well.

Open carry comes up a bunch on Glock Talk,while I was readingnew postson GT today I came across a thread on this topic andsomeoneposted this page in it and I came over to see what it's about.

Most of that thread says they will stop you to talk, and then let you go....
Also mostly anti-OC. They are set on the belief that OC makes you a target for crime.