• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CaliforniaOpenCarry.org

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wanted a way to point people to a single, easy-to-remember URL for information about California Open Carry. So, I created a website:

CaliforniaOpenCarry.org

It’s purpose is just to serve as a web portal, meaning a single centralized access point, to information specific to Open Carry in California.

It will primarily just include links to useful sites and documents, like this site, and the documents we’ve created here.

It is a work-in-progress. Please visit it and offer your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've heard that the page does not work with Internet Explorer 7. I've tried adding a fix but can't test it yet. If anyone uses IE 7, could you let me know if the page loads correctly? The flag should be in the background with the content on top of it.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

You may want to edit the back...

Furthermore, citizens are not required to answer any police questions, no matter what the reason, no matter what the circumstances.
This is not true. While I agree it is unconstitutional to force someone to speak, the courts have decided that they can force you to identify yourself. IIRC you have to give your full name and residence address. Failure to comply is PC to detain/arrest you until you can be identified. IIRC, this only applies when they are investigating a crime or suspicious activity. Since 12031(e) creates an assumption of guilt of violation of 12031, I believe this would qualify as an investigation of the latter sort.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Other than that; looks awesome. I wouldn't mind carrying some of these. The open carry flyer is great, but if I'm away from my car I usually don't have one on me. This would be easy enough to keep in my wallet.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

I think it would be great for opencarry.org to sell these cards in their store as well... Get different designs and whatnot... great cards and one thing that is needed here in Fresno is to educate our p.d. on our rights because they are usually draw weapon then ask questions. Very authoritarian here in Fresno which needs to be changed.

Open Carry Must Move Forward!

MudCamper wrote:
I've finished my California Open Carry Preamble Card. It's a business card sized document. The front is something that I intend to hand out to interested parties. The back is a reminder to peace officers of the limits of 12031(e) andof our rights not to be searched or questioned.

front: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarryPreamble.pdf

back: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/California12031RightsCard.pdf

Opinions welcome...

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
You may want to edit the back...

Furthermore, citizens are not required to answer any police questions, no matter what the reason, no matter what the circumstances.
This is not true. While I agree it is unconstitutional to force someone to speak, the courts have decided that they can force you to identify yourself.

OK. I made the necessary change:

"Furthermore, other than identifying themselves, citizens are not required to answer any police questions, no matter what the reason, no matter what the circumstances."

As always, I found good info on this here: http://www.flexyourrights.org/frequently_asked_questions#07

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member

cato

imported post

BTT for noobs and old hands and visiting LEOs ;).

Californiaopencarry.orgis the place to start with understanding the penal code and case laws.

Hat tip to Mudcamper for creating and maintaining that site and creating the below artwork (with due credit to the esteemed Founding Father Ben Franklin)!!

cato

imported post

bbt for one stop shopping

a poor man'swest coast sticky

and more "tell it like it is" artwork by oleg volk!!!!

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OK I'm confused now. When I created my CA OC card, I added the "showing ID" language to the back per CA_Lib's suggestion. However, in recent post the consensus is that one is not required to ID themselves to police in California. I've even been forum-tarred-and-feathered for suggesting we do so.

So, I'm thinking I should remove the "show ID" language from the back of the card... Any opinions?

ETA: This side: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/California12031RightsCard.pdf

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

MudCamper wrote:
OK I'm confused now. When I created my CA OC card, I added the "showing ID" language to the back per CA_Lib's suggestion. However, in recent post the consensus is that one is not required to ID themselves to police in California. I've even been forum-tarred-and-feathered for suggesting we do so.

So, I'm thinking I should remove the "show ID" language from the back of the card... Any opinions?

ETA: This side: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/California12031RightsCard.pdf
I was wrong. At the time I made that suggestion, I was not aware that CA's 'stop-and-identify' statute had been repealed. My apologies for the misinformation.

So yes, you could remove it, or even replace it with something saying you don't have to present ID unless you're stopped for a CVC (CA Vehicle Code) violation or are suspected of a crime. (If you're suspected of a crime, you can be detained for a period of time until you are identified.)