• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buffalo Wild Wings - Lynchburg

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just got back home from my regular Thursday night dinner with friends (about 9 p.m.) at the Lynchburg Buffalo Wild Wings and although the food and service was fine, I'm rather disappointed. Near the end of our meals my girlfriend noted the guys behind us commenting to their server about my openly carriedfirearm, whichhappened to becarried in a strapped top holster. Shortly afterward two managers showed up at my table and asked to speak with me outside. I agreed and we headed outside away from the crowd. Once outside, the general manager (Jason?)stated that although he had no problem with my openly carried firearm and further had no idea of what the law allowed for, he asked that if I come in at dinner time that I leave my firearm in the car because the franchisee, who owns this store and the stores in Roanoke does not like having guests carrying firearms in the evenings because of their greateralcohol sales. He further stated that he had no issue with folks carrying at lunch time because thealcohol sales were small and that he had several guests that carried at lunch. However,he also stated that he had askedthose guestsnot to return for dinner carrying their firearms because of the trouble that he has had with his alcohol consuming customers getting too rowdy and becoming a danger to the customers in the evening. He at that point admitted that the rowdiness and trouble was in no way caused by the gun owners, but he was afraid of the firearm getting into the possession of one of his intoxicated rowdy customers and that they would become a (further) danger to his other customers. Although he wasn't asking me to leave right then or even demanding that I leave my firearm in the car whenever I visit, it was his sincere request that I not carry it at dinner time. In response I let him know that I appreciated the way he handled the situation, however I do not give my money to businesses that would ask me to leave my firearm behind. Shortly afterward, the cordial conversation ended and I returned to my table to wrap up the dinner service and leave.

After this conversation with the general manager it became clear to me that this manager was already aware that he had lost control of his alcohol consuming customers and control of those who served the alcohol to those who were already intoxicated (because he stated that he had had problems). Further it was evident that he was more interested in continuing to rake in money from alcohol sales than providing a safe environment for his guests by ensuring that the alcohol consumers aren't drunk and troublesome. The time of evening that I was in the restaurant was from about 8 p.m. to 9 p.m., which is the same time that families might be and were dining out in that very same restaurant, not late in the evening when families would be less likely to be dining.

For myself, I willnot again be dining at this Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch or dinner since the manager has asked that I not come in during regular dinner hours with my firearm and has further indicated that his alcohol serving establishment may not be a safe place to be in the evenings as a result of his rowdy, drunk customers. It is my intent to make note of this situation with the Buffalo Wild Wings company, which sold the franchise and note to the VA Alcoholic Beverage Control what this manager related to me regarding the safety of his restaurant because of his alcohol consuming guests.

Take note that the franchisee who owns this store also owns the locations in Roanoke, VA as well. Until this restaurant welcomes the guests who care for their own safety and gets a handle on their rowdy, drunk customers I'd recommend staying out of this and the other mentioned Buffalo Wild Wings.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Great ideas.

Just as I was thinking to myself, "Why not report to the ABC," you go and write exactly that. Good thinking, even if I'm also complimenting myself. :)

I definitely would do just that.

And thepolice. Nothing helps ensure the safety and continued operation of a business like a sobriety checkpoint just down the street.

(Giggle) Of course, you could let them know you are going to do this, since the drunks are thick and out-of-control. I mean, you sincerely want to help this manager and the company get this situation under control, don't you? You don't want them in the embarrassing position of having to warn away good customers (you) and at the same timetacitly admit their staff can't control thedrunks. My, God. They might as well admit they have erectile problems. How terribly embarrassing.The situation must be horrible in there. I betsomeof the rowdies ignore the waiter's refusal to serve more alcohol,walk up to the bar, and just seize whatever they want. Its a miracle they even payfor it. :)

Yep. Its your duty to help this poor man get this situation under control. :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:banghead: Why would someone armed or not, want to visit a restaurant where the manager has told them that it may be unsafe due to their serving excessive amounts of alcohol to customers they know present a danger to other customers when inebriated?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

So your a danger because his establishment is overserving the customers? Worse he only cares that nothing happens that might endanger him, he seems to care less about everyone he's endangering by putting drunks on the road.

jack

Banned
imported post

I would write the owner / manager and inform them that you have written the Virginia Alcohol Control board and and reported that management of the said establishment has admitted to over- serving alcohol to people who are already intoxicated in violation of Virginia ABC laws.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've eaten at many Buffalo Wild Wings since there were plenty of them around where I grew up in Ohio and except for late in the evenings, when the crowd becomes more of a "bar" crowd, the place is rather family friendly. In fact I've been to this location on various occasions and have never seen the first incident.I do know from the times that I've been there sans gun so I could enjoy a brew or two, that the only thing the management does to control the alcohol pumped into a guest is ensure that the guest has completely finished off one drink before they'll bring another.

One funny thing I noted was that although the manager said he usually doesn't have any issue with uniformed on duty police carrying in his restaurant, he'd rather the off duty out of uniform ones leave their guns behind as well. I guess he knows he has trouble and doesn't want to be bothered with fixing it.

Sheriff

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
However,he also stated that he had askedthose guestsnot to return for dinner carrying their firearms because of the trouble that he has had with his alcohol consuming customers getting too rowdy and becoming a danger to the customers in the evening.
This is why I encourage people to carry small pocket recorders. With the manager's statement alone, on audio tape, there's a good chance you could have his ABC license revoked while they investigate the place. (I only say this because you have suggested contacting the ABC board, personally I would walk away and forget about it.)

And this event is exactly why our illustrious Governor Kaine should have alllowed the concealed weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol bill go ahead and become law.

Sheriff

imported post

jack wrote:
I would write the owner / manager and inform them that you have written the Virginia Alcohol Control board and and reported that management of the said establishment has admitted to over- serving alcohol to people who are already intoxicated in violation of Virginia ABC laws.

Wrong. This gives the manager time to get his lies straight. This is why anytime you see a critical incident go down, the police will say they will have a press release at 10:00 a.m. the next morning...... extra time for everybody to get all their lies straight.

Anyhow, a report to the ABC board is going to be contested. It will be Melvin's word against the managers. The manager will simply claim that's not exactly what he told Melvin. And from all appearances the ABC will think Melvin is just mad because he got tossed out of the restaurant. And their thinking this lessens Melvin's credibility just a tad.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff I bought a voice recorder just earlier this week for a situation similar to this, but for some reason I didn't put it back on after I worked out. It's probably that I'm not fully used to keeping it on me all the time yet, but I wanted to kick myself for forgetting it once I realized that I didn't have it. Live and learn I suppose.

I have no intention of giving the restaurant a "heads up" regarding my statement to the ABC. This manager indicated that he has made the same request to various people, so I would not be the only person who could be making note to the ABC. Apparently there have already been issues with the customers making trouble when inebriated, so I'm sure the ABC is already aware of the problem.

Sheriff

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Sherriff I bought a voice recorder just earlier this week for a situation similar to this, but for some reason I didn't put it back on after I worked out. It's probably that I'm not fully used to keeping it on me all the time yet, but I wanted to kick myself for forgetting it once I realized that I didn't have it. Live and learn I suppose.

I have no intention of giving the restaurant a "heads up" regarding my statement to the ABC. This manager indicated that he has made the same request to various people, so I would not be the only person who could be making note to the ABC. Apparently there have already been issues with the customers making trouble when inebriated, so I'm sure the ABC is already aware of the problem.

If we were standing in front of Wild Wings right now, I would kick you in the rear for forgetting the recorder. This is 2008. Video and audio does not lie in any situation. Plus we wouldn't have all these reality shows if video and audio weren't so popular now. :lol:

ABC board may not know there is a problem. A lof of people may think the same way you do, assuming the ABC board already knows the restaurant patrons are out of control. This manager must be 3 fries short of a Happy Meal to even have discussed his ABC license or problems with you. Amazing!

Sheriff

imported post

Had the manager called law enforcement, you most certainly would have wanted it with you.

Just don't let it happen again!
:lol:

EDITED TO ADD COLOR TO TEXT

bayboy42

imported post

I had my first Buffalo Wild Wings visit yesterday in Newport news Va. What a let down. Service sucked with an empty lunch crowd (we had to go track down our own waitress) and the wings were ok. I ordered them with the sauce farthest to the right (alledgedly super hot) but wasn't impressed with the fire level. I'll stick to Hooters....better scenery.

AbNo

imported post

You know, Melvin, you could stop by and ask to talk to the same manager again, THEN record him.

It's perfectly legal to record a conversation you're a part of. Even over the phone. :D

Give 'im a call, get your recording, then get ahold of the ABC. This is a public safety issue.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
I had my first Buffalo Wild Wings visit yesterday in Newport news Va. What a let down. Service sucked with an empty lunch crowd (we had to go track down our own waitress) and the wings were ok. I ordered them with the sauce farthest to the right (alledgedly super hot) but wasn't impressed with the fire level. I'll stick to Hooters....better scenery.
That sucks. The one in VA beach is great.

bayboy42

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
That sucks. The one in VA beach is great.
DO they have different sauces or are you just commenting on the service?

hsmith

imported post

Never much liked BWW, the wings were always dried out it seemed. Blacksburg always had a few quality bars that had good wing joints.

Fosters is alright up here, not hot enough for most, but Hard Times Cafe is another decent option.

rebeccaphillips

imported post

I do not see a problem with the General Manager asking you to leave your gun in the car where it will be out of reach from anyone who might attempt to grab it from you. Whether the person grabbing it is intoxicated or not is not the issue. It is the risk presented that is the issue. You seem to be dwelling on the fact that there might be intoxicated guests in the restaurant. How would you feel if Buffalo Wild Wings offered you protection while you eat by allowing their servers (people whom you don't know are or aren't licensed to carry a weapon) to carry guns. Wouldn't you feel that there is a posibility of a threat if someone (drunk or sober) reached out and grabbed the gun from the servers holster? I believe anyone would agree the restaurant is safer without the presence of the weapon. My main point is that the Manager didn't know if you were licensed and even if you were the possibility of a person grabbing the gun from you could pose a threat to the public. I eat in this restaurant regularily and I do not see any problems with overserving alcohol. The manager must have been presenting a hypothetical worst case senaro which might have taken place, although it seems unlikely. He was just watching out for the publics safety as he should be with all the shootings going on these days.

jegoodin

imported post

rebeccaphillips wrote:
I do not see a problem with the General Manager asking you to leave your gun in the car where it will be out of reach from anyone who might attempt to grab it from you. Whether the person grabbing it is intoxicated or not is not the issue. It is the risk presented that is the issue. You seem to be dwelling on the fact that there might be intoxicated guests in the restaurant. How would you feel if Buffalo Wild Wings offered you protection while you eat by allowing their servers (people whom you don't know are or aren't licensed to carry a weapon) to carry guns. Wouldn't you feel that there is a posibility of a threat if someone (drunk or sober) reached out and grabbed the gun from the servers holster? I believe anyone would agree the restaurant is safer without the presence of the weapon. My main point is that the Manager didn't know if you were licensed and even if you were the possibility of a person grabbing the gun from you could pose a threat to the public. I eat in this restaurant regularily and I do not see any problems with overserving alcohol. The manager must have been presenting a hypothetical worst case senaro which might have taken place, although it seems unlikely. He was just watching out for the publics safety as he should be with all the shootings going on these days.
If that is your belief then I'd say you don't come around here too often.