• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buffalo Wild Wings - Lynchburg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rebeccaphillips wrote:
I do not see a problem with the General Manager asking you to leave your gun in the car where it will be out of reach from anyone who might attempt to grab it from you. Whether the person grabbing it is intoxicated or not is not the issue. It is the risk presented that is the issue. You seem to be dwelling on the fact that there might be intoxicated guests in the restaurant. How would you feel if Buffalo Wild Wings offered you protection while you eat by allowing their servers (people whom you don't know are or aren't licensed to carry a weapon) to carry guns. Wouldn't you feel that there is a posibility of a threat if someone (drunk or sober) reached out and grabbed the gun from the servers holster? I believe anyone would agree the restaurant is safer without the presence of the weapon. My main point is that the Manager didn't know if you were licensed and even if you were the possibility of a person grabbing the gun from you could pose a threat to the public. I eat in this restaurant regularily and I do not see any problems with overserving alcohol. The manager must have been presenting a hypothetical worst case senaro which might have taken place, although it seems unlikely. He was just watching out for the publics safety as he should be with all the shootings going on these days.
1) Most people who open carry (OC) a sidearm do so in a retention holster, as do most police officers who OC, to prevent someone from just reaching out and taking the handgun. Many of us have and do train in retention techniques, specialized martial arts training on how to keep someone from taking our sidearm.

2) I don't care what kind of protection BWW offers me, I prefer the protection I offer myself when I take responibility for my own and my family's safety by being a legally armed citizen, every day, every where I can legally do so.

3) I would feel fine if the BWW or any other restaurant's wait staff carried firearms openly or concealed. That BWW would have the same faith in my fellow citizens to legally carry firearms as I do, and the same grounding in the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights as I do, would be refreshing and heartening and would garner them much more of my business than they receive now.

4) In VA there is no licensing requirement to carry a handgun openly.

5) I do not agree that this restaurant or any other is safer without weapons. I remember watching the news about "Luby's Massacre" when George Hennard drove his truck through the front wall of Luby's restaurant in Killeen, TX and then calmly got out and systematically executed 23 patrons and wounded 20 more. Due to TX law at the time, no citizen was legally armed to fight back. It was the most bloody massacre in modern American history prior to the VT killings. Just a bunch of people sitting around eating feeling oh so safe since none of them had guns and minutes later they cowered in fear waiting their turn for a madman to execute them since none of them had guns with which to fight back.

6) In restaurants that serve alcohol in VA you will see if someone is carrying a firearm even if they typically conceal it because VA law passed by the wisdom of your legislators and signed by your governor, requires OC only in such establishments. In most other parts of the country and most other places in VA, you will never know how many firearms are constantly surrounding you because most citizens who carry firearms do so concealed. I live in an area that requires concealed firearms all the time, even in restaurants that serve alcohol. I actually sat at dinner one evening with an acquaintance and several friends at which the acquaintance commented about how much she hates guns and is glad that she isn't around them. Almost everyone at the table besides her was concealed carrying (CC) a sidearm. The fact that she didn't see them did not put her at risk or make her safer than if we were OC, it only made her ignorant of reality.

7) I agree that public safety is an issue today for numerous reasons including the mass shootings/massacres at public places. However, nearly all of those mass shootings occur in gun free zones where citizens are not allowed to carry firearms. There is a reason for that. It is called a target rich environment. Mass shooters want victims who can't shoot back so they can prolong and excalate their body count. When mass shootings occur in areas with armed citizens they are not called mass shootings or massacres, they are called a justifiable homicide by a citizen(s) in defense of self or others.

8) Alcohol is a primary factor in the deaths of far more Americans than handguns (see the drunk driving death toll alone) not to mention the incredible number of physical assaults that occur in and around drinking establishments or other places when alcohol is involved. Over imbibing/serving alcohol is much more dangerous statistically than a law abiding citizen carrying a handgun for his/her own and family's defense.

buster81

imported post

rebeccaphillips wrote:
I do not see a problem with the General Manager asking you to leave your gun in the car where it will be out of reach from anyone who might attempt to grab it from you. Whether the person grabbing it is intoxicated or not is not the issue. It is the risk presented that is the issue. You seem to be dwelling on the fact that there might be intoxicated guests in the restaurant. How would you feel if Buffalo Wild Wings offered you protection while you eat by allowing their servers (people whom you don't know are or aren't licensed to carry a weapon) to carry guns. Wouldn't you feel that there is a posibility of a threat if someone (drunk or sober) reached out and grabbed the gun from the servers holster? I believe anyone would agree the restaurant is safer without the presence of the weapon. My main point is that the Manager didn't know if you were licensed and even if you were the possibility of a person grabbing the gun from you could pose a threat to the public. I eat in this restaurant regularily and I do not see any problems with overserving alcohol. The manager must have been presenting a hypothetical worst case senaro which might have taken place, although it seems unlikely. He was just watching out for the publics safety as he should be with all the shootings going on these days.
I suggest you take cover rebecca. That is a first post bullseye!

AbNo

imported post

IP Check, please?

rebeccaphillips wrote:
I do not see a problem with the General Manager asking you to leave your gun in the car where it will be out of reach from anyone who might attempt to grab it from you.

Well, what about someone seeing a person take a weapon outside, at the request of a manager, and stealing said gun from the glass box it is now in?

rebeccaphillips wrote:

How would you feel if Buffalo Wild Wings offered you protection while you eat by allowing their servers (people whom you don't know are or aren't licensed to carry a weapon) to carry guns.

Indifferent at best. This type of situation rarely helps in the parking lot.

rebeccaphillips wrote:

Wouldn't you feel that there is a posibility of a threat if someone (drunk or sober) reached out and grabbed the gun from the servers holster?

I guess that's why they make retention holsters.

rebeccaphillips wrote:
I believe anyone would agree the restaurant is safer without the presence of the weapon.

I believe everyone knows that using phrases such as "I believe everyone would agree", or "everyone knows", or "I think we can all just agree" is a sign of a weak argument.

Unless you have a genie's lamp in your back pocket, all the weapons in the world aren't going to go away overnight. We have laws that make it illegal to shoot people, and most places of business find any sort of assault, armed, or otherwise, as grounds for not wishing someone to remain on premises. Just tell someone that if you're ever in a store that's being robbed.

rebeccaphillips wrote:

My main point is that the Manager didn't know if you were licensed and even if you were the possibility of a person grabbing the gun from you could pose a threat to the public.

rebeccaphillips wrote:

I eat in this restaurant regularily and I do not see any problems with overserving alcohol. The manager must have been presenting a hypothetical worst case senaro which might have taken place, although it seems unlikely.

I USED to eat there, but I got tired of picking broken glass out of my hair after the first time some drunken idiot started throwing high-ball glasses across the building.

rebeccaphillips wrote:

He was just watching out for the publics safety as he should be with all the shootings going on these days.
I don't recall going to B-Dub's to have someone oversee my safety. I DO, however, recall going there to get something to eat.

Pop Quiz: What do the Jonesboro Westside Middle School, VA Tech, Notre Dame Elementary, that mall in Utah, Kirkwood city hall, Louisiana Tech, and Ecole Polytechnique college all have in common?

Someone banned guns as a way of watching out for the public's safety. You know, with all the shootings that went on those days.

darthmord

imported post

rebeccaphillips wrote:

I have to wonder about the fear of gun related deaths. I mean, drinking and driving kills just as effectively.

Think about that for a moment. To shoot someone with a gun requires overcoming certain inhibitions. It's not taken lightly. To drink and drive only requires bad judgement.

I would truly be more worried about the drunks driving than people open carrying. You normally don't find the OC folks drinking if they are OC. On that note, I believe OC and drinking is illegal. I'd have to go check to confirm that. Even if it isn't, good sense indicates (to me at least) you don't want to have a gun if you have been consuming something that impairs judgement.

Good luck with your 1st post.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Rebecca thanks for your post. While you have a right to voice your opinion, I certainly do not have to agree with it and I certainly don't. Yes the general manager was well within his bounds to ask me to leave my firearm in my car and it is within my limits to never eat at this BWW again, which I haven't and I won't not even if they had a small army to "protect" their guests. I make a habit of not giving my money to businesses that ask me to part with one of my best means of self defense. When the general manager expressed that he thought that his restaurant was too dangerous for me to be carrying a weapon you had best believe that I know ifa place is too dangerous for me to have a weapon then it is certainly too dangerous to enter without one. I won't put my life or the life of my friends and family in a position where they are without the defensive tools they would use to protect their own life, especially not for food that I could get many other places that don't try to disarm me.

What you may or may not know is that legally only you and I are responsible for our own safety, not police as found by the U.S. Supreme Court and certainly not some restaurant's security guards therefore I will not rely on either as means of protection and I would recommend that neither should you if you think your own life and health have value. When I carry my firearm openly it is always carried in a holster that would prevent someone from just easily reaching down and pulling it out and using it against me or someone else. This type of holster also buys me a bit of reaction time to grab my knife or pepper spray to use it against whoever would be bold enough to try to disarm an armed man who has a strong desire to keep his firearm fromunintended hands.

As you have been made aware there is no license needed to openly carry a holstered firearm in most places in our Commonwealth. I regularly eat in various restaurants here in Lynchburg while openly armed and the only place that I have had an issue is at BWW. On the rare occasion that I see other restaurant guests also openly armed I am generallycomforted withtheir presence with the understanding that they too are likely someone who takes their own life and well-being seriously. Knowing that the management at the Lynchburg BWW does not accept me carrying the tools to protect my own life and well-being and also being aware of the unsafe environment that having rowdy drunks around me presents I will not be returning to BWW. You, however, are more than welcome to return as much as you like.

ODA 226

imported post

rebeccaphillips wrote:
My main point is that the Manager didn't know if you were licensed and even if you were the possibility of a person grabbing the gun from you could pose a threat to the public.

There is no licensing requirement to Open Carry in the Commonwealth of Virginia!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
He/she is a hit and run troll.
+1

Wonder to which chapter of MaMaa or MMM she belongs. :lol:

Yata hey
I expected that is the case when I replied last night. However, just in case it is someone who really believes what s/he said and comes back to read the responses, I figured there was no harm in a measured, intelligent response to the post.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rebeccaphillips wrote:
For every hypothetical situation he can come up with, there are hundreds of actual cases where guns either helped or would have helped.

He has the right to ask us to leave, just as we have the right to not spend any money there ever again, and let our friends know to do the same.

I find it LAUGHABLE that a bar manager worries about guns around people who drink - when most of those people who came there DROVE. You may want to look up the statistics on drunk driving deaths in this country. Here is a small hint - it is several orders of magnitude larger than the number of people killed by grabbed guns being open carried in bars and restaurants.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Actually preparing well thought responses is very good practice. We should thank rebeccaphillips for the opportunity to hone our skills. :lol:

Yata hey