• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws for OC

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, and love the forums. I found this site by way of opencarry.org, after watching Nightline last night. This site is great. I'm getting ready to purchase a gun, and new to carrying (not new to guns, my dad is a collector). I'm still a little unsure about some of the laws. I've tried to read up on a few, but the legal jargon gets me a little confused. While I'll be working towards getting a CHL, I have a few questions related to N. Carolina OC:

1. Are you allowed to OC in places like Wal-Mart? I notice some places have stickers on the doors that state "No weapons, concealed or otherwise." Are you allowed to OC if they don't have the warning on the door.

2. I read somewhere that you aren't allowed to OC in an establishment with an ABC (liquor) license? Would that be considered a bar, or would that also be considered somewhere like Pizza Hut that serves beer?

Thank you for you time and I look forward to seeing some of my fellow OC'ers in the Raleigh?Cary area! ;)

EDIT-I also noticed where someone on the site mentioned about OC in Cary, and how they don't allow it? Does anyone know of any specific laws in Cary, NC?

Panos1296

imported post

Answers:

1. Places like Wal-Mart are private property. The property owner has his/her own rules concerning weapons. I assume that if a sign is NOT posted, that weapons are allowed. However, even if a sign is not posted, you should comply if you are asked to leave or put your gun in the car. You are a guest on THEIR property.

2. You are never allowed to carry weapons (concealed or otherwise) where alcohol is sold AND consumed.

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

Thank you for your response. As I continue reading the forums, I'm learning more. I guess my only other question would be OC in Cary, NC. Someone mentioned the Cary Police enforcing "illegally restricting OC" in Cary? Any help would be appreciated, since I live in Cary...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OpenCarry.org or OCDO as we call it! We've beat the WalMart issue to death here in the past and it comes up once a week or so.

Panos is correct, but the managers or other store employees don't own the property, WalMart corporate does and theircorporate policy specifically states that they honor the laws of that state. Simple.

Sadly we constantly find managers,asst. mgrs, store security and even the occasional greeterthat either don't know that, thinksthe employee "no firearms policy" is applicable to customersor are personally against the idea and will lie to you to keep you from OC'ing in "their" store. Corporate thinks otherwise.

NC has complete state preemption of posession of firearms except:

-In public-owned buildings
-On the grounds or parking areas of those buildings
-In public parks or recreation areas

That said, OC in Wally-World is just fine, but you might want to be prepared for a manager or asst that doesn't know the law or the policy and will ask you to leave. If you are,get their names andleave no questions asked. If they don't give names, just leave. A call/letter to corporate will identify them, get them straightened out and retrained on corporate policy.

You might want to take a look at the OCDO North Carolina info page:
http://www.opencarry.org/nc.html

And browse around the North Carolina sub-forum:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/

Any questions, just ask and welcome!