• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you Need to have that Gun?

Virginiaplanter

imported post

I am sure for those of us who have been accosted by people for open carrying you may hear a version of that line. While I was one of the People at the Champps incident a few years back, I have also heard someone make a smart remark about my gun while carrying in a restaurant.

So, when somebody says why do you need that gun? Just reply, "Oh, it's not a need, it's a Right!" Or if they remark about the size of your gun just say "The Supreme Court Loves my gun and open carrying, thank you for noticing."

"The ancient Poets, in their elegant manner of Expression have made a kind of Being of Necessity, and tell us that the Gods themselves are obliged to Yield to her." -George Mason

Today the gods yielded to us and fulfilled our necessity in Virginia law to protect our rights in the Virginia Courts through declaratory and injunctive relief which was not previously possible.

The Right of the People

Glock27Bill

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
I am sure for those of us who have been accosted by people for open carrying you may hear a version of that line. While I was one of the People at the Champps incident a few years back, I have also heard someone make a smart remark about my gun while carrying in a restaurant.

So, when somebody says why do you need that gun? Just reply, "Oh, it's not a need, it's a Right!" Or if they remark about the size of your gun just say "The Supreme Court Loves my gun and open carrying, thank you for noticing."

"The ancient Poets, in their elegant manner of Expression have made a kind of Being of Necessity, and tell us that the Gods themselves are obliged to Yield to her." -George Mason

Today the gods yielded to us and fulfilled our necessity in Virginia law to protect our rights in the Virginia Courts through declaratory and injunctive relief which was not previously possible.

The Right of the People

I read the link and am confused.

Does the ruling remove legal risk while carryng on the toll road, or does it merely pave the way to seek legal relief?

Virginiaplanter

imported post

It only paves the way to seek a redress of grievances that the government is violating your constitutional right and cannot be blocked by sovereign immunity. Yesterday's ruling by the U.S. Supreme court was the final element needed to file suits for violations of the Virginia Constitution under Article I, Section 13. This is so because under the doctrine of co-extensive protections which the Virginia court follows, the right under the Virginia constitution had been the same as under the Federal government, and seen as a collective right under 4th Circuit case law. A person cannot bring suit to enforce their individual rights when the court does not recognize the individual right to even exist. Now that has all changed and suits for violations of the Virginia Constitution may go forward because Article I, Sect. 13, is a self-executing provision that prohibits the government from passing laws, regulations or ordinances that violate the right of the people (individuals) to keep and bear arms.

As a side note, yesterday's ruling will probably also have an impact on the upcoming AG's opinion on Open Carry in State Parks. The opinion yesterday not only stated an individual right but it cited several state cases that open carry is the right protected by the constitution.

MoparGuy

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Perhaps the patented reply should be ....

Why dont YOU have a gun?

Either that, or "Because I couldn't find a cop small enough to fit onto my belt", or "Because I couldn't find a holsterbig enough tofit a cop into."

asbrand

imported post

Years ago, I stole this response from packing.org:

"Why do I carry a gun? Well, I tried carrying a cop...but he was heavy, and it annoyed him..."

...when asked if it is loaded...

"Well, of course it is loaded. Wouldn't make a very effective throwing weapon, now would it?"

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've said many times "Because I can't carry a cop."

Most recently, when asked why I carry a gun, I replied that the average 911 response time was over 7 minutes. I asked the questioner if she felt comfortable with that.

I got her thinking. She wasn't negative in the first place, but I could tell this response hit home.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

If I don't have much time I just say "It's for my job". If they specifically ask if I am law enforcement, I say no of course. My job is to protect my life and family.

Sometimes Brooke answers.. She point to my firearm and says "one thousand dollars" then points to herself and says "priceless" (thats my favorite one).

She laughs outloud when people ask if I have a permit for it and they ask why shes laughing and in her best "yer a dumba$$ tone" she say's "you don't need a permit to carry a gun!"

scarletwahoo

imported post

ed wrote:
Sometimes Brooke answers.. She point to my firearm and says "one tousand dollars" then points to herself and says "priceless" (thats my favorite one).

She laughs outloud when people ask if I have a permit for it and they ask why shes laughing and in her best "yer a dumba$$ tone" she say's "you don't need a permit to carry a gun!"
Haha, those two answers are great. Good answer for the 'do you have a permit' type questions is 'Yes, the second amendment.'

MoparGuy

imported post

ed wrote:
If I don't have much time I just say "It's for my job". If they specifically ask if I am law enforcement, I say no of course. My job is to protect my life and family.

Sometimes Brooke answers.. She point to my firearm and says "one tousand dollars" then points to herself and says "priceless" (thats my favorite one).

It sounds as though you've taught Brooke well.

dbc3804

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Even if you could carry a cop, who would want to? You'd have to keep him fed and watered, and stop for bathroom breaks, what a hassle.
And the price of doughnuts has really gone up lately.:D

DocDaddy

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Even if you could carry a cop, who would want to? You'd have to keep him fed and watered, and stop for bathroom breaks, what a hassle.
Plus... you would also have to house him everynight, the extra costs of water and electricity,and the greatest cost would be the amount of Red Bull you would have to make him drink to stay alert 24 hours a day!!! :celebrate

Tomahawk

imported post

On a more serious note: it is theoretically possible to "carry a cop". You can do it through technology, with lots of surveilance and so forth.

It's called a "police state" and it's very popular among gun-banners and nanny-staters. Great Britain is doing their level best to make it work right now. Thye may eventaully succeed, and become like Japan, where weapons are banned and there is no street crime, enforced by yakuza thugs, or more likely, by intense fear of a state apparatus which respects no rights and presumes no innocence.

That's what it would really mean to "carry a cop", and I don't want any part of it. No Patriot Act, no wiretaps, no Homeland Security, no gun bans, no surveilance, and no disabling of rights, none of it. I'll take liberty and along with my friends and family we'll take care of our own personal protection, thank you very much.

bill_wv

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote
I read the link and am confused.

Does the ruling remove legal risk while carryng on the toll road, or does it merely pave the way to seek legal relief?

This is something new to me - what's the legal risk in carrying on the toll road (I assume we're talking about 267/Dulles Greenway)? I haven't heard of this yet - probably because I haven't been paying attention.