• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you Need to have that Gun?

bill_wv

imported post

Thank you, gentlemen. In reading it over again, it comes off quite a bit more stand-offish than I would like, but when I wrote it I was sort of reeling from some of the animosity and ignorance (and I choose that word carefully, meaning to refer to people who are not stupid, but just misinformed) I'd recently received from people I've known for a while. It was very off-putting, and I think the tone of the piece reflects that. In a sense I was firing back at some of the attitude that had been coming my way.

Still, I stand by everything I said. But in the future I'd like to write another one that has a cooler, more even tone to it.

(Edited to fix a typo)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Perhaps the patented reply should be ....

Why dont YOU have a gun?

"Because calling 911 is just having one delivered to my location." :D
Laff -- I like it!

I have only been asked this a few times. The last time I answered with blunt honestly:

I survived the same type of cancer that killed my little brother. It caused me to realize how important my life and the lives of my loved ones are to me and I decided to be prepared at any moment to defend and secure those lives.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
On a more serious note: it is theoretically possible to "carry a cop". You can do it through technology, with lots of surveilance and so forth.

It's called a "police state" and it's very popular among gun-banners and nanny-staters. Great Britain is doing their level best to make it work right now. Thye may eventaully succeed, and become like Japan, where weapons are banned and there is no street crime, enforced by yakuza thugs, or more likely, by intense fear of a state apparatus which respects no rights and presumes no innocence.

That's what it would really mean to "carry a cop", and I don't want any part of it. No Patriot Act, no wiretaps, no Homeland Security, no gun bans, no surveilance, and no disabling of rights, none of it. I'll take liberty and along with my friends and family we'll take care of our own personal protection, thank you very much.
Even with technology and surveillance, you get the post-crime benefits of a police presence, with none of the pre-crime (read: protection) efforts one might desire.

As even many children say: "I'd rather do it myself."

Thundar

imported post

Why do you Need to have that Gun?

Because I have read the wisdom of Odin which says:

Don't leave your

weapons behind

when you travel

in the open field,

for you never know

when on

the distant road

you may suddenly need

your spear.

Tomahawk

imported post

Tess wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
On a more serious note: it is theoretically possible to "carry a cop". You can do it through technology, with lots of surveilance and so forth.

It's called a "police state" and it's very popular among gun-banners and nanny-staters. Great Britain is doing their level best to make it work right now. Thye may eventaully succeed, and become like Japan, where weapons are banned and there is no street crime, enforced by yakuza thugs, or more likely, by intense fear of a state apparatus which respects no rights and presumes no innocence.

That's what it would really mean to "carry a cop", and I don't want any part of it. No Patriot Act, no wiretaps, no Homeland Security, no gun bans, no surveilance, and no disabling of rights, none of it. I'll take liberty and along with my friends and family we'll take care of our own personal protection, thank you very much.
Even with technology and surveillance, you get the post-crime benefits of a police presence, with none of the pre-crime (read: protection) efforts one might desire.

If you have enough surveilance and enough processing power, you can theoretically predict who is likely to commit crime and stop it ahead of time. If this was possible, you wouldn't need a gun because Big Brother would protect you from the Bad Man.

Who wouldn't be against stopping crime? Come, carry Big Brother and throw away your guns!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Because my RPG kept tangling in my seat belt.

Because the police department is mad at me and won't come if I need help. :D

Virginiaplanter

imported post

"Because it's the only thing that will shoot the 7,000 rounds of ammunition I have at home."