Thread: Is my gun to big?

Post imported post

I have a beretta pietro .32. It seems little but I have problems concealing it. I am 5'7" 160lbs. Any suggestions on how to hide it well and where to hide it. Or would I be better off getting something smaller?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

You are doing it wrong, you are supposed to be open carrying.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    You are doing it wrong, you are supposed to be open carrying.
    ditto...

get a smaller one for CC, and then what your like best for OC.

I'm a bit bigger than you 180 5'9", I still conceal my Sig 220 but sometimes its uncomfortable. I'm going to consider a compact Hi Point to conceal, inexpensive and will do the job just fine.

Post imported post

... ...

wtf.

I know people smaller than you who can CC a Glock 19.

You're doing it wrong.

Post imported post

Haven't been carrying for very long, but I have been carry a sig p226 with no problems at all (6ft1 185lbs). You might need to look into getting some shirts just for cc or you need to find a better holster + belt.

I found for me personally that the further I move it from 3 towards 6 the more it hugs to my body shape. When I carry at 5:30 - 6 it completely dissapears even in a t shirt.

Post imported post

How are you carrying it now? What type of holster, what type of clothing and in what manner are you carrying?
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Not to nit-pick, but isn't this a site about open carry, not about how to conceal a handgun?

Anyhow, having a gun that you can't conceal is a good reason to OC. At least that's the excuse I'll use if I get questioned as to why I'm OCing a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum with 7.5" bbl. Just can't seem to conceal it...

Post imported post

It is primarily about OC but it also about our right to carry. There are many of us on the forum who regularly CC because of circumstance or legality and I don't think that discussing those matters here in any way interferes with the primary mission of the forum unless it became the predominate discussion. Just my $.02.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

jdgatliff wrote:
    I have a beretta pietro .32. It seems little but I have problems concealing it. I am 5'7" 160lbs. Any suggestions on how to hide it well and where to hide it. Or would I be better off getting something smaller?
    When I CC I go with the smallest thing possible either a Kel-Tec 32 or 380. My advice, get one of these or the New Ruger 380 for CC. For OC the sky is the limit but you'll find lighter is of course more comfortable. I have GLOCKs 17, 23, and a 26 and I still OC the 26 with pinky extension because of it's size and wait.

Post imported post

jdgatliff wrote:
    You'll want to consult http://usacarry.com on this topic. Not saying that concealed carry can't be discussed here, but you'll find that on this site, OC rules the day. You'll get all the answers you need to your concealed carry questions at USA Carry. By the way, welcome to OCDO!

State Researcher

Post imported post

jdgatliff wrote:
    Well I dunno why people are being so stupid about not answeringa concealed carry question, lol. Anyway I've never held a Pietro, but I'm looking at some pics online and she looks a little bit smaller than a standard "service size" handgun. If that's the case, concealment is going to depend both on your holster AND your clothing. Smaller handguns can be concealed without a lot of regard to your clothing,while most large handguns require a cover garment. You're right in the middle. An inside-the-waistband holster positioned just behind your hipmay work well for you with a loose, untucked shirt. A shoulder holster would easily conceal the Pietro under a light jacket. A holster shirt (check out the 5.11 tactical website) could be a good option as well. While the draw is not as fast, it efficiently conceals the handgun under a sweatshirt or loose button-up shirt. You also have the option of "off body" carry, like in some sort of bag or briefcase, all though you shouldn't have to resort to that with the Pietro.

Would a smaller handgun conceal more easily? Probably. I normally carry a Kel-Tec P3AT concealed. The .380 is probably the smallest caliber I would carry, though, and even then I'd rather have something larger. This is why I normally carry a .40 caliber full-sized handgun openly on my belt.

You definitely should consider open carry since you are on an open carry site and all, BUT there is NOTHING WRONG with carrying concealed.

Post imported post

I have no issue with answering the question, I just don't know how to answer it in that I don't know what to suggest he does differently without knowing how he is carrying now. Hence, my questions above as to the OP's current methods so we can help diagnose a solution.

State Researcher

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    I have no issue with answering the question, I just don't know how to answer it in that I don't know what to suggest he does differently without knowing how he is carrying now. Hence, my questions above as to the OP's current methods so we can help diagnose a solution.
    Oh I wasn't talking about you lol.

Another possibility is the Smart Carry. I never thought it was much to consider, but just today I was at the range and the guy who works there says to me "so I'm armed with a .45 and a 10 rd clip. Guess where it is!" lol. I honestly couldn't see it, but with one quick movement he slipped the .45 out of the front of his pants. It was pretty impressive!

Post imported post

When I get my CCP, I will be using a Smartcarry, and either a j frame S&W or a small auto in 9mm. In addition to my OCed XD9 Tactical of course.

Post imported post

With a baggy shirt, a slightly bigger waistband, as in at least a couple sizes bigger, and an IWB holster, you can conceal most any fighting size handgun all year long in any climate.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

jdgatliff wrote:
    I'm 5'6" 165 lbs (ok, maybe 175) and carry a full size 1911 in a Fobus under a loose shirt or vest. Unfortunately here in NC you run the risk of arrest for "brandishing" if you open carry.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Colt1991 wrote:
    jdgatliff wrote:
    I'm 5'6" 165 lbs (ok, maybe 175) and carry a full size 1911 in a Fobus under a loose shirt or vest. Unfortunately here in NC you run the risk of arrest for "brandishing" if you open carry.
    Excuse me? You're about as wrong as can be. Open carry is absolutely legal in NC, and there are no laws that can be even wronglyinterpreted to make it illegal. I carry every day here in NC, as do many many other guys and gals, some of whom are members of this forum. In fact, I locked horns with two local PD just last week and I'm still alive and kicking with a clean record. Please, wear your handgun proudly on your hip. There's no reason to hide it.

Post imported post

I don't think the thread OP is coming back ....

Post imported post

Drive by posting?

Post imported post

Get something better than a .32 first of all, and secondly get a smaller gun. While you are stuck with that .32, I would use nothing but FMJs. Hollow points in a .32 aren't going to penetrate enough at all and they wont expand that well anyway. A lot of them simply don't expand due to the pathetic velocities! If they do expand well, they may not penetrate enough for it to matter much (Speer 60gr Gold Dot, 843 ± 0.500 ft/sec impact velocity, 7.2 ± 0.031" penetration, 0.500 ± 0.0005" average diameter). I'd use FMJ's all day long in that .32 man. They'll at least get over 12" of penetration, but they still wont hit hard of course. Get a better caliber! Honestly a 9mm should be the same price or cheaper to shoot anyway. I get a box of 100rds of target ammo for $18. Law Enforcement ammo is $15-$20 for 50 rounds or +P or +P+. The fastest 9mm load available (115gr, 1415fps and 511ft.lb.) is $27/50rds. Also, look at the wounding effect and overall performance of this .32 in ballistics gelatin and compare it with the 9mm Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot I linked below the next paragraph.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Var32ACP.html

I recommend the S&W 642 Airweight (.38 Special +P) with a Clip Draw for the ultimate in 24/7 "concealability." The 642 can be found for under $400 new and the clip draw is $20. That's all you'd need and you've got one of the best 24/7 carry guns available. The Glock 26 (9mm) is also excellent for concealing but you need a holster. A Glock 26 can be found for under $500 new. I love my Glock 26 and I am a HUGE fan of the 9mm. It is very potent. This is what a 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot will do when fired out of a Glock 26.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/124gr%20...old%20Dot.html

Yes, the penetration is slightly less than optimal, but it is still acceptable and look at that wound channel!!! This is the reason I always recommend Double Tap's Gold Dot loads. You get the same bullet at significantly higher velocity, so it hits harder and goes a little bit further. Also note that if this round had been fired out of a Glock 19 or 17 it would have probably reached the 12" "minimum" penetration.

I would suggest carrying IWB if you're really thin like me (5'11" and 150lbs). I carry my S&W using the Clip Draw (It's not in a holster and it draws quickly and easily) at 1 o'clock IWB always. If you got a Glock 26 you can carry that IWB using a tight fitting non-bulky holster of some sort.

Honestly, 9mm ammo is probably cheaper than .32 ammo anyway and WAY outperforms it. The 9mm is similar in performance to a .40S&W and a .45ACP, and nearly half the cost for target ammo and still a good 20% cheaper for self defense and law enforcement loads. It's one of the cheapest handgun calibers available.