• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is my gun to big?

jdgatliff

imported post

I have a beretta pietro .32. It seems little but I have problems concealing it. I am 5'7" 160lbs. Any suggestions on how to hide it well and where to hide it. Or would I be better off getting something smaller?

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
You are doing it wrong, you are supposed to be open carrying.:D

ditto...

get a smaller one for CC, and then what your like best for OC.

I'm a bit bigger than you 180 5'9", I still conceal my Sig 220 but sometimes its uncomfortable. I'm going to consider a compact Hi Point to conceal, inexpensive and will do the job just fine.

David.Car

imported post

Haven't been carrying for very long, but I have been carry a sig p226 with no problems at all (6ft1 185lbs). You might need to look into getting some shirts just for cc or you need to find a better holster + belt.

I found for me personally that the further I move it from 3 towards 6 the more it hugs to my body shape. When I carry at 5:30 - 6 it completely dissapears even in a t shirt.

imperialism2024

imported post

Not to nit-pick, but isn't this a site about open carry, not about how to conceal a handgun?

Anyhow, having a gun that you can't conceal is a good reason to OC. At least that's the excuse I'll use if I get questioned as to why I'm OCing a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum with 7.5" bbl. Just can't seem to conceal it... :D

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It is primarily about OC but it also about our right to carry. There are many of us on the forum who regularly CC because of circumstance or legality and I don't think that discussing those matters here in any way interferes with the primary mission of the forum unless it became the predominate discussion. Just my $.02.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

jdgatliff wrote:
I have a beretta pietro .32. It seems little but I have problems concealing it. I am 5'7" 160lbs. Any suggestions on how to hide it well and where to hide it. Or would I be better off getting something smaller?
When I CC I go with the smallest thing possible either a Kel-Tec 32 or 380. My advice, get one of these or the New Ruger 380 for CC. For OC the sky is the limit but you'll find lighter is of course more comfortable. I have GLOCKs 17, 23, and a 26 and I still OC the 26 with pinky extension because of it's size and wait.

tattedupboy

imported post

jdgatliff wrote:
You'll want to consult http://usacarry.com on this topic. Not saying that concealed carry can't be discussed here, but you'll find that on this site, OC rules the day. You'll get all the answers you need to your concealed carry questions at USA Carry. By the way, welcome to OCDO!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

jdgatliff wrote:

Well I dunno why people are being so stupid about not answeringa concealed carry question, lol. Anyway I've never held a Pietro, but I'm looking at some pics online and she looks a little bit smaller than a standard "service size" handgun. If that's the case, concealment is going to depend both on your holster AND your clothing. Smaller handguns can be concealed without a lot of regard to your clothing,while most large handguns require a cover garment. You're right in the middle. An inside-the-waistband holster positioned just behind your hipmay work well for you with a loose, untucked shirt. A shoulder holster would easily conceal the Pietro under a light jacket. A holster shirt (check out the 5.11 tactical website) could be a good option as well. While the draw is not as fast, it efficiently conceals the handgun under a sweatshirt or loose button-up shirt. You also have the option of "off body" carry, like in some sort of bag or briefcase, all though you shouldn't have to resort to that with the Pietro.

Would a smaller handgun conceal more easily? Probably. I normally carry a Kel-Tec P3AT concealed. The .380 is probably the smallest caliber I would carry, though, and even then I'd rather have something larger. This is why I normally carry a .40 caliber full-sized handgun openly on my belt.

You definitely should consider open carry :)since you are on an open carry site and all, BUT there is NOTHING WRONG with carrying concealed.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have no issue with answering the question, I just don't know how to answer it in that I don't know what to suggest he does differently without knowing how he is carrying now. Hence, my questions above as to the OP's current methods so we can help diagnose a solution.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I have no issue with answering the question, I just don't know how to answer it in that I don't know what to suggest he does differently without knowing how he is carrying now. Hence, my questions above as to the OP's current methods so we can help diagnose a solution.

Oh I wasn't talking about you lol.

Another possibility is the Smart Carry. I never thought it was much to consider, but just today I was at the range and the guy who works there says to me "so I'm armed with a .45 and a 10 rd clip. Guess where it is!" lol. I honestly couldn't see it, but with one quick movement he slipped the .45 out of the front of his pants. It was pretty impressive!

thx997303

imported post

When I get my CCP, I will be using a Smartcarry, and either a j frame S&W or a small auto in 9mm. In addition to my OCed XD9 Tactical of course.

Michigander

imported post

With a baggy shirt, a slightly bigger waistband, as in at least a couple sizes bigger, and an IWB holster, you can conceal most any fighting size handgun all year long in any climate.

Colt1991

imported post

jdgatliff wrote:
I'm 5'6" 165 lbs (ok, maybe 175) and carry a full size 1911 in a Fobus under a loose shirt or vest. Unfortunately here in NC you run the risk of arrest for "brandishing" if you open carry.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Colt1991 wrote:
jdgatliff wrote:
I'm 5'6" 165 lbs (ok, maybe 175) and carry a full size 1911 in a Fobus under a loose shirt or vest. Unfortunately here in NC you run the risk of arrest for "brandishing" if you open carry.
Excuse me? You're about as wrong as can be. Open carry is absolutely legal in NC, and there are no laws that can be even wronglyinterpreted to make it illegal. I carry every day here in NC, as do many many other guys and gals, some of whom are members of this forum. In fact, I locked horns with two local PD just last week and I'm still alive and kicking with a clean record. Please, wear your handgun proudly on your hip. There's no reason to hide it.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Not to nit-pick, but isn't this a site about open carry, not about how to conceal a handgun?

Anyhow, having a gun that you can't conceal is a good reason to OC. At least that's the excuse I'll use if I get questioned as to why I'm OCing a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum with 7.5" bbl. Just can't seem to conceal it... :D

A man of good taste. The real "peace maker' you have, lol. I am about 6 feet ,150-155 pounds and I carry a Ruger P90 conceiled just fine. As far as what size it is...its one of the biggest carry guns around. Only ones I see as "bulky" is some 1911's, FNP-45, and of course the D Eagle(Seriously have seen someone carry one of these things..and about 5 foot 5, 160 pounds!!LOL). I also open carry this gun after finding the "right holster". Ruger all the way!!

P.S. Still like S&W and some Taurus revolvers...just not the same though