• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safety ON or OFF??

Bullbuster

imported post

I was asked the other day by a friend if I keep my safety on or off while I carry. I keep it on for my own reasons. However I practice switching it off as part of my draw routine.

I was just wondering how ya'll prefer to carry. I know that safety's vary depending on the make and model with revolvers not having one. I have yet to see this topic and figured it may be one on many folks minds.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

just out of habit, if its got a safety its on. Like you the safety comes right off during draw/sighting

but I carry a Sig that does not have a safety

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

1911-on.
Berreta, Ruger, off mostly.
CZ-75 on in single action mode, off when not such.
Glock- whats a safety.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

My SW99 and P3AT do not have safeties. Because of that, when I carry my PPK/s, the safety bothers me. I have spoken to some that carry their PPKs with their safety off, and I've considered it. The thing I'm worried about is that, with the safety off, there's a possibility of the hammer being pulled back by clothing or bumping into something. When I am carryinga loaded long gun, I always keep their safeties on. This is because the trigger is not covered by a holster.

It seems to me that firearms that have manual safeties are designed that way, and should be carried with the safety on. Firearms without manual safeties obviously don't need them, and they don't make me uncomfortable.

Legba

imported post

At work, safety off. While out and abouthunting, say, on.

A not-entirely-unrelated observation: a county sheriff deputy came in the shop and sold me a gun recently. He handed it to me fully loaded, safety off. Eek.

-ljp

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I generally carry a revolver with no safety.

On semi-autos with a safety, the safety is generally off but as part of the draw I would do "desafety" motion anyway just to make sure it wasn't accidentally engaged.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

If I carry my S&W 1911, I start out with the safety on but due to getting in and out of my vehicle the safety usually ends up in the off position. The true safety is betweenthe ears.When carrying my Glock I don't have to worry about any manual safeties.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

In the words of the actor from Black Hawk down: "This here's my safety" (as he holds up his index finger)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

johnnyb wrote:
no round in the chamber.

but if there was definatly safety on.

thats whats nice about the 1911. lots of safety and single action.
You carry with no round in the chamber? :banghead:

FogRider

imported post

No safety on my XD45 and GP100. I recently started carrying a 1911, and habit carried over from my XD means about half the time I don't have the safety on.