Thread: Open Carry on Campus

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

Didn't find this topic in a search, so thought I'd start one up.

Any idea about what statutes may/may not apply to open carrying on college campuses and/or campus buildings?

Post imported post

If it's a government run college, like the university or some of the tech schools, possibly 941.235 (Carrying firearm in public building) may apply to the inside of the building.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

pkbites wrote:
    If it's a government run college, like the university or some of the tech schools, possibly 941.235 (Carrying firearm in public building) may apply to the inside of the building.

That was my line of thinking as well, legal to carry "on campus" but not into the buildings.

And to clarify, YES I am asking about the UW and tech colleges.

edited for grammar (my like of) to (my line of)

Post imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
    pkbites wrote:

That was my line of thinking as well, legal to carry "on campus" but not into the buildings.

And to clarify, YES I am asking about the UW and tech colleges.

edited for grammar (my like of) to (my line of)
    Most colleges feel they have the right to prohibit weapons under threats of expulsion / termination of employment.

(Phrased this way because I don't agree with the policy, but the policies are out there )

- What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Post imported post

Despite opencarry.org's map which indicates carrying "on campus" is prohibited by statute in Wisconsin (I'm still waiting for them to back that up.) I do not believe there IS in fact any statutory prohibition. Government owned campuses DO have the same restriction regarding carrying a gun into a goverment building as applies to all other government buildings. Such a prohibition of course does not apply to a private college. (Although, as an example, Edgewood College in Madison also contains Edgewood High School on the same grounds, so there's a consideration of the weapons on school grounds prohibition in that case.) Of course if you are an employee or a student of either a public or private college there are other means of control that the campus administrations has over you. I am not aware of any law or rule that would prohibit one from merely walking around outdoors while carrying a firearm through, say, a University of Wisconsin campus. On a private college, I suppose they could choose not to allow any individual they did not want on their campus, just as anyone who owns private property could do.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"