• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on Campus

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Didn't find this topic in a search, so thought I'd start one up.

Any idea about what statutes may/may not apply to open carrying on college campuses and/or campus buildings?

pkbites

imported post

If it's a government run college, like the university or some of the tech schools, possibly 941.235 (Carrying firearm in public building) may apply to the inside of the building.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pkbites wrote:
If it's a government run college, like the university or some of the tech schools, possibly 941.235 (Carrying firearm in public building) may apply to the inside of the building.

That was my line of thinking as well, legal to carry "on campus" but not into the buildings.

And to clarify, YES I am asking about the UW and tech colleges.

edited for grammar (my like of) to (my line of)

Teej

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
pkbites wrote:

That was my line of thinking as well, legal to carry "on campus" but not into the buildings.

And to clarify, YES I am asking about the UW and tech colleges.

edited for grammar (my like of) to (my line of)
Most colleges feel they have the right to prohibit weapons under threats of expulsion / termination of employment.

(Phrased this way because I don't agree with the policy, but the policies are out there )

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Despite opencarry.org's map which indicates carrying "on campus" is prohibited by statute in Wisconsin (I'm still waiting for them to back that up.) I do not believe there IS in fact any statutory prohibition. Government owned campuses DO have the same restriction regarding carrying a gun into a goverment building as applies to all other government buildings. Such a prohibition of course does not apply to a private college. (Although, as an example, Edgewood College in Madison also contains Edgewood High School on the same grounds, so there's a consideration of the weapons on school grounds prohibition in that case.) Of course if you are an employee or a student of either a public or private college there are other means of control that the campus administrations has over you. I am not aware of any law or rule that would prohibit one from merely walking around outdoors while carrying a firearm through, say, a University of Wisconsin campus. On a private college, I suppose they could choose not to allow any individual they did not want on their campus, just as anyone who owns private property could do.