• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Story in the RJ

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Lve2fsh wrote:
This was in the RJ this morning.

Court decision may not affect Nevada

Other states have more gun restrictions

The city of North Las Vegas has an ordinance making it a misdemeanor to have a firearm in a motor vehicle.

North Las Vegas police spokesman Mark Hoyt said Thursday's ruling wouldn't affect the ordinance. "We have a problem in the valley with guns, and this is our way of trying to deal with it," Hoyt said.

Contact reporter Lawrence Mower at lmower@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0440

I thought this was taken care of back in October?
Link? Also, please make titles of threads descriptive.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It *WAS* taken care of, as confirmed by the mayor of North Las Vegas. Their illegal ordinance remains on the books, but is unenforceable, not because of the Supreme Court ruling, but because of the Nevada statewide preemption.

Tim

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I contacted Lawrence Mower by e-mail.

Mr. Lawrence Mower,

You reported recently a quote from Mark Hoyt, a spokesman for the North Las Vegas Police, saying that rules concerning firearms in vehicles will remain in place. While the Supreme Court ruling indeed has no effect on this, Hoyt is wrong about being able to legally enforce the ordinance. The law is already invalid because Nevada passed state preemption of firearm laws a while back, making it illegal for localities to pass their own firearm laws. Any arrest they made in North Las Vegas for merely having a firearm in a vehicle would be an illegal arrest and one could not be convicted of violating the law.

Here are the state preemption laws: NRS 268.418 NRS 244.364

In Nevada anyone over the age of 18 may have a firearm anywhere in their car so long as it is not concealed upon their person such as under a jacket or in a pocket.

Thank you,

My Name,of Reno, Nevada.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I sent a similar note to the author of the article. Here's the reply I got...WOW!! (emphasis added)

Mr. XXX,

It appears as if you're right. Hoyt is claiming that they are still prosecuting people in North Las Vegas for this misdemeanor. I'm going to make a few calls and possibly do a story on this if North Las Vegas is indeed arresting and charging people for this.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Lawrence Mower
Reporter
Las Vegas Review-Journal
(702) 383-0440
lmower@reviewjournal.com