• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun shows- Armed or Unarmed

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

I haven't been to too many gun shows, but when I do go there is always somone at the door asking if I have a firearm. What is the protocol for attending. I have in the past unloaded and locked my gun in my car. But it seems that thereare always people carring in the building. Any suggestions?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Ask them what you need to do. It really is their call. I know the Michigan Gun & Knife Show makes you disarm (unload, zip-tie, etc...) but at the show that the Midland County Sportsmans Club puts on, they don't even ask.

I attended the gun show in Birch Run a few years ago and locked mine in the vehicle. I did not want to deal with the zip-tie BS. My main purpose for going was to check out holsters for a 1911 and XD. What a waste of time and a half tank of gas it was. I will never go to another gun show if they are all similar to Birch Run.

Amazingly, after I returned home from the show I went online to some gun boards and read where some of the members thought it was the best show around.:banghead:

Furner

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Ask them what you need to do. It really is their call. I know the Michigan Gun & Knife Show makes you disarm (unload, zip-tie, etc...) but at the show that the Midland County Sportsmans Club puts on, they don't even ask.

I attended the gun show in Birch Run a few years ago and locked mine in the vehicle. I did not want to deal with the zip-tie BS. My main purpose for going was to check out holsters for a 1911 and XD. What a waste of time and a half tank of gas it was. I will never go to another gun show if they are all similar to Birch Run.

Amazingly, after I returned home from the show I went online to some gun boards and read where some of the members thought it was the best show around.:banghead:
As far as gun shows go, they were probably right. Gun shows are good for surplus ammo, and knockoff optics, IMO.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Furner wrote:
SNIP
As far as gun shows go, they were probably right. Gun shows are good for surplus ammo, and knockoff optics, IMO.
I know it's a matter of opinion, especially, when I'm only interested in handguns and the accessories for em. I'm not into the AR 15 thing (lots of stuff for that sort of thing), not that I would not mind having one, it's just not feasible at this time. I did check out the ammo but even Wolf was pricey.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've always had to do the zip-tie thing.

Still carried loaded mags in my pocket....

Oh and one of these...

Attachments

• small_wire_cutters.jpg
    small_wire_cutters.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 302

ChuckB

imported post

I'm supposed to go to one in Monroe tomorrow with my buddie if I can get a babysitter. I've only been to one before at the Gibralter Trade Center in Taylor and we had to disarm.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ChuckB wrote:
I'm supposed to go to one in Monroe tomorrow with my buddie if I can get a babysitter. I've only been to one before at the Gibralter Trade Center in Taylor and we had to disarm.

This armed or disarmed issue at guns shows have been beaten to death among many gun boards. Personally, I'm not certain if I'm for or against the policies. :uhoh:

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

The armed or disarmed issue may have been beaten to death on gun boardsand that is ok, but I'm thinking that that being in a buildingwith several hundred other armed enthusiasts may just be the safest place on the planet, if I'm wrong oh well.It just seems that policies that disarm show goers are counter to the right to carry that we all are trying to practice. please forgive the last post as I am not very seasond with computers and make mistakes fairly easily. See what i mean the last post that I thought I sent in error wasn't sent. I should find a 4th grader to do the posting for me!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

springerdave wrote:

The armed or disarmed issue may have been beaten to death on gun boardsand that is ok

My beaten to death comment was not meant to be a complaint to the issue at hand. Actually, itwas meant tobesimilar tothe OC vs CC wars typically seen on many gun boards.

being in a buildingwith several hundred other armed enthusiasts may just be the safest place on the planet

No doubt. This is really the basis for my 'for or against' comment...leaning towards 'for' being disarmed.

It just seems that policies that disarm show goers are counter to the right to carry that we all are trying to practice

Agreed. This is where I lean towards 'against' being disarmed.

SQLtables

imported post

springerdave wrote:
The armed or disarmed issue may have been beaten to death on gun boardsand that is ok, but I'm thinking that that being in a buildingwith several hundred other armed enthusiasts may just be the safest place on the planet, if I'm wrong oh well.It just seems that policies that disarm show goers are counter to the right to carry that we all are trying to practice. please forgive the last post as I am not very seasond with computers and make mistakes fairly easily. See what i mean the last post that I thought I sent in error wasn't sent. I should find a 4th grader to do the posting for me!
Can you imagine what would happen if one shot got fired? Even on accident? I'd be gettin my butt out the nearest exit... that doesn't sound too safe to me... :D

PT111

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
springerdave wrote:
Can you imagine what would happen if one shot got fired? Even on accident? I'd be gettin my butt out the nearest exit... that doesn't sound too safe to me... :D
May be the safest place on the planet from a BG trying to rob someone but several hundred "total idiots" playing with loaded guns is not a safe place. There is a reason that "loaded" guns are not allowed at gun shows and it has nothing to do with 2A or anti-gun rights or anything similar. Just think if you had a car show and said that anyone could test drive any car they wanted to whether they knew how to drive or not. I am all for being allowed to keep and bear arms but some people don't have enough sense to do so safely. Put 500 of them in a room with loaded guns and you have problems. And don't hand me that bull that because you have a permit you know what you are doing and will be safe.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BobCav wrote:
I've always had to do the zip-tie thing.

Still carried loaded mags in my pocket....

Oh and one of these...
A better plan I've heard is plan ahead and bring your own zip ties. Put it on before you get to the door, but thread it backwards so it can be easily yanked out.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

PT111 wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
springerdave wrote:
May be the safest place on the planet from a BG trying to rob someone but several hundred "total idiots" playing with loaded guns is not a safe place. There is a reason that "loaded" guns are not allowed at gun shows and it has nothing to do with 2A or anti-gun rights or anything similar. Just think if you had a car show and said that anyone could test drive any car they wanted to whether they knew how to drive or not. I am all for being allowed to keep and bear arms but some people don't have enough sense to do so safely. Put 500 of them in a room with loaded guns and you have problems. And don't hand me that bull that because you have a permit you know what you are doing and will be safe.

Your car show analogy is a bit off. We are not asking to shoot out guns at the show. It would be like a car show if they didn't allow you to drive to the car show, but had to park a mile away and walk to the show.

No guns at shows is about Insurance and liability and that's it. I have talked with the promoters of the Michigan gun and knife shows and after several different BS reasons for the policy he finally admitted it was for his attorney and his liability insurance, nothing more.

PT111

imported post

Venator wrote:
PT111 wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
springerdave wrote:

Your car show analogy is a bit off. We are not asking to shoot out guns at the show. It would be like a car show if they didn't allow you to drive to the car show, but had to park a mile away and walk to the show.

No guns at shows is about Insurance and liability and that's it. I have talked with the promoters of the Michigan gun and knife shows and after several different BS reasons for the policy he finally admitted it was for his attorney and his liability insurance, nothing more.
What ever analogy you want to make is fine but if I go to a gun show and they allow everyone to walk around with a loaded gun strapped to their hip I am leaving. Too many idiots walking around with loaded guns being flashed about for me to feel safe. Rather walk through the Hood at midnight. It may be to satisfy thge lawyers and insurance companies but I think it is a good idea. NO LOADED GUNS.

DickTracy1953

imported post

Your post is not exactly correct about the Michigan Gun & Knife Shows. If you are a "table holder" and get permission from the show promoter you may be allowed to conceal carry if your permit is current. Walk ins are not allowed to conceal or open carry hand guns unless they are law enforcement officers. After the college campus shooting in VA the show promoter took time to rethink his policy about only having his limited security forces armed.

The reason that all firearms are to be tied or broken down is for the safety of all that attend the show. There have been accidental discharges from time to time at well known shows. It happened at Tulsa at least once. When this happens people can and do get hurt. These incidents only tend to fuel the political nightmare. We all know that guns shows in general are under attack.

I have maintained a table at every Grand Rapids Delta Plex Gun Show now for over six years. It is somewhat common for me to observe unsafe or less than safe gun handling such as seeing people pointing, sweeping, and even dryfiring fireams in an unsafe direction after they worked the band free. As you may know, hand guns are often displayed in glass showcases and are not required to be banded. People tend to improperly handle hand guns more often that they do rifles or shotguns.

I tend to remind people when I see unsafe gun handling.

Sailorwatson

imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:
Your post is not exactly correct about the Michigan Gun & Knife Shows. If you are a "table holder" and get permission from the show promoter you may be allowed to conceal carry if your permit is current. Walk ins are not allowed to conceal or open carry hand guns unless they are law enforcement officers. After the college campus shooting in VA the show promoter took time to rethink his policy about only having his limited security forces armed.

The reason that all firearms are to be tied or broken down is for the safety of all that attend the show. There have been accidental discharges from time to time at well known shows. It happened at Tulsa at least once. When this happens people can and do get hurt. These incidents only tend to fuel the political nightmare. We all know that guns shows in general are under attack.

I have maintained a table at every Grand Rapids Delta Plex Gun Show now for over six years. It is somewhat common for me to observe unsafe or less than safe gun handling such as seeing people pointing, sweeping, and even dryfiring fireams in an unsafe direction after they worked the band free. As you may know, hand guns are often displayed in glass showcases and are not required to be banded. People tend to improperly handle hand guns more often that they do rifles or shotguns.

I tend to remind people when I see unsafe gun handling.
What booth do you have at the Deltaplex? I will more than likel;y be at the next one.
Sailorwatson

DickTracy1953

imported post

When you first walk into the show hall make a quick left then head down the row of tables going towards the back of the room. My table is the fourth or fifth table into the show. It will be on your right hand side. I have a very good location; it is easy to find, and I have a great view of everything that comes into the show.

If you have attended this show before you will recall that there has always been an end cap with a War between the States and Indian Wars theme. These are the first tables that you see when you enter the show. My table is usually three tables into the show from this location, same row, depending on how many tables that the end cap takes up.