• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

July 4th OCDO metup activities?

IanB

imported post

Hey folks,

Anyone in NoVA making plans to see fireworks or other 4th festivities? I personally will be attending the Laser Light Show in Vienna, while OC. Of course voice recorders will be the norm for that event. Also, Alexandria has fireworks (July 12th), I'll be attending that as well. The Fairfax City fireworks are held on school property so obviously I won't be there.

PleaseRSVP if you plan to attend eitherthe Vienna laser show (on the 4th) or the Alexandria fireworks (12th).

Vienna Laser Show (July 4th): [MAP]
Nakedshoplifter

Alexandria Fireworks: (July 12th): [MAP]
Nakedshoplifter

ShufflnAlong

imported post

Got to get ya'll up here to West By God Virginia were we set the real stuff off in our back 40. Hog a roastin shrimp and crab legs. Venison burgers. LOL.

Been haveing a party like that for 20 years but this year we are not doing much. Gas and just plain prices on eveyrthing has hit us all this year.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The fourth is our annual board of directors meeting for the timber farms. Afterwards we have the family reunion. Both are defiantly OC. We'll have BBQ Chicken, grilled burgers and hot dogs Etc.

Shooting matches, skeet shooting, some will try fly fishing and others will go out and see if they can see any of our bears (they've been very cooperative this year)

anybody.jpg

Kevin108

imported post

Tidewater area: http://festeventsva.org/events.php?status=current#jul

Friday, July 4th 2008 - 5 pm- 10 pm; Fireworks: 9:30
26th AT&T Great American 4th of July Picnic & Fireworks
Town Point Park, Norfolk, Virginia
Free & Everyone is Welcome ~ 5 pm- 10 pm; Fireworks 9:30
Aromas of traditional fares including hot dogs, hamburgers, barbecue, buttered corn on the cob and juicy watermelon waft through the air! Come out with the family and enjoy great music, food, and fireworks as we celebrate America's Birthday!
U. S. Fleet Forces Band wishes to invite all members of the Hampton Roads Community to performances by the U. S. Fleet Forces Band’s ”Four Star Edition” Contemporary Music Ensemble followed by the U. S. Fleet Forces Wind Ensemble on July 4th, 2008 at Town Point Park in Downtown Norfolk. Four Star Edition will take the stage at 6PM, and the Wind Ensemble will perform at 8PM. The evening’s performances will be concluded by Norfolk’s annual Fireworks show.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just found out Lexington has a hot-air balloon festival on the 4th. We probably will go there.

Any OCDO members in the VMI area?

vbnative73

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Does anyone in the Norfolk Va Beach area know if Mt. Trashmore is having a show? I know they had one in the pastI have taken my kids too.

Here's the sked for Trashmore:

Schedule of Events:
Main Stage:
4:00 pm: Max Media Radio with interactive family entertainment
5:00 pm: Grant Austin Taylor, local music artist
6:00 pm & 8:00 pm: “BUTTER”, Virginia Beach’s own musical sensation

Activities:
5:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Free children’s activities and games at Shelter #3 including the Gamer Bus, karaoke for kids, face painting and bouncing inflatables!

Fireworks
9:30 p.m.Pyrotecnico of New Castle, PA will amaze the crowd with their spectacular show.

AND here is the sked for the oceanfront:

17th Street Park (Beachstreet Starfish Pavilion at 17th Street):
7:00pm-8:00pm and 10:00pm-11:00pm, “REVOLUTION: THE BEATLES TRIBUTE”

20th Street Stage on the Beach:
8:00pm-9:30pm, SYMPHONICITY (the symphony orchestra of Virginia Beach, conducted by David S. Kunkel) and VIRGINIA BEACH CHORALE (Under the direction of Lou Sawyer)
9:30pm, Fireworks

24th Street Park (Beachstreet Seaside Palladium at 24th Street):
7:00pm-8:00pm and 10:00pm-11:00pm, ‘THE ENGLISH CHANNEL”

31st Street Park (Neptune’s Park):
8:30pm-9:30pm and 10:00pm-11:00pm, ‘SATISFACTION: A ROLLING STONES EXPERIENCE”

Sadly, I've got night shift 1800-0600 in a big brick building sans windows.:cuss:

Y'all have fun.

Bullbuster

imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:
Does anyone in the Norfolk Va Beach area know if Mt. Trashmore is having a show? I know they had one in the pastI have taken my kids too.

Here's the sked for Trashmore:

Schedule of Events:
Main Stage:
4:00 pm: Max Media Radio with interactive family entertainment
5:00 pm: Grant Austin Taylor, local music artist
6:00 pm & 8:00 pm: “BUTTER”, Virginia Beach’s own musical sensation

Activities:
5:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Free children’s activities and games at Shelter #3 including the Gamer Bus, karaoke for kids, face painting and bouncing inflatables!

Fireworks
9:30 p.m.Pyrotecnico of New Castle, PA will amaze the crowd with their spectacular show.

AND here is the sked for the oceanfront:

17th Street Park (Beachstreet Starfish Pavilion at 17th Street):
7:00pm-8:00pm and 10:00pm-11:00pm, “REVOLUTION: THE BEATLES TRIBUTE”

20th Street Stage on the Beach:
8:00pm-9:30pm, SYMPHONICITY (the symphony orchestra of Virginia Beach, conducted by David S. Kunkel) and VIRGINIA BEACH CHORALE (Under the direction of Lou Sawyer)
9:30pm, Fireworks

24th Street Park (Beachstreet Seaside Palladium at 24th Street):
7:00pm-8:00pm and 10:00pm-11:00pm, ‘THE ENGLISH CHANNEL”

31st Street Park (Neptune’s Park):
8:30pm-9:30pm and 10:00pm-11:00pm, ‘SATISFACTION: A ROLLING STONES EXPERIENCE”

Sadly, I've got night shift 1800-0600 in a big brick building sans windows.:cuss:

Y'all have fun.

Thanks for the info.

Just so I'm up to date. Is it OK to OC at Mt. Trashmore? I haven't been there in some time.

vtme_grad98

imported post

For those that would enjoy seeing the Norfolk fireworks show, which should be fantastic judging by the Harborfest one, but don't care to deal with the Norfolk crowds, here's another option for you.

I live right by the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, and had a very enjoyable time viewing the show from my balcony. Portsmouth has a number of things you can do right on High Street, including a children's museum (I've never been in it. I might suck, and it might be closed all day on the 4th). A short walk from High Street can get you to the portion of Crawford between the marina and the naval hospital, which has a long stretch with an unobstructed view of the Waterside fireworks.

Granted, you can get an even better view if you watch the show from naval hospital property, but then you can't open carry (or carry at all for that matter). I also realize that for some, when they open carry, the more crowded the better. For me, I prefer to not alter where I would go just because I'm armed, whether to avoid notice or to be seen by even more, for the most part. I did make an exception for a little while there after Chet's experience at Harborfest.

Also, for those who have actually met me at some of the dinners who might want to come to Portsmouth to see the Waterside fireworks, feel free to PM me. Anyone I've met before is more than welcome to drop by my place to hang out and enjoy the A/C a little while they're here, and I'm an easy walk from High Street (part of why I live here).

Glock27Bill

imported post

I'll be at a friend's farm in Catharpin.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to shoot on the 4th because of the other folks/kids around.

I'm saddened that Vienna is no longer doing fireworks. I've lived here since 1963 and see them regularly, have no idea how long before that they've been having them.

There was an accident last year, so now it's lasers. I'd be more afraid of an errant laser blinding folks that an errant mortar. Rather be burned than blinded.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Nope, these folks have been there for generations.

My brother's friend has a body shop there, along with a double-sealed paint room.

Does some nice high-end show autos...a real artist.

Great place to dove hunt, deer hunt, fish, and shoot. I wish I owned it.

They've known each other since high school. Parties have gone from getting drunk and sleeping in the mud to taking their RVs and kids. What a transition!!