Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: Spokane man shoots himself in the face

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...otface26m.html


    "SPOKANE — Police say a man who was drinking with friends and playing with a handgun accidentally shot himself in the face in Spokane.


    Police say when someone expressed concern about the gun early today, the man attempted to prove it was unloaded by pointing it at his face and pulling the trigger.

    The 42-year-old Spokane man is in critical condition."

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    800

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    the man attempted to prove it was unloaded by pointing it at his face and pulling the trigger.


    NOT the way to check the chamber! Serious candidate for this year's Darwin awards...

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    As I was reading this I thought the same thing.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Slaughter, ,
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    i have no idea why people can't clear a gun correctly.

    of course even if i triple checked it i would never point the friggin thing at my HEAD!

    just can't help some people.

    like that episode of the simpsons where they had to protect a specie of worm that was sexually attracted to fire. ha!

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    What an idiot. Ban alcohol! (wait they tried that) Ban handguns (no, they can't do that now) I got it! Ban IDIOTS! (then the Brady bunch will have something else to whine about as that will eliminate their support base)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Poulsbo, Washington, USA
    Posts
    546

    Post imported post

    nosliw wrote:
    i have no idea why people can't clear a gun correctly.

    of course even if i triple checked it i would never point the friggin thing at my HEAD!

    just can't help some people.

    like that episode of the simpsons where they had to protect a specie of worm that was sexually attracted to fire. ha!
    Well, that's your choice. After it's triple-checked, I'm pretty sure it's safe to satisfy your curiousity. Whether you would do that or not is a different matter.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    384

    Post imported post

    I know it's tragic, but I actually laughed out loud. His gun was like a cup of bleach in the gene pool.

  8. #8
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884

    Post imported post

    I love it when natural selection works faster than usual.


    I tried explaining this topic to my 7 year old daughter. I said some idiot shot himself in the face trying to prove a gun was unloaded instead of looking in the....? She answered, "Looking in the chamber". She's on her way. :celebrate
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

  9. #9
    Regular Member John Hardin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    684

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    accidentally shot himself ... the man attempted to prove it was unloaded by pointing it at his face and pulling the trigger
    In what way is that an accident? Negligent, yes. Stupid, yes. But an accident?

    Stupidity should be painful. Otherwise you just engcourage stupidity.

    --


  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    You can't fix stupid, but if left to it's own devices, stupid will fix itself. The Liberals don't understand this concept at all.

  11. #11
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    Here's your stupid sign, we'll hang it on the tombstone.

  12. #12
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241

    Post imported post

    Don't mix these.



    http://www.darwinawards.com/
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Slaughter, ,
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    antispam540 wrote:
    nosliw wrote:
    i have no idea why people can't clear a gun correctly.

    of course even if i triple checked it i would never point the friggin thing at my HEAD!

    just can't help some people.

    like that episode of the simpsons where they had to protect a specie of worm that was sexually attracted to fire. ha!
    Well, that's your choice. After it's triple-checked, I'm pretty sure it's safe to satisfy your curiousity. Whether you would do that or not is a different matter.
    it's the principal of the act. am i helping gun owners in general by showing my non-gunny friends that i correctly checked the gun and now it's safe to point to my head and pull the trigger?



  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    dng wrote:
    Here's your stupid sign, we'll hang it on the tombstone.
    Yeah, Bill Engvall would be the PERFECT speaker at his funeral..

    Heeeere's yur sign

    TJ

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    The problem here is he hasn't been removed from the gene pool... Yet...

    He was taken to the hospital where he resides in critical condition...

    Darwin failed to take another one...

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    The problem here is he hasn't been removed from the gene pool... Yet...

    He was taken to the hospital where he resides in critical condition...

    Darwin failed to take another one...
    I know. But one day.....

    TJ

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    Fixed it for you:

    jbone wrote:
    Don't drink this. It tastes like asparagus-laden piss smells."
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bellingham, ,
    Posts
    608

    Post imported post

    I guess (didn't know the person) someone i went to elem did that... 20 or so years back.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post


    Utterly stupid thing to do. However, hoping that he dies is NOT cool.
    I hope, whoever this guy is, that he survives, fully recovers, and LEARNS
    something from this.

  20. #20
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    SlacK wrote:
    Utterly stupid thing to do. However, hoping that he dies is NOT cool.
    I hope, whoever this guy is, that he survives, fully recovers, and LEARNS
    something from this.
    ...And uses his experience to teach others about proper gun safety, gun handling and not to mix drugs/alcohol and firearms.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bellingham, ,
    Posts
    608

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    SlacK wrote:
    Utterly stupid thing to do. However, hoping that he dies is NOT cool.
    I hope, whoever this guy is, that he survives, fully recovers, and LEARNS
    something from this.
    ...And uses his experience to teach others about proper gun safety, gun handling and not to mix drugs/alcohol and firearms.
    not without exception... give me a beer and a rifle and i truly shoot better than a rifle and a glass of water


    however, i have a tremor (I shake A LOT) and beer does calm that.

    misusing the two causes problem, not the combination...

  22. #22
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    uncoolperson wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    ...And uses his experience to teach others about proper gun safety, gun handling and not to mix drugs/alcohol and firearms.
    not without exception... give me a beer and a rifle and i truly shoot better than a rifle and a glass of water


    however, i have a tremor (I shake A LOT) and beer does calm that.

    misusing the two causes problem, not the combination...
    Granted. There are certainly exceptions to that rule, but they are very few and very specific to the individual, usually due to medical conditions.

    I had a friend in high school that had tremors and was prescribed (by his doctor) to take a shot of vodka every morning and as necessary throughout the day. Fortunately, his father was on the local PD, so they already had a heads-up in case he was pulled over and had alcohol on his breath while driving to school. Any BAC above zero for a minor while driving is a DUI and revocation of license, IIRC.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bellingham, ,
    Posts
    608

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    uncoolperson wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    ...And uses his experience to teach others about proper gun safety, gun handling and not to mix drugs/alcohol and firearms.
    not without exception... give me a beer and a rifle and i truly shoot better than a rifle and a glass of water


    however, i have a tremor (I shake A LOT) and beer does calm that.

    misusing the two causes problem, not the combination...
    Granted. There are certainly exceptions to that rule, but they are very few and very specific to the individual, usually due to medical conditions.

    I had a friend in high school that had tremors and was prescribed (by his doctor) to take a shot of vodka every morning and as necessary throughout the day. Fortunately, his father was on the local PD, so they already had a heads-up in case he was pulled over and had alcohol on his breath while driving to school. Any BAC above zero for a minor while driving is a DUI and revocation of license, IIRC.
    That's rad...

    I was really just saying mis-mixing is bad, know your limit (like a car).

    my example was not an excuse, but simply an extreme example of controlled it isn't the most terrible thing.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    Being a drunken idiot is not a defense to being an idiot.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Washington, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    Wow, another reason to carry a revolver!



    See?! Empty!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •