• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to attend HWp calss this summer

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Morning all,

I'm new, just registered today. I have been lurking your boards for about a month, and have decided to join. I'm ex-mil, 7 years in submarine duty, and am living in Middle Tennessee. I fully intend to open carry at least part of the time, and so have been reading things here with interest. I am an RKBA fanatic, and my wife is becoming one even though she grew up in Mass.

My wife and I are getting set to take our permit class in July, and I was wondering if anyone here had gone through any of the local classes or was familiar with the ranges. We have shot at On Target in Murfreesboro, and have been in Gun City in Nashville, but have not shot there. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

I own (and intend to carry) a Ruger P94 in .40, and my wife owns a Charter Arms hammerless .38 snub. (I know, Charter produced some crap weapons in the late90's to early 00's, but with the new ownership the weapons are fairly well made, and my wife loves the fit. we have about 500 rounds through the .38 with no issues)Any recommendations on holsters? I have an Uncle Mikes belt holster, as well as a shoulder rig for the .40, and my wife has an Uncle Mikes for her .38

Thanks in advance, and it's good to be here!

Respectfully, Pol

Fallguy

imported post

Hey Pol,

I've never been to either placeyou mentioned let alone shot there, but I have heard good things about On Target....but have not heard anything bad about Gun City as far as that goes.

I've had all kind of family in the Navy, Dad retired MMC on destroyer(WWII and Korea) Uncle was a diver (Vietnam) and my brother was a corpsman and was down at Gitmo for awhile during the Haitian deal.

Oh...and actually...it should be "HCP" Handgun Carry Permit :)

Pol Mordreth

imported post

heheh, thanks fallguy... one of those days....

I come from a mil family. Both parents AF, brother and I Navy, brother and sister Army, sister Marine Corps. Grew up shooting as we lived in rural PA.

There are apparently 6 places to go here in Middle TN, with varying prices and driving distance. The only one I'm not really sure of is a company called Safety South. They look to be a traveling show, and I guess they use whatever local range they can contract with. http://www.safetysouth.net/courses.htmI just have no ideawhat range they would be using here in Smyrna. I appreciate the response.

Respectfully,

Pol

ProguninTN

imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
heheh, thanks fallguy... one of those days....

I come from a mil family. Both parents AF, brother and I Navy, brother and sister Army, sister Marine Corps. Grew up shooting as we lived in rural PA.

There are apparently 6 places to go here in Middle TN, with varying prices and driving distance. The only one I'm not really sure of is a company called Safety South. They look to be a traveling show, and I guess they use whatever local range they can contract with. http://www.safetysouth.net/courses.htmI just have no ideawhat range they would be using here in Smyrna. I appreciate the response.

Respectfully,

Pol
I have taken courses in which the range portion of the courses were held in Smyrna. They took place at the Tennessee National Guard Base at the Smyrna Airport. Perhaps that course provider is also using the base ?

ProguninTN

Pol Mordreth

imported post

That makes sense. I hadn't thought of the base.

Do you happen to knowwhat thenormal turn around time is for the TN permit? When I got my Georgia (many moons ago) it was same day at the courthouse. Unfortunately, my Georgia expired before i was aware that reciprocity had changed and TN would have just converted my carry permit. When I first moved here, I was toldthat GA permits weren'tconvertible since they had different requirements at the time.

Respectfully,

Pol

Fallguy

imported post

Well here lately there doesn't seem to be normal amount of time before one is issued.

By law they have up to 90 days. I have heard of some being issued in as little as 38 days, other right at the 90 day limit.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Well, the wife and I ended up going to ASP in Joelton. Good people, and better range ventilation than the On Target in M'boro. We decided on them because they were the only school around here that posted the instructors names and qualifications on their web site.

My wife has a Charter Undercover in .38, and was a little worried about qualifying with it due to its short barrel and heavy trigger. ( we are going to get the trigger lightened a bit next month.) She's very accurate at the 7 yd or less, but a little wobbly at the 15 yd. The instructor let her use his fathers duty piece (father was a sherrif in Maine, apparently) a S&W with a 4 inch barrel and a heavily modified trigger. She ended up outshooting everyone in the class, including the armed security guys doing their requal. And at 17 wks pregnant!

We both filed our applications this week, I'll be tracking dates for time to issue for future applicants.

Respectfully,

Pol

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fallguy wrote:
Well here lately there doesn't seem to be normal amount of time before one is issued.

By law they have up to 90 days. I have heard of some being issued in as little as 38 days, other right at the 90 day limit.
When I did the safety course in Hohenwald the instructors told us that it might take longer than the 90 days. He said that there had been a surge in applications recently and the state hasn't adjusted to handle it. We're going over to Lawrenceburg tommorrow to apply for our permits. Guess we'll have to wait and see how long it takes.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

By law they must decline or issue within 90 days. There are no exceptions or extensions. If you have not been declined within 90 days, they are not allowed to take additional time to look for information, they must issue the permit.

If they have not recieved all the background check info within the 90 days, they must issue the permit and if they later recieve information that declares the permit holder ineligible, they may revoke the permit. ref TCA 39-17-1351section L

The law itself doesn't provide any remedy for non-compliance, But if my permit is not in my hand after the mail comes on the 90th day, my attorney will be calling the DoS the next day.

Respectfully,

Pol

Fallguy

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Fallguy wrote:

When I did the safety course in Hohenwald the instructors told us that it might take longer than the 90 days. He said that there had been a surge in applications recently and the state hasn't adjusted to handle it. We're going over to Lawrenceburg tommorrow to apply for our permits. Guess we'll have to wait and see how long it takes.

On another forum I'm on a member contaced the office where they issue HCPs when it was close to 90 days for him. Turns out they only have 8 people working in that office to process all the new applications, renewals and answer the phone. Hopefully the will put more people in the office soon.

The office manager, Ms Knight, actually said it can help to call and check on the status of your permit. Most I know wait about 4-6 weeks to call and many are told they will go ahead and issue the permit at that time.

You can call (615) 251-8590 to check

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
Thanks for the information Fallguy. It's only been three weeks for me so far, so I'll wait another 2 and check.

Just got back from Lawrenceburg where I applied for my permit today. They said that the state wasbacked upon issuances and that it would probably take longer than ususal (what ever that is), so we'll see.

named the town wrong :banghead:

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Well, I called yesterday afternoon to check on the status of our permits. This was 5 weeks to the day, or 35 days since application. They looked up both mine and my wifes, and went ahead and released them for issue. They said they should be in out hands in 7 to 14 calendar days.

I have to say, this was the singularly most enjoyable experience I have ever had with a public employee. The lady on the phone was polite and helpful, and never indicated that I was interrupting her or that my request for status was an inconvenience. Dealing with people like this really helps me not mind paying taxes.

Respectfully,

Pol

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Well, I received my permit in todays post. 43 days all told. I think my first open carry experience will be either tonight or tomorrow, depending on what my wife's plans are for the weekend.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Called DOS today about my HCP status. Spoke to a nice lady who said she had everything in my packet but the application. Asked me to fax my copy to her and she'd get it going. It will be five weeks tomorrow since I applied.

From what she told me, it appears that they are having touble with some scanning system that isn't living up to it's hype.

My boss called about his and his wifes apps. His was approved and ready to be mailed (He's had a Fl license for a few years). His wifes packet had the same problem as mine and he had to fax her app copy, too. They told him that ours should be processed in the next 5 days and sent out. We might be seeing ours in the mail in a couple of weeks or so. We all applied on the same date.

So it really does pay to give them a call.

bobkk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Last time I renewed mine the THP lost mine. Waited a month to call. They said my permit had expired. Had to go to the THP and show them my copy of my renewal.They faxed it to Nashville. Got my permit in a week.