• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in indiana and handgun in my home.

7588merc

imported post

when is it legal to open carry a firearm in indiana? also can i have a handgun in my home without a licencse to carry? where can i find more info or the exact laws to clarify some things?

Prometheus

imported post

7588merc wrote:
when is it legal to open carry a firearm in indiana?
Only on property you own or on property whose owner gives you permission. To open (or conceal) carry in public you must have a valid LTCH -License to Carry a Handgun
also can i have a handgun in my home without a licencse to carry?
YES! There is no registration or licensing to own a handgun or long gun in the state of Indiana.
where can i find more info or the exact laws to clarify some things?
www.in.gov is a good start

7588merc

imported post

wow lots of good info. i always thought you had to tell an officer if you are carrying. how often do laws like these change? i noticed the date said 5/18/08

at the moment im capable of getting a LTC here in indiana but i am not old enogh to buy a handgun. how would i be able to aquire a handgun legally? is the only way through my parents?

tattedupboy

imported post

In the great state of Indiana no permit is needed to purchase or keep a gun in your home. You do, however, need a permit to carry outside your residence and to exempt yourself from the state background check when purchasing a handgun.

Prometheus

imported post

7588merc wrote:
at the moment im capable of getting a LTC here in indiana but i am not old enogh to buy a handgun. how would i be able to aquire a handgun legally? is the only way through my parents?

You say you are old enough to get a LTCH so I assume you are 18-20 years of age.

If so you are old enough enough to own and purchase a handgun in the state of Indiana. However due to interstate commerece laws you cannot purchase a handgun from a federal firearms dealer until you turn 21.

Solution is to buy from a private person who is selling something they no longer want.

Your parents could buy you a handgun because straw purchase laws are directed at "buying a firearm for someone prohibited from owning it". Some gun dealers are uber parinoid and won't even let a wife buy a gun for a husband as a birthday present... but then again gun dealers tend to be like cops, ignornant of the laws they are required to know. YMMV.

7588merc

imported post

yeah thats exactly what i meant. and all gunshops are ffl dealers correct?

can you tell me more about registering ? my buddy(who has a ltc) said that you have to carry a registered gun with a ltc.

Skippy

imported post

7588merc wrote:

can you tell me more about registering ? my buddy(who has a ltc) said that you have to carry a registered gun with a ltc.
Indiana does not have gun registration. Your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about.

aikidoka

imported post

Skippy wrote:
7588merc wrote:

Indiana does not have gun registration.  Your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yep, I've run into that a few times. People are surprised that you don't have to register the gun. Last I purchased from a gun store, I just had a background check, and away I went.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

aikidoka wrote:
Skippy wrote:
7588merc wrote:

Indiana does not have gun registration. Your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yep, I've run into that a few times. People are surprised that you don't have to register the gun. Last I purchased from a gun store, I just had a background check, and away I went.

On a slightly different note, are background checks in Indiana instant?

If I have an out-of-state dealer ship to a local FFL, what will I need to do for background?

aikidoka

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
aikidoka wrote:
Skippy wrote:
7588merc wrote:

Indiana does not have gun registration.  Your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about.

On a slightly different note, are background checks in Indiana instant?

If I have an out-of-state dealer ship to a local FFL, what will I need to do for background?

I just did that. I ordered a Para Ordnance Warthog from Buds Gun Shop online and had it transferred to a local FFL holder. They have some listed that you can use, but I recommned you check with the FFL holder first to see what the cost is. You might find a better price if you shop around.

Once it arrived, I went in, filled out the form ACCURATELY, including city/state I was born in, which required a cell phone call to my mom. lol I also provided my SS number. He called it in and that was that.

The guy I was dealing with had a sense of humor though. He said, "well, you are wanted in 16 states but Indiana isn't one of them. The black choppers will be here soon". He then noticed an officer at the other end of the counter and said, "oh they're already here". haha

IIRC I filled out the same form when I purchased a used firearm some years ago from a gun shop.