• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Steps

Carry

imported post

Where do I begin.?.... <Carrie hums the "Love Story" theme song....>

Truly, what are some first steps for someone who has not fired a gun in over 30 years?

I would like to visit a gun range and rent a gun (or several to find a good fit), but perhaps you fine folks have some suggestions.

Thank you very much.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Carry wrote:
Where do I begin.?.... <Carrie hums the "Love Story" theme song....>

Truly, what are some first steps for someone who has not fired a gun in over 30 years?

I would like to visit a gun range and rent a gun (or several to find a good fit), but perhaps you fine folks have some suggestions.

Thank you very much.

Check out makes and models via the Internet; S&W, Glock, Springfield, etc. Go to gun stores to determine what gun looks good to you and how it feels in your hand.

Make determinations on barrel length, caliber, magazine capacity, etc.

If possible, in your area, do as you already mentioned.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Consider if you want a safety or not. Revolver or semi-Auto. And yes you should rent one before you buy it. All guns have their own different charter, like Glocks hurt my hand for some reason, but the same caliber in the XD is fine.

Also do your research on the weapon that you are interested in read magazines, internet, and asking questions. I learned not to trust magazines to much anymore, example Kimber has a SIS 1911. It was all over every magazine front page for months about 3-4 months I kept reading on that gun, and started to get it. But I did more research on the net and found that it has some issues that people did not expect and it was a turn off for me.

So don’t get brainwashed by the magazines in making your purchase. Buying a firearm is not something to rush into. A hasty handgun purchase could cost you your life.

hsmith

imported post

I'd sign up to take a basic safety class first. 30 years is a long time, you may frankly just have forgot a few things.

Good luck getting back into shooting! It certainly hasn't gotten cheaper.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I would suggest doing some research and some reading, then visit a few gun shops to see the actual products.

Then go to the first large gun show in your area. At gun shows, you see so much more and can handle so much more. Be aware that you will be hit with some good information and some garbage (this is where your research will help you out). The main point about going to a gun show is seeing so much of what is out there and handling the different pieces.

Once you have learned a bit and narrowed your selection down to a reasonable number of possibles, go to a range where you can rent handguns and try several of your choices to see how they feel in your hand when you fire them.

I cannot stress how important the research/learning phase really is. So do your homework and separate the BS from the good stuff, then continue to narrow your choices until you hit on the one that is right for you.

VAopencarry

imported post

Take a safety/basic pistol course, renting is good, do not research too much it will just make you more confused, find a 9mm or 38/357 revolver that feels comfortable in your hand, buy it. Go to range regularly.

Carry

imported post

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. :)

What books are suggested? I have come across these two today, but have not ordered them yet:
- The Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, and Shoot a Gun in Self Defense
- The Texas Gun Owner's Guide

I have to be careful and avoid the paralysis by over-analysis I tend to get by too much research. For some reason, I have this feeling of hurry up and get on with it. <upcoming election? egads>
Seems like the criminals are creeping in and the world full of chaos & getting worse.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Carry wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. :)

What books are suggested? I have come across these two today, but have not ordered them yet:
- The Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, and Shoot a Gun in Self Defense

I have to be careful and avoid the paralysis by over-analysis I tend to get by too much research. For some reason, I have this feeling of hurry up and get on with it. <upcoming election? egads>
Seems like the criminals are creeping in and the world full of chaos & getting worse.

Seriously: http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=3179

It will help a LOT.

Also: http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=2854

You will get 10 fold MORE than your monies worth on those.

Carry

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Carry wrote:
Seriously: http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=3179

It will help a LOT.

Also: http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=2854

You will get 10 fold MORE than your monies worth on those.

I'll check this out--Thanks! Any other 'Amens' on this?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I'm not trying to run a commercial here, but after watching that DVD once I saw a HUGE difference in the way my girlfriend shot. Like groups that were sometimes missing the paper to groups the size of a tuna can lid.

She was slapping the trigger
she was looking to see where she hit
and she was afraid of the recoil and loud noise.

A hand full of dummy rounds and her next visit to the range was like night and day. It was as if she had unlearned all her bad habits overnight.