• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I open carry in reciprocal states?

flyinscot

imported post

I have a Florida concealed weapons and firearms licence. Florida does not allow open carry, but some states that have reciprocal agreements with Florida do allow open carry (for example, Georgia). Can I open carry in a reciprocal state even though my licence is for concealed carry?

unreconstructed1

imported post

the best advice would be to look up the laws in each state specifically. by signing reciprocity agreements, the host states allow carry based on their laws, not on the laws of your home state. Tn for example, yes, ou could open carry with a reciprcal permit.

here is your best bet for fnding teh info all together

http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

Decoligny

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
I think Florida allows CCW only.
He wants to know about other States that accept the Florida CCW and if they allow Open Carry based on the Out of State CCW.

Premise :State X has reciprocity with Florida. State X allows Open Carry only with a License to Carry (CCW, LTC, CPL, etc.)

Question: Will State X allow a person whose home state doesn't allow Open Carry at all, to Open Carry with a Florida CCW?

Answer: It may vary depending on the individual State in question. Refer to the applicable Penal Codes for the State you intent to visit.

PT111

imported post

At first I thought that the answer would be yes without a question but then thought about it some more and the answer may be stdrange.

In most states you are required to follow all the laws of the state that you are in but in some cases where states do not have recipricol agreements but only recognization you may be either restricted by your CCW or provided additional permissions from the state issuing the permit. You will need to check with the local laws of each state.

An example is that North Carolina requires you to be 21 to get a CCW permit but if you have one from another state that allows you to get one at 18 then NC will recognize even if you are not 21. The TN permit is a carry permit and does not specify either OC or CC so if you are in a state that recognizes a TN permit without reciprocity then it is possible that you could OC. Normally but not always when states sign recipricol agreement they sign it as the laws in the individual states are adhered to.

SIGguy229

imported post

As long as you have a permit from a recognized state, you can carry according to the laws of the state you are visiting.

For example...you say you have a permit from FL....(I'm not familiar with GA laws)...but say you were to visit VA. VA has open carry (although no permit is required). Because you are in VA, you may open carry...or conceal carry as your FL permit is recognized in VA.

You home permit is only relevant for recognition and reciprocity of the state you are visiting. FL laws do NOT apply outside of FL....you are subject to the laws of the state you are visiting. rgr?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Then, for example, I am correct in my understanding that having a CCW in MO, which has reciprocity with IN and GA which are both licensed OC states, that I can CC or OC in either state?

SIGguy229

imported post

Yes--check the laws of the state you are visiting.If the state you are visiting allows/permits OC with a permit, and your permit is recognized, then you may carry in the manner prescribed by law, like any other resident of that state.

Note: there are states which will only recognize "resident" permits.

tattedupboy

imported post

I'm wondering if you're referring to whether the reciprocal agreement allows unlicensed residents to still carry. For instance, can a Florida resident without a license carry openly in a state (one that has traditional unlicensed open carry) with which Florida has reciprocity? It depends on the state. A Florida resident could carry openly without a license in places such as Virginia, Kentucky, or Wyoming (all of which allow unlicensed open carry by all adult non felons, regardless of their state of residence), but not in Michigan, which only allows unlicensed open carry by people who have handguns registered there (which in Michigan, applies only to residents; nonresidents from reciprocal states are specifically exempted from this requirement for concealed carry, but I'm not sure if that exemption also applies to OC with a permit).

SIGguy229

imported post

Exactly....you have to know the laws of the state you are visiting.....the rule of thumb--you are subject to the laws of the state you are visiting--not the rules of the state in which you are licensed/permitted.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I can tell you it will be OK in Kentucky. No permit, concealed or otherwise needed.

As long as you are not prohibited from owning a weapon, out of staters may indeed carry open in Kentucky.:D

kparker

imported post

Isn't it more of an issue in states like Indiana, Minnesota, or Utah, where a permit is required for (loaded) open carry, and you're coming from a state like Florida or Washington where your permit is a "Concealed Carry" permit, not a "License to Carry Firearm"?

ETA: And yes, of course the answer is to carefully research the laws of the state(s) you're travelling to.

Boomer654

imported post

As far as I understand Georgia law, (and keep in mind I am NOT a lawyer), when you are in Georgia,your CCW permit is subject to the same restrictions/rightsas a Georgia Firearms License, which means, as long as you have your CCW on your person, you may open carry in Georgia. [url]http://www.georgiapacking.org/[/url] is a great reference site.
There is a long (though, thankfully, not AS long as of TODAY:celebrate) list of places and circumstanceswhere you may not carry in Georgia with or without a permit. Do yourself a favor and be familiar with the laws of the state you wish to carry in.

TheMrMitch

imported post

It seems simple that to be legal in a certain state that recognises your permit, one should simply get a copy of their laws/restrictions and follow them.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.