Thread: Whole Foods In Arlington (Clarendon), VA

Post imported post

Any OCed there? Apparently they are putting a wine bar in so once that is no more CC.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I wouldn't think so. Unless I'm mis-remembering 18.2-308.J.3. Restaurant or club.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    I wouldn't think so. Unless I'm mis-remembering 18.2-308.J.3. Restaurant or club.
    You remember correct sir:

18-2-308.J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

§ 4.1-100. Definitions.

"Club" means any private nonprofit corporation or association which is the owner, lessee, or occupant of an establishment operated solely for a national, social, patriotic, political, athletic, or other like purpose, but not for pecuniary gain, the advantages of which belong to all of the members. It also means the establishment so operated. A corporation or association shall not lose its status as a club because of the conduct of charitable gaming conducted pursuant to Article 1.1:1 (§ 18.2-340.15 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 18.2 in which nonmembers participate frequently or in large numbers, provided that no alcoholic beverages are served or consumed in the room where such charitable gaming is being conducted while such gaming is being conducted and that no alcoholic beverages are made available upon the premises to any person who is neither a member nor a bona fide guest of a member.

"Restaurant" means, for a mixed beverage license other than a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, an established place of business (i) where meals with substantial entrees are regularly sold and (ii) which has adequate facilities and sufficient employees for cooking, preparing, and serving such meals for consumption at tables in dining areas on the premises, and includes establishments specializing in full course meals with a single substantial entree.

I'm not a Lawyer, but I think you're ok to carry in Whole Foods.

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

We've beat this one to death many times before. It has to be a restaurant or club. They can sell beer at public events for on premisesconsumption but the sale and consumption alone doesn't mean you can't CC there.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    Some of the key words in the code are.....

"..... for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board."

No, the key words include "...the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board..."

As BobCav has so succinctly stated, we have beat this to death. The search function is your friend.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Now, now. Just because we have a high post count and have heard it all before doesn't mean we have to be cranky to the new guys.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    SNIP ........... on-premises consumption.

That's the key moreso than anything else in the code section, IMHO.
    Not unless its a restaurant or club that has been given a license for on-premises consumption. From 18.2-308.J.3:

No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Not unless its a restaurant or club that has been given a license for on-premises consumption. From 18.2-308.J.3:

No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia
    I agree "restaurant or club" are pretty important elements in the code section.

Bbut what I am saying is in the case of Whole Foods, the on-premise consumption seals the deal.

They don't sell and serve alcohol for on-premise consumption.

Maybe I should have been a little bit clearer. My bad!

Ummmm. The OP or thread title says they're opening a wine bar or something.

Jeez. All this discussion because you didn't read? Oh! Come on!!

I can see it if we're debating something about statutory interpretation, but...

I'm glad you mentioned it when you did. We coulda been here all night. :P

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    Citizen wrote:

I agree "restaurant or club" are pretty important elements in the code section.

Bbut what I am saying is in the case of Whole Foods, the on-premise consumption seals the deal.

They don't sell and serve alcohol for on-premise consumption.

Maybe I should have been a little bit clearer. My bad!
    If you read the code, whether or not they DO is not the issue, whether or not they've been issued an ABC license TO is the issue...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

Do an ABC license search, it will clarify the code. If they have a "Restaurant license" to serve alcohol, it is OC only.

If it is any other type, you are good to go.

Post imported post

-C4- wrote:
    Any OCed there? Apparently they are putting a wine bar in so once that is no more CC.
    I OC there a lot - will be a lot less now that Wegman's is open in Woodbridge.

Never had a problem.

Post imported post

OC'd there last night with a blackhawk serpa holster for quite a while, wandered all over the store trying to find some vanilla bean pods for my creme brule...did i just lose man points.....? I was expecting at least some mention, as the types who shop there are typically not the gun friendly sort. However not so much as a sideways glance.

Post imported post

treadresistant wrote:
    OC'd there last night with a blackhawk serpa holster for quite a while, wandered all over the store trying to find some vanilla bean pods for my creme brule...did i just lose man points.....? I was expecting at least some mention, as the types who shop there are typically not the gun friendly sort. However not so much as a sideways glance.

<sarcasm>
    If you didn't get noticed, you must have been doing something wrong!

You should have walked around the shopping center a little longer until someone said something!

You know the only reason we carry is to get noticed.
    </sarcasm>

I rarely have anything said anymore from non-LE (except the "Is that a Glock" question). I was in that area every Sunday for past eight (8) months. Theyare all used to it - even a few OC outside of work and now have CHPs. They might have just been thankful you didn't have three tired and screaming kids with you.