• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whole Foods In Arlington (Clarendon), VA

-C4-

imported post

Any OCed there? Apparently they are putting a wine bar in so once that is no more CC.

soloban

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I wouldn't think so. Unless I'm mis-remembering 18.2-308.J.3. Restaurant or club.
You remember correct sir:

18-2-308.J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

§ 4.1-100. Definitions.

"Club" means any private nonprofit corporation or association which is the owner, lessee, or occupant of an establishment operated solely for a national, social, patriotic, political, athletic, or other like purpose, but not for pecuniary gain, the advantages of which belong to all of the members. It also means the establishment so operated. A corporation or association shall not lose its status as a club because of the conduct of charitable gaming conducted pursuant to Article 1.1:1 (§ 18.2-340.15 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 18.2 in which nonmembers participate frequently or in large numbers, provided that no alcoholic beverages are served or consumed in the room where such charitable gaming is being conducted while such gaming is being conducted and that no alcoholic beverages are made available upon the premises to any person who is neither a member nor a bona fide guest of a member.

"Restaurant" means, for a mixed beverage license other than a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, an established place of business (i) where meals with substantial entrees are regularly sold and (ii) which has adequate facilities and sufficient employees for cooking, preparing, and serving such meals for consumption at tables in dining areas on the premises, and includes establishments specializing in full course meals with a single substantial entree.

I'm not a Lawyer, but I think you're ok to carry in Whole Foods.

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." :dude:

Sheriff

imported post

Some of the key words in the code are.....

"..... for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board."

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We've beat this one to death many times before. It has to be a restaurant or club. They can sell beer at public events for on premisesconsumption but the sale and consumption alone doesn't mean you can't CC there.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:

"..... for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board."

No, the key words include "...the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board..."

As BobCav has so succinctly stated, we have beat this to death. The search function is your friend. ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Now, now. Just because we have a high post count and have heard it all before doesn't mean we have to be cranky to the new guys. :)

Sheriff

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

Tess wrote:
No, the key words include "...the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board..."

As BobCav has so succinctly stated, we have beat this to death. The search function is your friend. ;)

I wa speaking of the portion above in green font and underlined....

........... on-premises consumption.

That's the key moreso than anything else in the code section, IMHO.

Sheriff

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Now, now. Just because we have a high post count and have heard it all before doesn't mean we have to be cranky to the new guys. :)

I noticed a couple of them cranky after the NOVA picnic today.

Must have been the heat and humidity. :D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
SNIP ........... on-premises consumption.

That's the key moreso than anything else in the code section, IMHO.

Not unless its a restaurant or club that has been given a license for on-premises consumption. From 18.2-308.J.3:

No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia

Sheriff

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Not unless its a restaurant or club that has been given a license for on-premises consumption. From 18.2-308.J.3:

No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia
I agree "restaurant or club" are pretty important elements in the code section.

Bbut what I am saying is in the case of Whole Foods, the on-premise consumption seals the deal.

They don't sell and serve alcohol for on-premise consumption.

Maybe I should have been a little bit clearer. My bad! :D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Bbut what I am saying is in the case of Whole Foods, the on-premise consumption seals the deal.

Ummmm. The OP or thread title says they're opening a wine bar or something.

Jeez. All this discussion because you didn't read? :) Oh! Come on!! :)

I can see it if we're debating something about statutory interpretation, but...

I'm glad you mentioned it when you did. We coulda been here all night. :):p

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Citizen wrote:

If you read the code, whether or not they DO is not the issue, whether or not they've been issued an ABC license TO is the issue...

hsmith

imported post

Do an ABC license search, it will clarify the code. If they have a "Restaurant license" to serve alcohol, it is OC only.

If it is any other type, you are good to go.

treadresistant

imported post

OC'd there last night with a blackhawk serpa holster for quite a while, wandered all over the store trying to find some vanilla bean pods for my creme brule...did i just lose man points.....? I was expecting at least some mention, as the types who shop there are typically not the gun friendly sort. However not so much as a sideways glance.

possumboy

imported post

treadresistant wrote:
OC'd there last night with a blackhawk serpa holster for quite a while, wandered all over the store trying to find some vanilla bean pods for my creme brule...did i just lose man points.....? I was expecting at least some mention, as the types who shop there are typically not the gun friendly sort. However not so much as a sideways glance.

<sarcasm>
If you didn't get noticed, you must have been doing something wrong!

You should have walked around the shopping center a little longer until someone said something!

You know the only reason we carry is to get noticed.
</sarcasm>

I rarely have anything said anymore from non-LE (except the "Is that a Glock" question). I was in that area every Sunday for past eight (8) months. Theyare all used to it - even a few OC outside of work and now have CHPs. They might have just been thankful you didn't have three tired and screaming kids with you.