• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about the NO GUNS sign...

tamworth

imported post

see the sign here, I'm sure you know it well:
http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/pubs/cc_hb12_sign.pdf

What is meant by "unless authorized by law"? Since I'm in OH, I'm authorized by law to OC: can I ignore the sign if I'm OC-ing? or, If I have a CCW (which I don't), would I then be 'authorized by law'?

Also, I've read about the very ironically named 30.06 sign that puts a little more enforcement in the establishment's power... is this sign what that is? or does Ohio have any such sign?

To cap it off, will the Great Castle Doctrine affect this when it is activated?

I've been into gun rights for about two years now, and have just this week visited your website and discovered that I could have been open-carrying all this time while I'm (still) saving up for a Concealed Carry class... although living in a very yuppie-town, I wouldn't be able to avoid sheep running for the closest police man officer. I've read of stories that also state that criminals will take notice and rob your house if they suspect you have guns there. I know that there are two or more schools of thought to every subject, but I've got 2 kids and a wife, so I'm feeling as though OC might not be for me, but am still Ecstatic that it is indeed a right that I have access to!

Any enlightenment would be great, and thanks for your time.

Legba

imported post

1. By "authorized by law" as an exception to the "no guns" signage, they mean cops, agents/employees of the state acting in an official capacity, etc.

2. Not familiar with the "30.06" sign designation, sorry.

3. The Castle Doctrine bill was signed and is supposed to take effect on or about September 8th, this year.

As for the criminals targeting your house for guns thing, I am far more convinced of that than that people will grab guns from OCers. Having had my dad's house burglarized and family guns stolen, maybe I'm just more sensitive, but if you leave them unsecured, you're asking for trouble. JMO.

-ljp

tamworth

imported post

I see. So neither open nor concealed carry is permitted beyond postings of this sign. Except, I see, after the Castle Doctrine becomes active, CCWs will be allowed into NO GUN parking decks...

Is there any online-database of places we can and can't go?

Will it be as simple as looking for this sign?

If I don't see the sign, is it safe to assume guns are allowed?

Thanks for your patience.

RT48

imported post

tamworth wrote:
Also, I've read about the very ironically named 30.06 sign that puts a little more enforcement in the establishment's power... is this sign what that is? or does Ohio have any such sign?
30.06 refers to the Texas law which describes what "no guns" need to have to have the force of law in Texas.

Ohio law does not specify in any way the size, verbiage, or anything else needed by private property "no guns" signs. Lined school notebook paper with "no guns" written in crayon would have the force of law as long as it is posted "conspicuously".

The sign you see on the Ohio AG's site is primarily for those places that must post by law: government buildings, etc.

tamworth

imported post

so, not to beat a dead pony, but what would then be the possible consequences for ignoring these signs? Concealed is concealed I know, but if made, would they just ask you to leave? would they call the police or let their own security team deal with you? would you be arrested for violating the sign? Open carry? Thanks for your patience and willingness to share!

MetalChris

imported post

tamworth wrote:
so, not to beat a dead pony, but what would then be the possible consequences for ignoring these signs? Concealed is concealed I know, but if made, would they just ask you to leave? would they call the police or let their own security team deal with you? would you be arrested for violating the sign? Open carry? Thanks for your patience and willingness to share!
Don't ever ignore them, just "fail to see" them as you walk in the door. ;)

Pauly

imported post

If you see a gun buster sign why would you choose to ignore it? Why walk in the store at all? NO GUNS, NO MONEY! Ignoring the sign and breaking the law does not help our case that law abiding citizens carry guns, too.

I am not pointing fingers but you asked for input. That's mine.

RT48

imported post

tamworth wrote:
I know of at least one case in Greater Cleveland that was reported in the news last Fall. A women was prosecuted for carrying in a hospital that was posted.