Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: From the Party Of Principle Website

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    VA Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Begs the question, modus ponens, what then is principle that both, so different, may claim it?

    In the brief, Barr, who also serves on the board for the National Rifle Association, stated the Libertarian Party "is an established political party dedicated to a strict adherence to the Constitution," which includes "the right of an individual to keep and bear arms in the defense of life, liberty and property."

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    VA Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Begs the question, modus ponens, what then is principle that both, so different, may claim it?
    One more time on YOUR own words.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    One more time on YOUR own words.
    On my own words, like in my own words on my honor? Yes.

    That is why I am not a libertarian or a member of the national reasonable-regulation ass; that one may be a member of both in principle is false.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    One more time on YOUR own words.
    On my own words, like in my own words on my honor? Yes.

    That is why I am not a libertarian or a member of the national reasonable-regulation ass; that one may be a member of both in principle is false.
    What is with this air of all-or-nothing that pervades these forums?

    Really? The NRA? I know that they are not perfect, that there are points that they are severally lacking on.

    But they stand on the right side of things. And who better than a Libertarian to effect change where change is needed? If you don't like something about the NRA, then start working to change the attitudes that prevail within it. But all in all, the NRA works to support the rights of handgun owners, and has been a strong ally in the fight to challenge draconian handgun laws.

    For example: Who just filed lawsuits against Chicago and San Fransisco, and is preparing lawsuits against Los Angeles?

    Why do so many of us keep bickering on the details, instead of coming together to move the general idea forward? The Anti's work well together, and if we don't put aside nit-pick differences, they will advance.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    Who filed the Chicago law suit?? not the NRA
    Article below ...
    SAF Files Lawsuit Challenging Chicago’s Handgun Ban Published by Mark Taff at 9:05 am under news release
    For Immediate Release
    Contact: Alan Gottlieb (425) 454-7012
    BELLEVUE, WA – Following Thursday’s (5-4) ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment protects an individual civil right to keep and bear arms, and that a municipal gun ban violates that right, the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA) filed a federal lawsuit (complaint) challenging the City of Chicago’s long-standing handgun ban.
    “Chicago’s handgun ban has failed to stop violent crime,” SAF founder Alan Gottlieb stated. “It’s time to give the Constitution a chance.”

    In addition to SAF and ISRA, plaintiffs include Chicago residents Otis McDonald, a retiree who has been working with police to rid his neighborhood of drug dealers, and who wants to have a handgun at his home; Adam Orlov, a former Evanston police officer; software engineer David Lawson and his wife, Colleen, a hypnotherapist, whose home has been targeted by burglars. Attorney Alan Gura, who argued the District of Columbia challenge before the high court, and Chicago area attorney David G. Sigale, represent the plaintiffs.
    “Our goal,” Gura said “is to require state and local officials to respect our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Chicago’s handgun ban, and some of its gun registration requirements, are clearly unconstitutional.”
    “The right to defend our homes and families against those who would do them harm, whether a random criminal, violent ex-domestic partner, or other wrongdoer, is one of the principles upon which America was founded,” Sigale said. “It is time the City of Chicago trust its honest, law-abiding residents with this Constitutional right.”
    “The city has been denying gun owners their civil rights for a long time and I think this lawsuit could have a profound effect on their registration law,” ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson added.
    Under the gun law currently in place, firearms must be re-registered annually.
    “Each time,” Gura said, “a tax is imposed, forms must be filled out, photographs submitted. A person who owns more than one gun will find herself or himself constantly in the process of registering each gun as it comes due for expiration. If registration is to be required, once is enough.”
    He further noted that Chicago’s bizarre requirement that guns be registered before they are acquired often times makes registration impossible. The penalty for failure to comply with the registration scheme is that a gun not re-registered on time can never be registered again. Gura likened it to a requirement to dispose of a car if it is not re-registered on time with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
    The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation’s oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, the Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.
    -END-


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    VA Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post

    Phoenixphire wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    One more time on YOUR own words.
    On my own words, like in my own words on my honor? Yes.

    That is why I am not a libertarian or a member of the national reasonable-regulation ass; that one may be a member of both in principle is false.
    What is with this air of all-or-nothing that pervades these forums?

    Really? The NRA? I know that they are not perfect, that there are points that they are severally lacking on.

    But they stand on the right side of things. And who better than a Libertarian to effect change where change is needed? If you don't like something about the NRA, then start working to change the attitudes that prevail within it. But all in all, the NRA works to support the rights of handgun owners, and has been a strong ally in the fight to challenge draconian handgun laws.

    For example: Who just filed lawsuits against Chicago and San Fransisco, and is preparing lawsuits against Los Angeles?

    Why do so many of us keep bickering on the details, instead of coming together to move the general idea forward? The Anti's work well together, and if we don't put aside nit-pick differences, they will advance.
    Exactly, it's the attitudes of people like Doug that hurt us as much as the antis. The NRA isn't good enough for him because they compromiseand the LP isn't good enough either even though they don't compromise. People like him think they look smarter by pointing outthe bad things in every organization and not belonging to any of them will help us. Then there the first to cry when new gun control laws get brought out. Go figure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •