• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First night OC, first night hassled

azcdlfred

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I think young guys get the most hassle, in general, or anyone who looks "suspicious," whatever that means to the other party. Just the way it is.
Age has it's advantage. I'm 60 with white hair. Cops never give me a second look. When I work the AzCDL table at guns shows I run acrossyounger menwho look like a human Etch-a-Sketch and think shrapnel is a fashion statement, and wonder why they're hassled when they open carry - usually with their Gatt stuffed in the front of their pants. It's like wearing an "Arrest Me" sign.

On the other hand, there are the "Strange Ranger" wannabe Rambo types, wearingcamo, a thigh holster, and an offensive t-shirt looking like extras from the movie Deliverance that are presented as the stereotypical gun owner.

If you're going to carry openly, remember YOU represent ALL gun owners. Look and dress approriately.

/rant off :cuss:

Fred

uberingram

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
I think young guys get the most hassle, in general, or anyone who looks "suspicious," whatever that means to the other party. Just the way it is.
Age has it's advantage. I'm 60 with white hair. Cops never give me a second look. When I work the AzCDL table at guns shows I run acrossyounger menwho look like a human Etch-a-Sketch and think shrapnel is a fashion statement, and wonder why they're hassled when they open carry - usually with their Gatt stuffed in the front of their pants. It's like wearing an "Arrest Me" sign.

On the other hand, there are the "Strange Ranger" wannabe Rambo types, wearingcamo, a thigh holster, and an offensive t-shirt looking like extras from the movie Deliverance that are presented as the stereotypical gun owner.

If you're going to carry openly, remember YOU represent ALL gun owners. Look and dress approriately.

/rant off :cuss:

Fred
I hear ya. I'm 25 and dress in clean jeans, tshirt and FORWARD facing hat. Yes I have one arm in a full sleeve tattoo but I'm not going out of my way to look like I should be arrested just for existing. I work at AutoZone for one of my jobs and I had some kid my age come in OC'ing looking like complete shit. Dirty wife beater, hat cocked to the side and the sloppiest looking paddle holster I've ever seen. All I could do was think to myself "Thanks dude. No really, thanks for creating the stereotype that I'm going to get labeled with."

*sigh*

thx997303

imported post

That really sucks, My wife and I are only 19, and when we OC, which is about everyday, we dress nice. Unfortunately sometimes I end up wearing pants with holes in them, but I only have a few good pairs. It sucks.

Not to mention I wear my hat straight, wranglers, a nice clean t-shirt, some nice boots, and a Springfield XD9 tactical in a Serpa paddle Holster. No tattos or peircings and I'm clean shaven with a military hair cut.

So yeah, I try to look nice, I hate it when people dress like the person you described.

I think gun and holster selection may play a part as well. If you have a nice, well maintained quality gun, and a quality holster, people don't seem to notice as much.

When I had my S&W Model 10 in a brown leather holster, people noticed, but they don't notice me now that I have the XD

AbNo

imported post

uberingram wrote:
I didn't bother asking, sorry.  :(

I'm an extremely non confrontational person and thought it best to just leave plus, to be honest, I was a tad jittery being that it was my first night OC.

Don't worry. It happened to me, too.

I brought backup with me, and I don't mean the metal kind. ;)

He's not as adamant about it on foot, but he OC's when he drives. :)

Still, I think you handled the situation well. It'll take a few "OMG! GUN!" incidents before you get your routine straight.

Gravity_Tester

imported post

The "I'd rather you left that in your car" line is easily countered with a "I think it would be extremely irresponsible to leave a firearm unattended in a vehicle. That's just begging for someone to steal it."

:)

uberingram

imported post

AbNo wrote:
uberingram wrote:
I didn't bother asking, sorry. :(

I'm an extremely non confrontational person and thought it best to just leave plus, to be honest, I was a tad jittery being that it was my first night OC.

Don't worry. It happened to me, too.

I brought backup with me, and I don't mean the metal kind. ;)

He's not as adamant about it on foot, but he OC's when he drives. :)

Still, I think you handled the situation well. It'll take a few "OMG! GUN!" incidents before you get your routine straight.
haha, I hear ya dude. I was at a Taco Bell the other night and some wiry teenage girl working the register went all gawk eyed and proclaimed rather loudly:

Her: Are you a cop?!
Me: No.
Her: Do you WANT to get shot?
Me: By who? (At this point I have a serious What-the-heck-are-you-smoking look)
Her: Cops SHOOT people with guns!
Me: You're not from here, are you?

Then her coworker starts to almost cry she's laughing so hard and trying to explain to this girl that regular people can open carry in Arizona. After my meal the 3 of us had a nice little talk about Arizona gun rights. It was rather pleasant. :)

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A good one I got today, @ Fry's 8:30 a.m. Before my coffee.

By the bacon and sausages.

16 year old girl: are you a cop?
Me: No
Girl: are you a firefighter?
Me: No
Girl: What the hell are you then?!?!
Me: A bunch of molecules constructed from atoms, that has the right to protect themselves.
Girl: Huh???
Me: do you know what the 2nd amendment is?
Girl: NO!
Me: Go read the consitution then. You won't get anywhere in life reading thoes gossip magizines you have in your basket there.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I get 'looks' now 'n then... I see 'em staring. Noobs mostly. I look like a freakin' 'gunfighter' anyway... I think I was born in the wrong century. IOC cross draw... cowboy hat, dusty boots, Wranglers... Wyatt Earp type moustache. Some of my responses to El Pistola (actual questions):

Q Why do you carry a gun? A "Cause the Sheriff's too heavy!"

Q Is that loaded? A "Are you?" or "An unloaded gun is just a stick."

Q Is that a real gun? A "No... it just plays one on TV."

Q Is that supposed to be a gun? "Here's yer sign!"

Q Is that legal? A "No... I'm an outlaw... 'Can't you tell?"

Q Is that a 9mm? A "No... this .45 will actually kill somethin'."

Q Do you have a permit for that? A "Permit? I don' need no steekin' permit!"

Q Is that legal? A "Are you?